Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

the story of the free-standing hydro transmission structure in the middle of no where

Discussion in 'Cell Tower Hunting Club' started by Deleted member 154659, Oct 16, 2009.

1. At one point there is a corridor in southern ontario that had a hydro transmisison network. Over time, they got rid of the overhead cables, and they must have either burried them or did not need them anymore above ground. But there is one funny thing,. They removed the hydro towers and structures, but they left one free standing hydro tower all alone and never removed it. why you might ask? well thats what many others were wondering.

It turns out one of the cell carriers decided to mount a cellsite up on there, they are probaly in a long term lease with the land owners as well, so when they took the towers down, they left the one lonely hydro tower alone, with no electrical lines on it, but you can sorta see the panels on it to identify it as a cell site. it would probaly cost more to re-erect a structure, re-tune it, point the panels at the proper angles, the azimuth, etc.. so they just kept it as is. lol.

2. Der84

Der84 EH!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Blackberry
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Rogers (2007-2011) Bell (2011-present)
    Re: the story of the free-standing hydro transmission structure in the middle of no w

Ha! That must be a sight to see. I don't think I've ever seen a hydro tower standing by itself. It could be a landmark attraction to visit in Ontario, ha ha.

Where abouts (city, town, etc..) is this close by to?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #2 Der84, Oct 16, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  3. Re: the story of the free-standing hydro transmission structure in the middle of no w

its in oakville, i think its a Bell tower..

Attached Files:

4. Der84

Der84 EH!

My Phone:
    Blackberry
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Re: the story of the free-standing hydro transmission structure in the middle of no w

Hmm. judging from the description, I thought something like that would've stood out, but it still kind of blends in as if it were still passing wires on to another transmission tower.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Re: the story of the free-standing hydro transmission structure in the middle of no w

Those are pictures from google street view. but trust me they dont do justice unless you see it in person. There is a highway onramp right beside that road and MANY area residents remember the old hidro grid wires and now theyre gone. Its kinda cool to see a hydro tower all on its own. most people think wtf? they forgot to take that one down? well i have a friend who works at hydro, im gonna call him and ask him why they forgot to take that one down, he does not know its a cellsite, and im not gonna mention it to him either, lol, which is funny he used to work with me in the cell industry 2+ years ago.

6. Der84

Der84 EH!

My Phone:
    Blackberry
    Wireless Provider(s):

Ha ha that's funny, you should do that.

You definitely don't see anything like that in my area. All the sites around where I am are boring old guyed or latticed towers or they're located on a building. I find once you get more towards Kitchener and beyond, you start to see some pretty interesting ones, and a few disguised ones too. :browani:

#6 Der84, Oct 16, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  7. Re: the story of the free-standing hydro transmission structure in the middle of no w

I actually spoke to him, he said there is a lease on the tower/land for so many years. Once the lease is expired, they can probaly take down the hydro transmission tower and erect a cellular tower, but they have to apply for a new permit because the antennas will change in height lat/long and other factors.