Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

thinking of switching but a question

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by army1, Jul 30, 2007.

1. army1

army1 Banned

My Phone:
    obama won
    if i signup for the national plan, do i get roaming charge's?
    looks like from there national map they are vary well covered.

2. Shockwave13

Shockwave13 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Moto V9m RAZR2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel =)
    The National Freedom Plan covers about 90 - 95% of the USA, its basically a network plan. You will get a little roaming symbol on your phone.. either a triangle or an R. When it is flashing or off you are fine, if the symbol is ever just sitting there, and not flashing, just staying on, then your roaming. I have National Freedom on one of my phones, and have been several places across the country and rarely ever see the solid symbol... accept for that one small spot over in northern Miss.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. army1

army1 Banned

My Phone:
    obama won
    ok. so do they charge you if you make or recieve a call while roaming,
    i ask this because no matter where i am in the u.s. i never get charge
    with cingular.

4. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    On the National Freedom Plan with alltel, it is possible to get a roaming charge at 59 cents/min.

With that said, it is very unlikely and there are ways to ensure that you don't get any charges. The National Freedom roaming areas at 59 cents/min are shown roughly in light blue on the map, and on the phone with a solid triangle or R. It is very unlikely that you'll see this though because it's only in the very rural parts of America that neither Alltel, Sprint, Verizon, US Cellular, nor a number of others cover. These areas are often only covered by small regional carriers that charge Alltel a higher price to carry a call. Often in these areas, you wouldn't have service on an cingular phone. If you're overly concerned about roaming charges, you could always add 100 Free-to-Roam minutes to your account for $10/month, and still get more minutes for a lower price than you could get through cingular. I have Free-to-Roam minutes on my account because I'm frequently in Eastern Kentucky, but now, even Sprint covers the larger areas there around Pikeville and Middlesboro and I'm thinking about removing it from my account. But with My Circle and Free-to-Roam minutes, the plan is still a heck of a lot better than a similar minute plan with Verizon.

There really is only a very small part of the US under an alltel payable roam. I really think it's more of a mental thing to overcome, knowing that roaming charges are possible, rather than something that's actually going to surprise you on a bill some month. Really, all you have to do to avoid roaming charges, is take a second to notice the roaming indicator before making a call, or add the Free-to-Roam minutes, and chances are you'd still be on a reasonably priced plan.

The dark blue on the map is free. Anytime you see a blinking triangle or R on the phone, it is free. This will happen if you're on Alltel, Sprint, Verizon, etc. and a number of other carriers. No triangle or R, means that you are in your home area, and in many cases, designates a Greater Freedom border.

Sorry to go on, but I hope the detail provided helps a little and gives you some ideas.

5. army1

army1 Banned

My Phone:
    obama won
    no, this is exactly what i wanted, thanks, cingular has so many dropped call
    since att took over that for the first time in 16 yrs i'm thinking about changing
    i'm not under a contract now, but i have just bought 2 new razr's and paid
    cash so i didn't have to sign another contract, i just feel like now i have to stay untill i feel i at least get my money's worth out of the 2 phone's
    no matter how bad the service is, thanks again.

6. zdoyle35

zdoyle35 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Pearl
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T (work),Alltel(personal)
    everything shockwave said is true you will only get roaming in about 5% percent of the country.. we have a total freedom plan that guarantee you not to roam. but unless you a big traveler i dont recommend it , it is less minutes for more money

7. army1

army1 Banned

My Phone:
    obama won
    yes by the map the place's i traval to are 100 % covered,

thanks

8. bandit390

bandit390 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Using a 5x4 inch picture to represent coverage of the entire USA is useless as condoms at a Star Trek convention.

So I would never say 100%.

9. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

A place may indicate "covered" but you could still get roaming charges. Towers only hold a finite amount of traffic and if all the friendly towers in the area are full, until a space opens up on one of them the phone will jump to a tower that will result in charges.

Bottom line: On a National Freedom plan you HAVE to watch your roaming indicator. That's the only true indicator of whether a call will cost or not, not a coverage map.

10. army1

army1 Banned

My Phone:
    obama won

not a good start

11. army1

army1 Banned

My Phone:
    obama won
    yes i understand that, but there is a plan so i don't
    have to pay any extra.

12. bandit390

bandit390 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Sorry if it offended you, but its the truth. No matter what you see on a map or someone tells you, your roam indicator will tell the truth.

Yes, total freedom plans. Besides your day time minutes and basic features they only give 1000 m2m and 1000 nights/weekends. Also, they cost more....Ex. total freedom 900 = $99.99 vs national freedom 900 = $59.99

13. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    If you sign up for alltel and use the national freedom plan, you can test it out for a few days. If there are important spots where you are roaming you can switch to the Total freedom plan if it is still worth it to you or cancel within the trial period. Keep in mind total freedom plans have unlimited my circle even though they say 1000 m2m. In other plans the my circle minutes are deducted from your m2m, but with total freedom there isn't a 1000 cap on my circle minutes....confusing i know...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. army1

army1 Banned

My Phone:
    obama won
    yes this changing thing is vary confusing, that's why i haven't done it yet
    and may just keep the off,on, cingular,or maybe things will change by the time i fell i have gotten my money's worthfor my two razr's

15. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    I just checked the zip code, hope you don't mind. Alltel even has a greater freedom plan for your area. So if you were concerned about roaming charges you won't have to be because with "GF" plans it is geographically based coverage instead of network. So if you did get roaming charges within your home area they will refund them. Then you could switch plans whenever you go out of the area with the anytime plan changes.
    Here is just the "greater freedom" (local) plan coverage.....
    [​IMG]

I really wouldn't worry about roaming charges even on the National Freedom plan though. You have access to free roam on Sprint, Verizon, and Bluegrass Wireless in your area. So you should fine, not to mention Alltel covers their areas very well with their own network...

The only parts you will ever have to worry about roaming in is eastern kentucky on appalachian wireless. But if you stay on the highways sprint and verizon cover that area. I personally think you could do quite well service wise and money wise by going to alltel.

bikebryan is just emphasizing not to trust the national coverage maps 100 percent because it is mostly based on what other networks tell alltel where they are operating. When in reality there may be a few areas where they don't. But with your area I wouldn't worry about it...

16. grazzzy

grazzzy Junior Member

he's right, and the TOTAL FREEDOM plan is the solution. but there are some drawbacks in terms of anytime and N/W minutes.

17. grazzzy

grazzzy Junior Member

and, as MOTOHOOLIGAN has pointed out, they aren't enforcing the 1000 M2M limit on the total freedom plan either.

18. army1

army1 Banned

My Phone:
    obama won

no i don't mind any one that's trying to help, if i go with alltel, i will
    go with the nation plan, as for eastern ky, i don't think anyone covers
    montains to well.

19. army1

army1 Banned

My Phone:
    obama won
    right now i have 500 anytime and unlimited n/w but i haven't
    plus rollover's, i have never gone over the 500min, and mostly
    stay in the 200's even on the 2 phone family plan.