Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

The poor derided "fingerprint magnet" that is our phone

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by KevinJames, Apr 5, 2016.

1. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    In spite of what some think of me, I really do work very hard to be reasonable, moderate, approachable, and ready to discuss differences. Now for the pet peeve (you knew it was coming, didn’t you, LOL).

I won’t pick on anyone specific because I have seen it all over the web. It is the complaint about phones being “fingerprint magnets.” There is enough legitimate issues with manmade technologies that silly things such as this are ridiculous (IMHO). To point: Glass mirrors, windows in cars, in homes, in display cases at stores (although most are probably plastic), our computer screens, and the list could go on ad nauseam. Then there are all the metal appliances we have: stoves, refrigerators, etc., all are fingerprint magnets. It is just part of life. Our skin produces oils and everything we touch gets some. It is not the device’s fault. So it really annoys me to no end that some will actually make a big deal of this. Do they really expect that somehow our phones are magical devices that are able to completely reject our prints? What really is their point in even complaining about this? Ok, so it makes our phones look ugly -- just wipe the device off for goodness sake! Our finger prints also do the same to everything else we touch.

Is anybody with me on this? I ask because it seems that every time I bring up the issue, I get shot down.

2. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    I don't care about the phone being a fingerprint magnet. I just wipe it down every so often or I just put it in case. It isn't that serious for me.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Well one point to make. Starting with the iPhone 4, Apple placed an Oleophobic ( oil rejecting) coating on the front screen. But I'm pretty sure not on the rear glass.

It made a noticeable difference.

So there are technical things that can be done, unless it is done on the cheap.

Same with hydrophobic coatings for auto glass. Water rejecting.

So maybe some can complain that some Oleophobic coatings are better than others. And that is true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KevinJames likes this.
  4. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
  5. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 25 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    What I've experienced with the Galaxy S7 Edge has to do more with how the phone is housed. It is metal and glass. The lighter color versions (gold and silver) tend to show fingerprint smudges more than other phones I've owned. It isn't a horrible thing, just something more noticeable on a beautiful, shiny s7/S7 edge. Some phones are made with materials that show fingerprints and smudges more than others. The new Galaxy s7 series is one.

This is why I immediately put the phone in a case as soon as it arrived. Ironically, the actual phone screen isn't bad at all with fingerprint smudges.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Fingerprints and smudges are very serious for me, I am always wiping them off.

I got a keyboard cover for my ipad mostly to reduce fingerprints on the screen by touching it less. Ironically the keyboard is shiny black and a definite fingerprint magnet. :(

7. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    I am kind of like that. I buy a big box of wipes at Costco every few months.

8. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    @palandri Many of those wipes have alcohol in them. They are not recommended (by Apple and others) for cleaning smartphones with Oleophobic coatings. Alcohol and ammonia (Windex) will remove/reduce the lifetime of these coatings. Windex is meant to clean bare glass, not coated glass.

Monster iClean has solutions and wipes that are alcohol free. There are others. If a company says Alcohol is okay, I wouldn't believe it. Most do not recommend them for smart devices.

A simple microfiber is only needed to clean fingerprints off, since the oil doesn't / stick, and smear around, thanks to the Oleophobic coating. For a difficult print/smudge, a bit of water is only needed. Oil and water don't mix, the water replaces the oil and then the water air dries after wiping.

@M in LA. I agree that some background materials enhance the fingerprint awareness. More likely, the back is bare glass, while the front Gorilla glass comes from Corning with a nano Oleophobic coating already on.

I did note the same thing, with the Galaxy in the store. First thing that popped into my view.

@KevinJames. Nice article. The DIY kits are not as good. Oleophobic coatings for glass are a new and evolving field. There are many types, and some that cannot be applied by consumers. Some are actual etchings on the nano level, in the glass.

This is where a quality product comes in, and makes the difference from a metal product at home, like your frig or stove.

With my iDevices, blowing off any dirt and then a good scrub with a microfiber is all that is needed to lift off fingerprints. I do it several times a day. I don't even need a water damp microfiber, but you can.
    Microfiber can be found on Amazon, or at an eyeglass section of your local stores.

#8 viewfly, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    M in LA likes this.
  9. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I dug this up from an iPhone manual.

"Don’t use window cleaners, household cleaners, compressed air, aerosol sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia, or abrasives to clean iPhone (screen)."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KevinJames likes this.
  10. scottb

scottb Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Galaxy S20
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yes, fingerprints are an issue but they're on everything as mentioned in the OP. I find the best way to keep my screen clean is to walk around with the phone in my pocket. Whenever I take it out it's clean. That might not work for women since most of their pants seem to have either no pockets or very small ones.