Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Time Warner Cable Launches Wireless Service

Discussion in 'Wireless News' started by DandyDon, Apr 1, 2005.

1. DandyDon

DandyDon Senior Member

My Phone:
    i95cl
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    I found this interesting: "Sprint handsets are being used in conjunction with the service launch.

Reports first began circulating in January of this year that Time Warner Cable and Sprint were in talks to allow the cable operator to offer wireless service as an MVNO."

Comments? Could this be the start of something new?

Story Here

2. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    So what is this? Every company in the US launching MVNOs with Sprint? Who's next? McDonald's Wireless? All of them put together will make Sprint's network users grow very fast. So Sprint better be prepared for what's coming.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ehcruzan

ehcruzan Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    Let's just hope that Sprint doesn't experience a network-wide outage. That will shut down the majority of the cellular operators. :D ;)

4. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I think Sprints motto one day could be 1 million MNVO's and growing :lol:

5. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    LOL!...They are really on the verge of adding more customers indirectly than directly. Given this trend I wouldn't be surprised if one day Sprint considers abandoning direct sales altogether and convert their business to a wholesaler like Nextwave wanted to be.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. WiggyFife

WiggyFife still knows nothing!!!

My Phone:
    Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Or over 1Million MVNO's proudly served!!! :D

7. ehcruzan

ehcruzan Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    Now that's a scary thought. I see the MVNOs as a positive for the carriers as it has much potential to reduce mobile-mobile minutes thereby increasing peak minute usage. Of course VOIP will most likely render this issue mute.

8. proud2bamerican8

proud2bamerican8 Junior Member

Sprint understands there's more than one way to sign up a customer. Most of the other major carriers are very reticent to set up an MVNO thereby creating their own competition in a manner of speaking. But Sprint has capacity for sale and just like the cereal manufacturers in the grocery store who package both the name brand and the store brand cereal and put them on the shelf next to each other in similar boxes; Sprint says "Buy this or buy that, but buy from Sprint one way or other."

Oh yeah Earthlink and SK just announced their intention of launching an MVNO partnership as well. Will they use Sprint also? Chances are looking strong at this point.

Qwest uses Sprint now and SBC had to shell out billions more to buy ATT to keep them from going forward with a signed MVNO deal with Sprint, inked just 3 months after ATT unloaded ATT Wireless on Cingular (SBC/bs).

9. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

Time Warner will Not MVO a Regional Bell
    which they in Competition with.

10. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Don't forget the AT&T deal fell through so I think they have room to sign a few more MVNO's.

I think Earthlink will sign on with Sprint since Sprint used to own a stake in Earthlink.

11. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It will be interesting to see if any other carrier's start signing on MVNO's.
    I think Cingular isn't in a position to do this now, at least beyond 7-11 untill they have most of there network integrated, I believe in their FCC filings they said something about Disney doing this with Cingular.
    You have to hand it to Sprint, they are agressive on doing this.

12. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It fell through? I wasn't aware of that. When was that announced? I know given the circumstances an AT&T MVNO with Sprint makes little sense, but I saw many other things that made little sense happen just weeks before Cingular acquired AWS.

I thought Sprint had a small percentage of Eartlink. Something like 7%. I know they used to own like 18% which then went down to 7%. But I was not aware that they got rid of that portion as well.

13. crood

crood Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Moment
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    It makes sense. They could provide the backbone, but leave billing and Customer Service to the MVNO's. It could save them a lot of money. Also, once an MVNO is locked in to a provider, it would be very expensive for them to switch.

14. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The deal fell thru with the SBC merger with AT&T Corp. At that time it was announced, they said the MVNO was off unless the merger wasn't approved. It would be kinda bad if SBC went into an MVNO with Sprint, what would that say to the Cingular people? :biggrin:

15. Critic

Critic The Digital Ruler

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Actually, I thought the SK Earthlink MVNO would be with VZW, since EVDO is the selling point...