Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

The annoying automated instructions after your outgoing voicemail message!

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by marty27, Jan 11, 2009.

1. marty27

marty27 New Member

So it seems like AT&T won't let you get rid of the:

"to leave a message, press one, or just wait for the tone. to send a numeric page, press 5"

after your personal outgoing message. Does anyone know which service providers let you just have a BEEP after your message???? man that is frustrating!

2. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    This one is a pet peeve of many with AT&T. The only real workaround (don't know if it works on all VM platforms or just some) is to start your message by saying "to skip straight to the VM, press the #". Pressing the # key will take you straight to leaving the message (may have to turn on cut-through paging in the VM options, but if I'm not mistaken it's on by default).

3. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    I thought ATT had this but I didnt find it in my VM options. I have Verizon and thry allow you to not have the directions after the greeting.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    AT&T did have this in their VM in the TDMA/IS-136 days. Perhaps when they went to GSM they went with a new VM vendor that doesn't allow this.

BTW, this was one of David Pogue of the NY Times tech columnists list of annoyances for voicemail (not just for AT&T but for all voicemail.)

5. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I think I remenber having this option when I was on AT&T Wireless GSM(BLUE) back in 2005... my area was the last to get GSM. Perhaps, it was a Cingular holdover:confused:. I just keep my VM greetings short and let the VM recording do the talking. I also enabled cut thru paging as well. Sometimes, I make up a longer greeting with the directions and disable the "lady".

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. SteveW

SteveW Battery mgmt is my life

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

[flame on]
    My question is, why do they have this option at all? Why would anyone in 2009 simply send a numeric page? Does anyone carry a pager anymore? Has any WA member actually done this? Does anyone have the time or inclination to call back random numbers that are left on their phones without an explanation or message? Personally, I would not. I would assume it's some sort of scam or marketing gimmick. If you legitimately have my cell number and want me to call you back, leave a message.
    [/flame]

SW

7. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I used the numeric page recently when I didnt feel like leaving a message on my friend's TMobile prepaid phone. She is mindful of her minutes used and numeric pages are still free LOL

8. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Don't know about other carriers, on AT&T you can send the numeric page in addition to leaving VM. So in certain cases it makes calling back easier, although you would probably only use it if your Caller ID is blocked or you want the return call to be to a different number. In all my time with AT&T I've only received a handful of numeric pages and left a couple myself — that's over the course of 13 years.

9. marty27

marty27 New Member

I just can't believe that it can't be an option to turn on and turn off.

I laugh imagining someone going into a complete panic without the automated lady's voice.

"I KNOW MY FRIEND SAID, LEAVE A MESSAGE, BUT WHAT WAS THAT BEEP? WHAT DO I DO? HELP! HELP!!!!!"

10. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    AT&T has other extremely annoying thing that can't be turned off — on their prepaid PAYG service every transaction results in a notification message with the cost of the transaction (be it zero or not).

11. marty27

marty27 New Member

N00b alert: what's PAYG?

12. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    AT&T has two flavors of prepaid service: PYP (Pick Your Plan), which is basically a monthly plan without a contract and PAYG (Pay As You Go) where you don't have strict requirement to add money every month, you can add it more or less as needed. Refill amounts $15 and less extend money expiration by 30 days, $100 for 365 days, other amounts for 90 days. In order not to forfeit the money at the expiration date you have to add more money before it. All extensions are applied from the date of refill, not previous expiration date.

1 person likes this.
  13. marty27

marty27 New Member

excellent - I should have guessed that.

wow, $0 transaction notices ARE annoying

14. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    It's useful if the other person's cell phone is off or if you want to be called on another number. CallerID doesnt work if the device is off LOL

15. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    True, it wouldn't show on the phone screen but it will still be received by the system. If someone calls me when my phone is off and leaves a VM I have an option of calling back when listening to the message — unless their Caller ID was blocked. As a matter of fact, once I did wish that the person would leave the "page" — a friend of mine called me from his friend's place and left a message, neglecting to mention he was using somebody else's phone. I used the VM callback feature instead of hanging up and dialing, and as a result spoke to a completely different person :)

16. Allbluesallthetime

Allbluesallthetime New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    AT&T's VM platform does allow a "cut through" or skip to the "BEEP" immediatley by hitting the # sign as soon as the greeting comes on so that a wait for autolady to finish isn't needed.

17. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Pretty much all of the voice mail systems allow a cut through to immediately leave a message by pressing # or on some systems * as the message is being played, but that's not what the OP wants. It's easy enough to instruct in your message to press # or * in your message. What's wanted is the ability to can the automated message giving you instructions. That's what the OP is looking for.

18. Heavy Fluid

Heavy Fluid Junior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry 9630
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    My wife and I use the numeric paging. We use it when we just want the other person to call us back, but it is not important. An important message = voicemail. Not so important = numeric page. Great system to use, at least I think so.

19. 62nvon

62nvon New Member

I have Verizon... how do you get rid of the directions? I cannot find it anywhere!

20. Allbluesallthetime

Allbluesallthetime New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Yes, the # key works with most of the robots/VM systems that I'm familiar with including AT&T's. Simply press # after you start hearing the robot's voice and then you should hear a "beep"; the prompt for leaving a message. All of the instructions should be bypassed.

21. 62nvon

62nvon New Member

When I tried that, calling my hubby who is also Verizon, it prompted me for a password as if I were calling my voice mail. I'll keep playing with it. Thanks for the reply.

22. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Some systems use # as a cut-through to leaving a message, while others use it as a cut-through to checking your messages (hence asking for a password). Another key that can be used either way is * — no guarantee that Verizon uses * as the cut-through for leaving a message, but it won't hurt to try.