Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

CENTRAL U.S. -- this is so frustrating !!!

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by Eric12341, May 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric12341

Eric12341 New Member

My Phone:
    HTC Arrive
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    once upon a time I was getting really great service with sprint. my 3G speeds were steadily in the high triple digits to low 1000s that I didn't even bother to use my home WiFi. but now ever since February when this blizzard struck my home town in the far north suburbs of Chicago IL. my service has been ____ my 3G speeds are ridiculously slow. it took me 30 minutes alone to even be able to begin typing this post. the apps I have don't even work over half the time because my connection speed is so slow, my battery overheats and drains like crazy because it has to fight for a stronger signal. I called sprint and this one rep ____ed up my data even more which caused me a hard reset on my arrive just to get it working at its current ____ty levels. called sprint another day and was told that cell sites were damaged from the blizzard and are being upgraded and worked on (this was on 4/5 I was promised this would be fixed by 3/25 when I first bought my arrive ). here we are on 5/8 and it seems that my speeds are even worse especially since my home internet is off so I can't use my WiFi like I was. what's more notable is when im at school in Chicago my speeds were like how they were before!! return back to my hometown pure ____ again. im soon going to be paying near $100 a month for service as soon as my credits I had them give me run up. they even offered me an airwave after I pay $150 for it to help with my service but it won't work with my 3G service or at all because currently my home internet connection is off. it just seems like no progress at all has been made so I don't know whether to tough it out or pay an ETF and goto a different carrier. note: no other carrier in my area has a wp7 phone with the coverage and price that sprint has except for maybe tmobile.

2. Shizam76

Shizam76 Shizam! Babyyyyy!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    If you go with TMobile, you will have 2 years (until your freshly signed contract is up) before the merged at&t will force you onto their plan and handset (provided the merger goes through).

If the blizzard 3 months ago damaged sites and you are getting crap service now, and they haven't fixed it yet, you may be better off paying the ETF and hitting the road. How much longer on your contract?

3. Eric12341

Eric12341 New Member

My Phone:
    HTC Arrive
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    my contract was recently and secretly renewed in march when I bought my arrive. however since Tuesday it seems as if things are getting better im getting more average speeds in the afternoon (400-900) and slower speeds in the evening (150 to 300) used to be less than half of those and I was also able to watch movies on Netflix at TV quality without interruptions in the afternoon and overnight hours which before was barely possible even overnight. either this could be because the upgrades and repairs are near completion or that there aren't many people stressing the tower as a result of the warm weather lately. I'll know Saturday for sure which one it is as the weekend is when i get the dialup level speeds and slower.

4. Shizam76

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    That's weird...I get better speeds later at night than in the afternoon.

5. Eric12341

Eric12341 New Member

My Phone:
    HTC Arrive
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yea I do too but it seems that now the speeds I get in the overnight and early morning hours (450-1025) have extended over to the afternoon and the slower speeds I got in the afternoon (150-300) in the evening now and the even slower speeds I got in the evening (65-150) are gone now.

6. Shizam76

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    There do seem to be alot of people around complaining about speed. And there are speed problems around too.

7. Eric12341

Eric12341 New Member

My Phone:
    HTC Arrive
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    it was slower over the weekend especially yesterday but all seems better again now, seems to be a capacity issue. I wonder if VZ had this issue too

8. Shizam76

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    Network vision enhancements are coming soon....so these problems won't last forever. Phones with the multimode chip are due out September I believe.

9. Eric12341

Eric12341 New Member

My Phone:
    HTC Arrive
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yea but they're android phones unfortunately. the problems returned yesterday when I was trying to watch Netflix. so it seems that the improvements were due to people enjoying the nice weather instead of using the internet and stressing the towers.

10. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Slow speeds were just part of why we switched to at&t after 6 years with Sprint. There were times Sprint's download speeds were about the same as Nextel speeds, which is just insane.

11. Eric12341

Eric12341 New Member

My Phone:
    HTC Arrive
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    things are trying to get better here with the speeds. today seems better than yesterday was and all of last week was better than the last 3 months. before all of this I was getting really good speeds and things are heading back in that direction.

12. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    Every carrier has trouble spots. For me here in Michigan, Sprint bottomed out to the point where I could not even establish a data connection, so I switched to Verizon....who then bottomed out. It has been many months and both carriers still stink here.
    The carriers have huge networks to maintain and they must choose which areas to fix first. If you are already seeing improvements, that is a good sign. Hang in there and remember, the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    3 people like this.
  13. Eric12341

Eric12341 New Member

My Phone:
    HTC Arrive
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    it does seem like its getting closer to the light at the end of the tunnel. I didn't think MI was bad this guy on PPCGeeks from there always constantly brags about how much 3G data he tethers per month and what he does with it.

14. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    At least where I am, Lansing, the networks are very very clogged. Sprint is terrible downtown, as is Verizon. AT&T is OK, but it crap near MSU.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Eric12341

Eric12341 New Member

My Phone:
    HTC Arrive
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    maybe he's the one clogging it. I didn't think network congestion problems were as bad on CDMA as they are on GSM. an interesting thing is I saw this article on ZDNet that revealed that sprint and Verizon are tied at 1st in customer satisfaction ratings while att and tmo are going down. I used to be a very satisfied customer till this whole thing happened which is slowly getting better. hopefully its over and done with by the time I go back to school in the fall, which is also when wp7 mango is due to be out.

16. Shizam76

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    Well there is one of your problems. Windows Mobile (phone...whatever they are calling it now) = buggy. :thumbsdow

17. Eric12341

Eric12341 New Member

My Phone:
    HTC Arrive
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    oh WOW! so is that why people with Android phones are having the same problems too in my area? my arrive runs better than any Android out there. no fanboyism is allowed in this thread I should've made that clear in the first post but I guess I have to make it clear now. on a side note the arrive is due for a security and firmware update on Tuesday.

#17 Eric12341, May 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2011
  18. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Considering the statement is from a member who uses the almost dead Web OS, feel free to ignore his comment on Windows Phone. :D

On a side note, I had an opportunity to spend some time with a HTC WD7 and liked it well enough to consider WP7 as OS choice in the future. It sure looked like it had a great start.

#18 charlyee, May 19, 2011
    3 people like this.
  19. Shizam76

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    No fanboyism here sir Eric. I used windows mobile and swore it off. Was the worst thing I ever touched. I had to hard reset about once a month.

WebOS seems to be fine.
    Android seems to be fine.

That's why I said ONE of your problems. I didn't say it was the cause of your speed/signal problems. I'm glad your arrive runs better than android. If Microsoft can finally make a good OS. Good. More power to 'em.

#19 Shizam76, May 19, 2011
  20. Shizam76

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    ALMOST dead, but still running strong here :D ;)

21. Eric12341

Eric12341 New Member

My Phone:
    HTC Arrive
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    on my tp2 I did experience the speed problems in my last weeks with it. it ran great on 6.1 and I made it months without a hard reset and would only have to soft reset 2-3 times per week. 6.5 was ok the thing that messed it up was the HTC sense add on and without the proper 3D drivers to support it .

22. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I have a spot spot for Win Mobile. I have had a succession of PDAs and SmartPhones from 2004, varying from 2003 SE, to Wm 5 to 6 to 6.1. They ranged from the IPAQ series for PDA and the Blackjack, Treo 750 and Treo Pro for SmartPhones. I kept my Treo 750 the longest and my Treo Pro close behind. I don't believe I ever hard reset either Treo and very ocassional a soft reset.

I am looking forward to trying a Nokia with WP7 in the future.

23. Eric12341

Eric12341 New Member

My Phone:
    HTC Arrive
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    well back to EDGE level speeds again. so I think im going to call sprint and have them credit my account again. im not paying $97 till I get my unemployment moneys worth. and hopefully they don't mess up my data again to where I have to hard reset which is a major PITA.

24. Shizam76

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    I just did a speed test the other day...close to a tower....and 3G I was getting 1.5 MB. First time I have ever seen that. Ever. Don't know if that was just coincidence or from work on that tower.

25. Eric12341

Eric12341 New Member

My Phone:
    HTC Arrive
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    as said before I would get constantly between 700 and 1200 at my house with 3 bars.

26. Shizam76

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    Eric...check out these speed tests....done from a very busy area in Downers Grove.

The time at the top of these are P.M.

No idea why there is such a huge difference, but that is an AWESOME speed for 8pm!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      14.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      16.7 KB
      Views:
  27. Eric12341

Eric12341 New Member

My Phone:
    HTC Arrive
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    oh wow what the ...? and Sunday is usually when I experience the slowest speeds. that's the kind of crap that pisses me off. I called them again Wednesday to complain about this and some reps didn't even know what I was talking about. one blamed it on my phone while the other in advanced just said " well the afternoon is a peak time so that's y its slow" its supposed to be a bit slower not down to dialup slow. so finally I got him to put in a ticket on the tower in my area and they say they will call me back on Thursday so hopefully I get credited again because I refuse to pay for EDGE and dialup when im supposed to be getting 3G, especially when I see an Ev icon in the top left of my display. if it said 1x then I could understand the speeds.

#27 Eric12341, May 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2011
  28. Shizam76

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    Yeah I don't know. I would have expected the higher speed later, not earlier. I was excited to see 1Mb alone, nevermind what time of day. Never seen 1MB on EVDO.

#28 Shizam76, May 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2011
  29. Eric12341

Eric12341 New Member

My Phone:
    HTC Arrive
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I think one time last year when i first got my tp2 i saw 3mb a couple times. that's obviously the max for this revision of Ev unless they are working on a new revision of it which would then increase the max to 12mb. i must be pulling from ur tower then cuz i can't think of any other reason y its so slow, ain't that many people here in lake county with sprint that could slow it down. in my mid April call with sprint this one lady did say that some cell towers in my area were removed and being replaced and while that's being done everyone will be pulling from a tower that may be further away.

30. Shizam76

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    Wow! Removing and replacing towers!? Strange. Wonder when they started that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.