Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Time between FCC Approve & Carrier Release

Discussion in 'AT&T Wireless Forum' started by KevinJames, Mar 16, 2011.

1. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Wow, it appears I haven't posted here in 2 years?!
    I've searched the web & cannot find any definitive answer (probably cuz there ain't one, LOL).

I am in eager expectation of the Samsung Infuse, which I have read just passed FCC approval. From posts I've read, it appears ATT could release it anywhere from one week to one month (historical data), afterwards. Any insights?

So where have I been? (If you care...)
    Work has kept me very busy. Two years ago I bought the Samsung Impression, and I must say, I have been very impressed. My contract is actually up now (3/2011) but I'm waiting for the release of the Infuse. (I thought of holding out for he Galaxy S II, but I really don't need dual-core.)

The only two boards I have ever been active on (with any regularity) are this one and an MS-Excel forum. Haven't needed either and busy with a "real" life, so just haven't been following any boards.

In the interim, I've been diagnosed with leukemia (CLL) and have other severe issues. I'll be turning 60 very shortly but still manage to find time for my photography hobby.

Hope the regulars are all well and busy. Take care. (I wonder if Larry is still around)

1 person likes this.
  2. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 27 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 12 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Welcome back KJ!!!

From what I've seen, there is no rhyme or reason as to how long it takes for FCC approval to carrier release. I'm thinking carrier testing has more to do with the time gap than anything else. Verizon's problems with the HTC Thunderbolt are an example. This phone was supposed to be out already, but "issues" have forced its delay.

Sorry to hear about your health. I hope things improve for you there.

Oh and larry is still around, as are quite a few other regulars. Hope to see more of you here! :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    1 person likes this.
  3. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Hello there Mobile Mke

Your response/observerations are pretty much what I found during my search. It is carrier and device specific and, due to testing and other business constraints, no "pattern" can be expected. I reflect now on the android OS release by AT&T on the Captivate for upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2 (Froyo). It was delayed several months. I just put it on my wife's phone last week.

In other handset news: I have been compiling a list of apps I want to put on my phone when I do upgrade. So far, my two favorites (utilitarian) are:

Google Goggles: [video=youtube;Hhgfz0zPmH4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhgfz0zPmH4[/video]
    Car Finder: Car Finder AR - Android app on AppBrain

4. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Since nobody has actually done the research, I decided to do it myself. Using just AT&T phones released since the Samsung Captivate (which really is a very small sampling of data), I found the following:

The minimum number of days between FCC approval and carrier release date is 37 days (1 month and 1 week). The maximum is 96 days (a bit over 3 months).

My resources are as follows:
    For FCC approval date: phonearena.com
    For carrier release date: phonescoop.com

This only includes phones that non-manufacturer proprietary software (Android, iOS, Win7). And actually, I didn't include the iPhone4 in this. It seems it had the quickest turn around (about one-half month).

2 people like this.
  5. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung S20 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Mint Mobile
    Hello Kevin!
    Good to hear from you, but sorry to hear about the illness.
    Larry is still around here somewhere.....

Interesting question....thanks for digging up the answer. :thumb:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...