Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Time for an upgrade

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by Oppie, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Oppie

Oppie Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX-9400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    I haven't been keeping upon on new cell phones like I use to and now its time for my upgrade. I currently have a Samsung a930. It's odd looking and a bit qwirky, but has been a great phone for me. Reception, call retention and battery life A+. I don't use the integrated mp3 player. I find myself texting a lot as that's how my son communicates! Issue: this darn a930 does not learn new works. Any time I'm "coming Home", it defaults to "coming good"....annoying.

I'm not a PDA guy yet don't need a phone for music (I have a MP3 player) can anyone suggest a very good phone that can "learn" new words or least remember word use preferences?

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    From what I can tell, the newer Samsungs on Verizon do not have the ability to learn new words. Motorolas and LGs have word prediction software that learn words (known as iTap and T9, respectively).

I felt your frustration with the A930... the lack of prediction got on my nerves :( I haven't tried any other nonPDA Verizon phones recently, so I cannot offer any opinions on them. :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

Take a good look at the LG VX8350 or even the Motorola W385 those both will have what you want.

4. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 25 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Don't forget about the enV and the upcoming enV2 for good text messaging, otherwise I agree with Ryan about the VX8350.

5. DazednConfused

DazednConfused Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG-VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    K so sorry to hijack the thread but I am also looking at a new upgrade now that my new every 2 has come in. I just want something slim, small, capable, and not over 50 bucks after discounts. So I've narrowed it down to a few: the samsung sch-u740, samsung gleam, Motorola MOTOKRZR K1m, Motorola W385. Anyone have any recommendations?

6. M in LA

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I wouldn't recommend the Samsung, Go with either Motorola's. The K1m is a little fancier than the W385. Might have a few more options.

7. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

Yeah stay away from the Sammy's but that is my opinion. The moto K1m may give you problems as they have been known to be slow. The 385 is not as feature set but might be the best choice. I know the LG 5400 is not slim but give it a look.

8. DazednConfused

My Phone:
    LG-VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    how about the Motorola MOTORAZR maxx Ve?

9. M in LA

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    The RAZR Maxx VE should be fine, but again, it is a higher end phone. It you want it, go for it. From what I've heard, the Maxx VE is a pretty good phone (just a notch below the RAZR2 model).

10. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

I think you should just go to the store and look at them get a feel for them. The choose one take it home if you dont like it return for another one. We cant tell you what will be best for you.:O

11. M in LA

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    This'll work too...:)

12. DazednConfused

My Phone:
    LG-VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    So store trip done, my choice is now between the maxx ve and the motorizr z6tv hah. Anyone know of any technical problems with either? I've been reading tons of reviews and it seems like the z6tv has less "issues" overall in the performance department.

13. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

14. leafsfan81

leafsfan81 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Wirelessly posted (Sammy U540: LGE-VX8350/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

I used to love the Samsung 540 but I got burned three times with defective hardware. At that point the only thing that I could come up with is that the phone was simply flawed. I got Verizon to get me a new phone, the 8350, and I could not be happier. Reception is fantastic and battery life is so much better.

15. Oppie

Oppie Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX-9400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    I think I will take the advice of all and avoid another Samsung. iTap: I've never had a Moto so I'm curious about the iTap vs. T9. Sounds like people either love it or hate it. Leaning towards LG 8700, W-385 and may look at that env2 if the price is right. I alway carry my phone in-pocket so I think clam shell may be best - but considering that env2.

16. leafsfan81

leafsfan81 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I personally like the first Env over the videos that I've seen of the Env2. I like that the Env2 is more pocketable, but something about the style of the handset has me thinking it is something a teenage girl is more likely to carry around with her.

17. Oppie

Oppie Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX-9400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    ....or teenage boys. My son is 15 and that will likelyI do like the look of it be his new phone come June. I do like the look better than Env2 better the the original env and Voyager. It does appear to be more pocket ble. Small outside screen, but lots of phones have that look now.

18. leafsfan81

leafsfan81 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I guess I know what the allure of text message is - it's quick and cheap. 9 times out of ten, the text messaging will go through even if your calls will not. Phones that enable the user to quickly and easily text people are going to have more of a draw than conventional devices that do not.

Even devices that have come out that specialize in performing/functioning as music players can only have so much success - if the text message component is at all compromised you might as well forget it.

Samsung realized this and came out with the u740 for Verizon. While the dual-hinge was a nice novelty, the compressed QWERTY board wasn't something one could easily use. [When compared to an EnV or Voyager.]