Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

The Best Displays Under Bright Light: it's Not Your iPhone

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by charlyee, May 8, 2012.

1. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    The Best Display Under Bright Light: It's Not Your iPhone

I recommend visiting the DisplayMate site following the links, lots of interesting information on them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
  3. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    And the winner for 'outdoor shade' through 'Moderate outdoor lighting' and full 'beach sun'....is still, and always will be, the Kindle-type e-ink. Hands down. One cannot beat the brightness of the sun, which the Kindle takes to its advantage...the brighter the sun, the easier it is to read.

Unlike what the Gizmodo author says, the problem is not solved by the ClearBlack Nokia display. It is somewhat better under moderate sun, but still pretty washed out. The ClearBlack display does help get the reflection down to 4% from 8%, but that is mainly important for direct specular reflection. That makes the Lumina the winner of the bunch, in 'moderate sun' but still pretty washed out.

The LCD screens just don't have enough light power to compete with the sun.

The site a very good one. What is interesting to see, is the images on that site under 'absolute darkness' to 'moderate indoor' lighting. They all perform pretty much the same, except the iPhone 4S which has the brightest whites, as well as the brightest screen and resolution (compared to the Lumia and Galaxy S). That is very easy to discern, and 'moderate' indoor lighting is the most common mobile situation, for me at least.

#3 viewfly, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
  4. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    :D

Here are the results of another test, this one more visual than with numbers:
    Screen test iPhone, Android and Windows Phone flagships side-to-side: Lumia 900 wins

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    My personal visual opinion is that my photos from the iPhone 4S are the best, in quality and composition, not too saturated or bland, but that is only my unbiased personal opinion....:p

6. Eileen89

Eileen89 Bronze Senior Member

I use the power support HD anti-glare screen protector on my iPhone 4S and reading in any kind of lighting including sunlight has never been an issue for me. I also use the Moshi AG 3rd gen screen protector on my new iPad and I am also able to read in any kind of lighting situation as well.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

7. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Kindle-type e-ink sounds an awful lot like a Google-type iOS :D E-ink is its own company.

True, the e-ink display looks great in the sun -- but it doesn't like being in direct sunlight for very long, it starts fading from the heat. Of course a page refresh fixes that :)

8. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I must be a fast reader then. ;)

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

9. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Yes, it's not usually a problem when reading, it's when you start telling your friends "see how well it looks in the sun" and by the time they all take a look it's faded :)

10. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    So I haven't seen any evidence of sun fade on my Kindle 3. And that is after spending 3 weeks total in the sun of Aruba. Whether in the shade or direct sun, no fade. I don't read (or my daughter) that fast. ;)

I never heard of this...Just did a google search and I'm finding problems with some users but not all (and they have been on non Kindle brands). For the Kindle, there is nothing newer that I found from 2009 forward. Some say it has been 'fixed'.

Have any more info? I'm a doubting Thomas here. The Kindle has been perfect for me.

11. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    First of all, I've only experienced it here in CA -- it can get pretty hot here. Second, I have only seen it if I left it sitting on the same page in the direct sun for several minutes -- maybe 3-5. Finally, it didn't fade completely -- the letters just became a somewhat lighter shade of gray. Having compared the displays on Nook Simple Touch & Nook SimpleTouch with GlowLight the other day I can say that it was about the same difference. If you have a B&N store nearby you can pop in for a quick look to see them side by side and get an idea. Oh, in my case the body of the device is metal, not plastic which helps heating things up.

12. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

I 'm reading that it is more the heat, not the light of the sun that was the problem for some. I know my daughter had her Kindle out by the pool sun for a week in Aruba, with no problems (at least she said nothing).

I don't understand the full the technology here, but the 'pixel' particles are either black or white. It could be that the heat causes some loss of electrostatic charge and some white particle release from the bottom and go to the top of the display, giving a 'grey' appearance. But that would also mean that display would get fuzzy too. :confused:

I love the kindle. almost as much, and sometimes more than my iPhone. It is THE perfect reader!

Update: At least on the Kindle, theres seems to have been a production problem. The problem has been solved and I see no complaints since 2009. I know the Kindle 3 has a better darker black display too.

#12 viewfly, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
  13. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Interesting article Charlyee.

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows Phone OS 7.5; Trident/5.0; IEMobile/9.0; HTC; mwp6985)

14. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I wouldn't claim to know the technology involved, but I do prefer my reader's form factor (added vertical dimension) to that of Kindle & Nook. Plus in general I prefer EPUB readers, at least the ones that obey the specs (iPad doesn't and I'm not 100% sure about the latest Sony).

15. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I read very fast on the kindle format. Battery last nearly a month. Normally I have wifi and 3G off

EPUB books can be read and downloaded directly by the iBooks app in the iPhone and iPad. Seems there are ways to convert for kindle too.

What specs do you mean?

I prefer dedicated e readers and the kindle 3 (keyboard) is the best. Not sure about the newer kindles though.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

#15 viewfly, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
  16. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I too prefer dedicated ereaders (or actually that's the only kind of reader that I use), but I have no use for the keyboard in one. I can't remember the last time I used the keyboard (virtual) on mine and I easily read an hour to hour and a half a day. I always have WiFi and 3G off, but I don't remember how long the battery lasts. I charge it maybe twice a month, but I use pretty large font which leads to a lot of page turns.

By specs I mean CSS rules for formatting, fonts, amrgins and such. While Adobe's software that runs in my Sony doesn't deal with some cool CSS selectors (such as first-line or first-letter, which makes doing drop-caps annoying) iPad completely ignores embedded fonts and some styles. I don't remember all of the things that went wrong in my experimentation, but I definitely had trouble with margins and fixed-width fonts.

As for Kindle -- I'm sure it's a great device, but at the time I was shopping for mine the library books were not available for it (they are now, although in my libraries the Kindle selection is quite a bit poorer than EPUB) and that was the main consideration for me.

17. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Yeah. When I purchased my Kindle, the 'keyboard' version was the latest model. And Kindle had the largest title selections, compared to other e readers, including the iPad. I was surprised by that. Of course, there are tons of no longer copyrighted classics/titles also available from Amazon...and they are free. Not many know this, and it covers a lot of my local library selections that I was interested in.. That is how I made my choice...plus wanting e-ink technology.

I don't care for the keyboard either, but that was all that was available. Today's models of Kindle and others, I find the touch screen not great. And by the time I add up the newer Amazon models, add 3G, pay for no adverts...it comes to the current price of the keyboard version! Which is still sold.

Fonts are good for me. But I can understand your interest there.

All this is not entirely off topic ;) Since tablets were brought in along with smartphones

I still say that the e-ink is the best technology for reading text and b/w drawings, photos, etc under bright light. Very crisp, clean and easy on the eyes.

18. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Yes, there's plenty of free classics in both EPUB & Kindle formats. And I have certainly paid a premium for my reader over Kindle, but I'm sure I've made up for it by not paying for books (got my first reader nearly 2.5 years ago). I usually read a couple of books a week, and on vacation that numbers jumps up quite a bit.
    Yes, e-ink is the best technology outside of real high quality paper to read -- I've read for almost entire duration of an overseas flight on more than one occasion.