Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Text messaging with Cingular

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I take it to understand that with cingular, if you don't have a "messaging package" you can still send/recieve text messages for 0.10 each.

I can understand charging to send the messages, but how can they charge to recieve? What if somebody emails to 1000 times?

John

2. Dukedog

Dukedog Senior Member

Tell them not to text messages you or subscribe to text messages ($2.99 -100 msgs) ($5.99 -250 msgs) ($9.99 -500 msgs).

3. ATLguy

ATLguy Junior Member

Dukedog --

You have to admit, though, that Anonymous makes a valid point -- why should Cingular charge for messages that are received? The number and size of messages that are sent to my phone are beyond my control. I know that Cingular isn't the only company to do this, but it just doesn't make sense to me. I would pay $$$ to send a message if I felt I needed to or if I had a really good reason to do so, but I had to disable the Interactive Messaging feature because I refuse to pay for SMS messages that I have no control over. I just think the method of charging for these text messages is ridiculous...

ATLguy

4. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I have to agree with you guys. Why should I let senders dictate how much I pay for SMS? I like to have control of how much I spend on personal communications and I am sure all of you too. This morning I received two SMS in my Cingular phone from God knows who. One had a weird number on it (not a phone number) the other one said "Goku". That's 20 cents right there!

One thing we all have to be aware is just like companies got into the game of spamming our regular email addresses they can start doing the same for your cellphone email addresses and just the thought of it scares me. Slowly but at a constant pace SMS is becoming one more tool to suck the dollars out of your pocket. Everyday we see more and more websites that make use of SMS to send people messages and what would happen if all these SMS addresses fall into the hands of spammers? The first version of this is something we Cingular customers know called "My Wireless Window" which is only a portal full of garbage you can get anywhere for free designed to make Cingular richer by using the SMS capability.

I just tell people to be aware and not to get carried away by these new toys. They did not invent them so you can have more fun with them. They invented them so they can suck more dollars out of your pocket!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Isn't that one reason that Verizon took the issue to court? They were also charging for receiving messages and Verizon sees SMS, EMS and MMS as the wave of the future. But if spammers start unwanted messages, that just irritates everyone. Since spammers HAVE started this practice, it would only be responsible conduct on the part of the carriers to filter out this unwanted junk mail

Even though ATT does NOT charge for incoming messages, it is STILL annoying. Some spammer sent an email to my wife and carefully phrased it: "Have you gotten them yet?" But never indicated what "them" was, which would only invite a reply. I told my wife not to respond with even "wrong person" because that only gives the spammer a heads up that they contacted a valid address and then they turn around and sell that address.

The best action is to keep a log of these unwanted senders and notify the carrier. Another class-action suit can be initiated against these scum bags.

Speaking of scum, ever since my activities here, I had started receiving an increased number of malicious email with viruses attached. Good thing I've got more smarts than to open the attachments. If you use a valid address here, be very careful about attachments and emails from unknown sources. They have gotten so crafty that they represent themselves as being "webmaster@wirelessadvisor.com" or appear to be a rejection of an email you initiated. These scum are not even worthy of being called human.

When in doubt, check the "full headers" option on your email. You'll notice that it was most probably purposely altered to make it appear innocent.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I have a grandfathered plan from last year which includes "text messaging" which used to only be offered in an unlimited capacity fomr what I remember... I was thinking of switching to the national plan, but SMS is what stopped me... I refuse to lose the ability, risk paying for spam, or pay for a limited number of messages... how foolish to not offer unlimited SMS, even for some pricey amount like $10...

It's funny... I actually use "my wireless window" just because it's a convenient way to get generic news alerts... but I agree that it's nothing special... just something to do while using the bathroom... I feel too self-conscious to carry a newspaper in with me at work... [​IMG]

Someone needs to smack Cingular around so I can switch to a national plan and get unlimited SMS... I'm happy that it works when I'm on AT&T (North Jersey) now, but I think the current rates they charge are insane... 100 messages isn't enough to get more than a couple of daily messages delivered (ie sports scores) and have enough left over for the occasional message from my girlfriend or (god forbid) spam... it was $5 for unlimited SMS just a year ago (and they hooked me up when I signed my contract, saving me that little bit).

7. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    All of SunCom's (Triton PCS) plans include text messaging (Receive only) for free and there is no cap on how many messages you can receive. Also there 2 way service known as "inotes" gives you the ability to send and receive as many text messages as you want for only $4.99 extra a month.

8. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Blacklisting known spammers has been proven not to be effective. They still find ways to reach your inbox no matter how many filters you and your provider setup.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. ATLguy

ATLguy Junior Member

I agree with the "Anonymous" post above -- it would be a really nice feature if the wireless providers offered an unlimited SMS option for $5 or even $10 a month. I, for one, do not need that kind of functionality, but by offering an unlimited option, at least they would eliminate part of this whole SPAM debate. If you want to receive SMS/text/e-mail messages on your phone, you obviously have to make your phone's address available. Doing so ultimately provides your address to the SPAMers (damn, those guys are good [​IMG] ... so why not just accept that fact and provide an unlimited messaging feature for additional money each month? Seems logical to me.

ATLguy

10. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Bobo,

I don't know what side of their brain these spammers are using. So they manage to get their message through...so what. Do they really think that irritating the potential buying market is a way to stimulate sales? I would make a real effort NOT to buy from these people, just to make the point that irritating me is no way to drum up business.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

There WERE bills in Congress that would make the transmission of unwanted email illegal. 9-11 seems to have ended those attempts. It is time to again write your Senators and Representatives and tell them that spam is bad and should be outlawed. Make it a homeland security priority. It's an election year!!! They will undoubtedly listen.

The bill I originally thought had the best chance was by Senator Murkowski (R-AK) which would make the originating ISP responsible. The fine per message was substantial -- although I never thought substantial enough. (I've always thought that a few thousand per message payable to the recipient was about right! The recipients would then have a real interest in making sure that the perpetrator paid up!!!)These people AREN'T anonymous. If they want you to buy something, or view some website where you then buy something, they have to provide enough information so that you can contact them. They can be found.

But in the meantime, we'll just have to keep our filters up and our anti-virus software current.... And never, ever, run attachments...

12. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    For these reasons, I don't even use my text messaging. I used it when I was on AT&T and it was fairly useful but not essential. With Verizon, I'm charged to send and recieve so I just don't use it. I've never even given out the addressto anyone. Hopefully I'll stay spam free. As far as laws, I hope a similar law is developed to the one that makes telemarketing to mobile phones illegal.

13. Guppy

Guppy New Member

About spam and malicious e-mails--

Try signing up with sneakemail.com, they have a service where you can generate an unlimited number of e-mail address in the form of "[random alphanumeric string]@sneakemail.com", which then forward to whatever you set as your real e-mail address.

You can assign a single sneakemail address to any site or company that requires your address, so you 1) Know where your e-mail got harvest from, and 2) Can delete the afflicted sneakemail address if it gets too bad.

The service is free, but they do ask for donations. I've been using it for a while now, and it works pretty well.

-Guppy

14. Guest

Guest Guest

that's quite cool...

I have my own domain so I've been doing this for a while... I can give any address @mydomain and it will get back to me, so I use it to track who sells to spammers...

I just started fighting with my cable modem provider because I am getting spam on my email there and I haven't given that address to anyone, so they must have... they also try to sell products for business partners by spamming their customers... not very friendly.

15. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I have been having to run away from my email accounts because over the months it becomes unbearable the amount of SPAM that I receive. I just change my email address. Of course that spamming my cell phone won't make me buy from those vendors, but they can runup my phone bill and since they don't pay my bill, I don't want them in my phone. Now it wouldn't be a bad idea if they payed my phone bill in exchange for receiving SMS spam. That would be a new business model like free internet used to be.