Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Text messages fail, yet are received

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by EdwardP, Aug 18, 2006.

1. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    Today, I attempted to send a text message from my Nokia 6101 phone to an e-mail address. The 6101 has an unusual syntax for sending to an e-mail address:

The # sign immediately after the subject tells the e-mail server that the word immediately before the # is the subject that the recipient should see when the e-mail is received.

After composing the message and sending to the e-mail server number, a text message was received within a few seconds indicating the message could not be sent because e was not a valid e-mail address. I re-checked the message a second time, and sent it again. Another text message came back, this time indicating g was not a valid e-mail address. I then erased everything, recomposed it, and it successfully sent. However, the recipient reported receiving five (5) copies of the same e-mail.

Does this sound like a problem with the phone itself (if so, I will switch phones), a problem on T-Mobile's end, or perhaps both?

The owners manual for the 6101 references an e-mail selection on the Message menu, however in the phone itself, there are no e-mail related entries whatsoever, a message to an e-mail address must be written as above.

The Nokia 6800 (which I also have and will switch to if necessary), has a full QWERTY keyboard that flips out and its menu structure has separate selections for sending to an e-mail address or to another mobile number.

Ed

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    delivery reports might be turned on in the phone

Go to Menu>Messages>Message Settings>Text Messages

Look for delivery reports and turn them off if they aren't already

Go to Menu>Messages>Message Settings>Mulitimedia Messages

Turn off the delivery reports if they aren't already turned off

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Delivery reports were turned off.

4. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    record the number that the return messages are coming from........keep this number and call T-Mobile........ask them who owns the number and then you can figure out if its in your phone with T-Mobile or with the email server of the person your sending the message to

5. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The messages indicating the bad e-mail address came back from T-Mobile's own server.

The message had valid e-mail addresses and was typed in correctly, so I have no idea why they were rejected at first.

6. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    so its a system message not a text message from a number? of about 4-6 digits

7. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The error messages I received indicating "e" and "g" were invalid e-mail addresses, were text messages sent back from T-Mobile's server. They were received between 20-30 seconds after the outgoing message was sent.

I believe the formatting of the messages (because of the odd syntax requirement mentioned above) possibly became garbled, between the point when the phone sent them out and when they were received by T-Mobile's e-mail server. Because I was right across the street from a tower with T-Mobile equipment on it, the phone had a strong, full signal.

I've since switched back to my Nokia 6800, the only feature I'm losing is a camera.

8. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    but if the messages cam beck from T-Mobile's server then what number did they come from??????

if they were response text messages they had to come from a number?!?!?!?

9. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Wirelessly posted (T-Mobile: Nokia6800/2.0 (5.58) Profile/MIDP-1.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.0)

The msgs indicating the "problem " came from a T-Mobile server, 4-digit number.

Apparently, something on the server end garbled the messages.

#9 EdwardP, Aug 22, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
  10. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    did you call T-Mobile and ask what company or entity is attached to that 4-digit number?

11. Cailiff04

Cailiff04 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    As he has tried to tell you several times..it's not a company...it's an automatic reply from t-mobile saying the desination is invalid. So there is no need to call and ask what company it's from. He can call and ask why the messages arent going through. Could've been a temporary network issue or a messaging issue!!

12. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I switched phones, this resolved the problem.