Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Tim Cook Refuses To Comply With Fed Court Order

Discussion in 'The Roaming Zone' started by palandri, Feb 17, 2016.

1. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    The United States Justice Department today asked the court overseeing its ongoing iPhone unlocking battle with Apple to postpone a hearing scheduled to take place on Tuesday, March 22, reports Politico. The DoJ says new leads have been discovered that could provide it with a way to unlock the iPhone 5c used by San Bernardino shooter Syed Farook without involving Apple.

On Sunday, March 20, 2016, an outside party demonstrated to the FBI a possible method for unlocking [terrorist Syed] Farook's iPhone," federal prosecutors said in a filing Monday afternoon. "Testing is required to determine whether it is a viable method that will not compromise data on Farook's iPhone. If the method is viable, it should eliminate the need for the assistance from Apple Inc. ("Apple") set forth in the All Writs Act Order in this case."

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/03/21/doj-postpones-trial-with-apple/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

palandri likes this.
  2. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    With the way all of this has all been brought to the court of public opinion, I am still betting the encryption is already broken, and this is just a ploy to get all the terrorist to use iPhones so the government can listen in to the terrorist.

3. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Or given the extremely sad events in Brussels, they wish to inform people not to use an iPhone. Timing seems odd.

Regardless, I'm working under the assumption that Android phones are as encrypted (if they have the latest OS). Are you saying that recent Android OS is less secure? I didn't think so.

Maybe Apple stores should have a separate check out line for those individuals. Maybe that would be a good sting operation. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

I guess it was the latter ☹️

Win-win. FBI gets what it wants and Apple doesn't have to set a precedent.

So what was on this iPhone the last month that was new over the iCloud backups that Apple already provided?

5. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    @viewfly: Regarding: "So what was on this iPhone...?" Answer: The number to the FBI's favorite donut shop. Oh wait, that's the police, not the FBI.

6. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    It's far from being over

7. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    I guess that's why 3rd party hackers had to be called in to do it ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Update:

"Despite having accessed the contents of San Bernardino shooter Syed Farook's iPhone 5C over two weeks ago, the law enforcement agency has not been able to uncover any significant evidence or data. The federal law enforcement agency is believed to be still in the process of analysing information on the iPhone, according to CBS News.

The FBI's lack of success in finding useful information from the iPhone was already predicted by Salihin Kondoker, the husband of Anies Knodoker, a survivor of the San Bernardino shooting. In a letter sent to the Judge presiding over Apple's case against the FBI, he said: "In my opinion it is unlikely there is any valuable information on this phone. Why then would someone store vital contacts related to an attack on a phone they knew the country had access to? They destroyed their personal phones after the attack. And I believe they did that for a reason.""

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/fbi-yet-find-anything-tangible-san-bernardino-shooters-iphone-1554966

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    With all due respect to the victim's families, unless he is an intelligence officer with detailed information about the case, his "opinion" means nothing, really.

That's hilarious, now Apple is complaining that the FBI isn't telling them how they can hack their own phones? LOL :LOL:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    'The U.S. Justice Department dropped its fight to get Apple to help it unlock an iPhone in a New York drug case after someone provided the device's passcode to authorities. In a letter to the judge, obtained by BuzzFeed News, prosecutors explained they no longer needed Apple's assistance'

Someone: The owner of this phone ( the criminal ) came forward and gave the FBI his password. They just asked nicely VF

With the other story.

'United States Federal Bureau of Investigations Director James Comey today gave some hints on how much the agency paid to access the iPhone of San Bernardino shooter Syed Farook, suggesting a sum upwards of $1.3 million. '

And got nothing out of it. If the FBI hadn't changed the Apple ID, Apple would have given them the back up for free.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk