Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

the "Building of a New Tower" thread

Discussion in 'Cell Tower Hunting Club' started by Eric47, Mar 23, 2008.

1. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    So anymore updated pics this was fun to watch

2. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    im glad you asked :) i was thinking no one cared. ill take some more tommorow. since they are getting closer to being done it is going to get tougher for me to take pics. ill try my best.

i can at least update you now on what they are doing.

last i looked (today) they were in the process of hanging the antennas, they didnt have them all up but they had up quiet a few of them. ill have to see if they built the box or shelter or what have you yet.

thanks for the interest!!!!

3. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    While I suggest you take pictures after the crew has left, if you're polite and stay out of the way I'm sure they won't tell you to take a hike.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    cool :) thanks!~!

5. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

Yeah I have had a hige interest in this. BTW most techs from what I have seen are very nice. In fact if that were me I would go talk to them and ask many questions lol.

6. Day5InJanuary

Day5InJanuary Junior Member

My Phone:
    Apple IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    cant wai to see these pics!

7. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I've taken all kinds of picture with workers at the sites and have never been told to take a hike. They probably think I'm with the carrier and taking photos for the company.

8. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    lol sorry guys ive been slacking because of school and work.

ill have photos by saturday, promise ;)

9. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    Each crew is different and will have different boundaries that may or may not be crossed during your endeavors. Luckily, it sounds like you've only ran into some nice crews, just be forewarned that there are numerous people in this industry that unless they know who you are, or why you are there will tell you to beat it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    welp guys. i think they are done. it is not active yet but i have a feeling it will be very soon. so heres the last set of pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    I wonder who will colocate on the tower now lol

12. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    well, honestly i can see any of the carriers wanting a piece of this action as this is a FAST growing area, and very suburban (no real potential areas for future towers near by, as it is, this was built through a zoning loop hole many are familiar with where they get a church to allow them to build on their property)

but i would suspect to see either Sprint or possibly Cricket or Tmobile or Someone to co-locate there. there is a tower about 1 mile away that verizon and nextel and TMOB are on but TMOB is the lowest down on it and they have only 1900mhz so of course with the heavily wooded area and the antennas being lower than the tree level, that towers effective range is not good.

as for this tower, i doubt more than 1 will co-locate, but we will see. it is not very high above the tree line. id say the trees are in the 100-120 range and the tower is in the 150 range. leaving room for 1more above the tree line out of the 3 available spaces left.

[​IMG]

13. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Hmmm... In my area, there is this huge monopole where 6 carriers had antennae... Over time, the carriers either merged (sprint/Nextel) or installed their towers nearby (T-Mobile has built 2 stealth tree sites less than a mile away)

14. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

Thanks for the pics again. Nice new shiney site you have there. I wish there were new things going in my area. I have a suspicion tmobile will be adding something here soon.

15. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    i wanto tell you guys. i really enjoy being a part of this site. i enjoy the information that is provided and what i gain from it. this thread is all about me trying to give back. so thanks for everyones interest, it makes me feel like i have accomplished my goal.

16. Day5InJanuary

Day5InJanuary Junior Member

My Phone:
    Apple IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    awsome pics eric. will be cool to see who colocates!

17. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    ill definetly keep you all posted. i dont expect to see any anytime soon, but you never know!

18. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

No thank you this kind of thread is very neat and unique enjoyed it very much.

19. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    Yah its nice to see interest in the industry and alot of common folk so to speak dont get to see how it all transpires.

I have personally helped build tons of new sites, the one thing the pictures dont show is the trial and tribulations of dealing with contractors. Something is always being held up at these.

Sometimes you get tower companies from 5 hours away from the site and their slow and getting it built. You also have electrical contractors, the power company and a big one is waiting on Telco to install the backhaul lines. Telco can take for ever if it goes thru mulitple phone companies areas.

I had a tower that came on air on generator and stayed on generator for almost 45 days. The electrical inspector for that area went of vacation. Ever 4 days I had to get the generator filled, it got old about the 3 time I had to do it.

20. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    luckily this is Bellsouth ATT country. they still own the lines down here. so there was no waiting on the T1's as i understood from talking to some guys on site. espically with them deploying 3G. i think the main hold up on this site was building permits/rezoning/getting the builders in here like you stated.

21. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Wow, its been my experience that getting on site on church property is more difficult than anywhere else, but that just goes to show everywhere in the world is different. I did some network planning in Tunesia, and theres alot of small villages spread out there with mainly only 1 story high houses. The higest structure was always the mosque, which would be an ideal place for an antenna, but they didnt take too kindly to my suggestions :D

Yea, good thread to show the tower building process. As a network engineer Ive planned hundreds (or thousands?) of sites, but I rarely see them get built :(

22. Plokoon111

Plokoon111 New Member

Is there anyway to find out if there is any cell sites being built or being planned in my area? Is there any site that can show me any of that?

23. sprintcellguyntx

sprintcellguyntx New Member

I live in Central Texas and I have seen a cell site built about .44 miles away from my house. I use sprint's EVDO Rev. A data card. Recently I have been experiencing a drop in service the dBm fluxing ALOT, dropping from 78 dBm all the way to 102 dBm... Ive worked with Sprint's Advanced technical support and they are supposed to be sending a tech out to the nearest cell site to check the orientation of the antennae... She said it seems like my card isnt locking on a specific site, but bouncing between sites. Has anyone else around here experienced these problems if so, any helpful tips of pointers? I am looking for some cell site maps for sprint in my area, does anyone know of any... I am also expecially interested in the actual equipment and how it works /specs as well. I do understand different carriers use different technologies and such. And I am sure there are some confidentiality issues there, but any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

24. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Could be a bad data card and/or software, but I doubt it. It's the network that directs your card as to which tower it should connect to. If they are building a new tower close to you, then that could obviously cause you some problems. Congestion on the cell closer to you could also force you to use a un-congested cell further away (resulting in a lower signal strength for you), so if you have some data-hungry neighbors also on Sprint, this could drive you to a further cell. Really Sprint should have some tools that they can look at their data records remotely with and analyze, not really needed to send a tech out. But I guess it depends on how much time and effort they want to spend trouble-shooting the problem. Probably just cheaper and easier to send a tech out.

25. Xpimp

Xpimp New Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Wow nice thread thanks for sharing. Did any other carriers Co locate?