Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

The top in the NYC tru-state area!!!!

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by dobby10, Oct 8, 2001.

1. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Leah

Leah Junior Member

Matt,

I Know they have coverage in MAJOR cities, but we werent really near any of those areas in Ohio. Thats the only bad thing about the service, in my opinion of course, ..is that out of Major cities in certain states, you really cant use the phone.

But, like you said w/ that roaming option, now maybe the coverage will get better.

3. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Well, I just listed the majors....I was in Newark and Zanesville in August and had no problems....good coverage towards PIttsburh along I-70 too, but I didn't go anywhere else in OH.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

Voicestream is owned by Deutsche Telecom which also owns services in parts of Europe. There is a rumor that they plan to merge into one name "T-Mobile" for all of the areas. At this point, they will have quite a large marketplace globally.

5. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It's more than a rumor. They've announced by the end of 2002, all their properties will be "T-Mobile" VoiceStream just came out with new ads and rate plans, and under the VS logo it now says "Global wireless by T-mobile"

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi, i am getting a cell phone and i wanted to know what is the best serice. I only want to use my phone for local calls. Is voice stream an okay service? It is the cheapest one i can find...are the calls decent and clear?

7. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Yes voicestream is good. The technology they use is GSM and ATT and Cingular are switching over to GSM and Verizon may too. Expect it to get even better in areas that may have low signals.

8. Tony

Tony Junior Member

Verizon won't be switching to GSM. They will be launching thier 2.5G network this next year (Dallas in December) which will be enhanced CDMA. Thier 3G network will be WCDMA (Which, strangely enough, is the next step for GSM networks.)

9. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Actually Vodafone, Verizon Wireless' parent company is presuring them to swithc to GSM. Who knows if and when it will happen.

10. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Well, kind of. Vodafone owns 45% of VZWireless. VOD uses GSM/GPRS in the rest of the world. The rumor is that VOS wants VZW to switch their probable 3G technology choice to w-CDMA instead of cdma2000. No change of a 2G use (GSM). Just 3G.

But since VOD doesn't have a controlling intrese in VZWireless, whether or not they get their way is debateable (sp?)

11. Guest

Guest Guest

I have a Motorola tri-band. Most of the high end GPRS capable phones sold here are triband. In fact because the total GSM market is so huge relative all other technologies, the new additions are nearly always first introduced in their GSM versions. (Check out Nokia.com for the latest with built in cameras etc!)

The sound quality is far superior on Voicestream to the other carriers I have used (ATT really bad, Sprint dropped signals) though in Sprint defence the signal of all the carriers on 1900 regardless of technology have problems with buildings. When GSM 800 comes online next year this problem should go away.

As for Global roaming I have roamed all over Europe including parts of eastern Europe, India and Singapore with the same phone no problems at all. The cost of using the phone is SO much cheaper than a phone card when travelling there. The only thing that is spotty is text messaging which depends on the provider you are roaming on.

Here I have had very few coverage problems only VT and the Hamptons have caused a problem. Also now all their plans include nationwide roaming and long distance it makes it very cheap. One exception - Someone mentioned the analogue add on. DONT unless you can't avoid it!!! The cost of roaming analogue is not included!! ($0.60 per minute)

GPRS is also expensive if you want to use it on anything more than the WAP browser. (It actually works very well with PocketPC). It would be nice if they supported HSCSD (I think thats the right letters!) but since full EDGE is comming......

12. TeKola

TeKola New Member

I cannot imagine how Sprint could win a J D Power award unless they paid somebody off. It is totally bogus. I have not encountered a person yet who has "good" service from Sprint. I live on Long Island. I will never trust JD Power surveys again.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

hello there im not quite sure about your plans but im really quite sure that my phone service att is a little way better than yours thanks you email me back if you like vvitaminj17@aol.com if you would like to find out more about me ok?

14. CellguyNY

CellguyNY Junior Member

Dear Dobby10:

I like you feel the same way about Voicestream. I in my five years of working with the compnays selling the products and having all of the services would have to say if there is a number one in just wireless service it would have to Voicestream. I would say that the GSM technology will be the future of cell phones CDMA is good but they tend to produce more dropped calls and static. I would have rated sprint lower than you and maybe nextel a little lower to.
    1.Voicestream
    2.AT&T
    3.Verizon
    4.Nextel
    5.Sprint
    6.Mci Worldcom

I deal with all six compnays in my store location in the suffolk county long island area and the one that gives me the most frequent problems in Sprint. As far as dropped calls the only public it sells to out on the island is that of the lower class because it is advertised a little to much to the point that it looks as if it is desperate for patrons. There slogan is a joke and i am patiently waiting for them to merge with another carrier and maybe they will be better. Verizon and AT&T are generally the same thing except verizon is a little cheaper in plans and AT&T offers cheaper phones. Voicestream has it both ways because they are backed by a global company T-mobile and can offer cheap phones and more minutes for your money. MCI worldcom enough said just horrible all around. Nextel in my opinion is a monopoly with the use of the direct connect service which no other provider has and I see it as a teen fad just like pokemon trading cards that is killing the system and making the cell terminals busier by the week. They also for a credit check, check ten years back so it makes it difficult to be approved by them without a deposit of 200 or more and ever since they dissolved the 99.99 unlimited plan you have to make customers choose what they want more of minutes or direct connect.

Feel free to e-mail me with your thoughts:
    null

15. GJMOO7

GJMOO7 Junior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    On sept.11th,i was right in front of WTC BLDG.I do not know about nextel
    on that day,however i was able to make a call from my voicestream phone
    right from ground zero_Other people could not make any calls since the
    service was out.I was also able to send out e-mails from my phone.I also
    let some people who had no service use my phone since voicestream was the
    only network working down at the site.Hats off to voicestream!

16. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    VoiceStream just got lucky that day probably because their transmitter locations were on different buildings. The other carriers all had their main antenna facilities for that area destroyed when the WTC buildings collapsed.

17. Donny

Donny New Member

<< On sept.11th,i was right in front of WTC BLDG.I do not know about nextel
    on that day,however i was able to make a call from my voicestream phone
    right from ground zero_Other people could not make any calls since the
    service was out.I was also able to send out e-mails from my phone.I also
    let some people who had no service use my phone since voicestream was the
    only network working down at the site.Hats off to voicestream!
    >>

I live outside of D.C. and cell phones and landline phones were jammed up all day. Concerning Nextel on that day, they worked great(radio that is). People were able to use the radio feature all day with out hang-ups. In addition I saw some local news footage and a reported commented on how their Nextel units were the ONLY means they had to communicate with others.

18. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    These posts are most interesting. So far, as reported on the news and recounted here, I have heard the following:

1. Only Verizon phones were working. Rescue workers were asking for it by name.
    2. Only Nextel systems were working (radio)
    3. Only Voicestream phones were working.
    4. (There was on other &quot;we were the only system working&quot; story, I can't remember which one.)

I'm feeling a bit skeptical about these claims. What really happened, as in the case of most major catastrophies of this magnitude, was probably that everyone pulled together in a communal spirit. No one wireless company stands out as some shining beacon against the darkness of all the others.

19. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Kevin,

That is so true. I've heard all the claims as well. According to one newspaper article I read it said that ALL the carriers had their service go out at some point. I'm a bit skeptical about these claims as well.

Larry

20. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Voicestream gave 100 free minuites for the months of September and October. To customers in PA, NJ, NY, DC and CT. That was a very nice gesture.
    Also out here in Jersey when this was all happening, I didn't try Voicestream but both ATT and Verizon were overloaded and calls wouldn't go throught while Nextel would.