Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Thinking about switching service providers

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by WBOOPA, Dec 15, 2001.

1. WBOOPA

WBOOPA Junior Member

I'm a three year Spirnt customer and I'm thinking about switching service providers. I'm not sure yet on what company I will go to next. I'm thinking AT&T or Voice Stream. The reason why I have not switched is because of the plan I have and the rumor of Sprint carrying Nokia again. I still have my original phone, 6185, my original plan, 180 peak, 1000 off peak with the first incoming min free.
    Where I live Sprint is ok, but I must admit I've had my share off drop calls, but is it like that with every company?

At the same time I'm really a fan of Nokia phones, which Sprint no longer offers for now. And I see VS and AT&T coming out with these cool Nokia phones.

I need you guys opinion: should I just keep Sprint and wait and see if they come out with Nokia's again or just switch companies all together.

Another ? what are the advantages and disadvantage regarding CDMA vs TDMA

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    WBOOPA:

You may want to consider reposting this in one of the regional forums. As is, and in the current forum, we have no clue what market you are in. I could start expounding the services on the West Coast (where I live) and it may be totally useless because your market is on the East Coast where prices and vendors are different.

You mention Voicestream so I am assuming you are either on the East Coast or somewhere in the midwest.

Technology: From a <u>user-perspective</u> there is absolutely no advantage or disadvantage of one digital broadcast technology over another. Those that disagree will cite <u>technical</u> benefits (not important to the end user) of CDMA over TDMA. I have no agruement there, CDMA IS technically more advanced, capable of transmitting more simultaneous calls, yada yada, yada. But when it comes down to using the phone on a day-to-day basis, there is no perceivable difference in voice quality, dropped calls, etc.

Here is some educational material you might appreciate: Wireless Links

3. CellguyNY

CellguyNY Junior Member

Yes kevin brings up a rather interesting point it would be nice to know where you carry your service. I personally deal in the East coast area NYC and Voicstream happens to be a good provider if you live in the metropolitan area and AT&amp;T is great as well but they have some problems with billing it all basically comes down to if your a nights and weekends person or you just want the minutes for during the week and during the weekend. RIght now currently in the Northeast NY Metro region VS offers the most minutes of any company bu there problem is there are no nights just weekends, but they utilize the only 29.99 unlimited weekend calling plan up here unless were you are cingular is a carrier which you did not state. But if you need more help any one on this forum would be glad to help you if you expalin your situation just a little bit more like where you are located. As for sprint and Nokia phones right now i see it is highly doubtful for nokia and sprint to cut a deal because there CDMA competitor Verizon has been having difficulty with the 5185i phone and they are still stuck on the 5100 series which they need to get rid of not to discredit that series or anything its just being a little old fashioned if all the other GSM/TDMA's are discontinuing that model series.

Good luck and happy handset hunting:

CellguyNY