Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

NORTHEAST U.S. -- text message status "success" vs. "delivered"

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by Lkarak82, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Lkarak82

Lkarak82 New Member

I am wondering what the difference is between a text message status on a sent message that reads "success" vs. one that reads "delivered"? I am asking, because there are times when I sent a text message and the "message sent" time reads the exact time the message was sent, but the "message delivered" time reads an hour later (even though it's not that time yet). For example, I will send a text at 2:04pm and it goes through (says "sent) at 2:04pm, but it reads "delivered 3:04pm). This is when I check it immediately after sending -- so it's not even 3:04pm yet. When I check the "message info." option on these text messages that are seemingly being delayed by an hour, the status reads "success." However, when I check the "message info" status on texts when this doesn't happen (in other words, ones that say "sent" and "delivered" at the same time) the status reads "delivered." I am wondering if these delayed messages are or aren't being delivered. This does not happen all the time, only sometimes, but can happen with the same recipient (for example, I will send a text to a friend and it reads as if it has been delayed -- as stated above -- but I will send another text the same day to that same person - -even just a couple minutes later -- and it says "sent" and "delivered" at the same time." So there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Can anyone tell me if these messages are or aren't going through (if status "success" is different than status "delivered") and why this is happening?

2. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    I don't know, but others might have an idea. Could you please mention who is your carrier, and what make and model of handset you have?

COtech

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    As far as I know, a "success" message means that your phone sent the message to the destination (usually denoted as a check mark or "sent"); otherwise, the phone would display a "failure" message (or an X). A message denoted as "sent"/"success" does not mean that the other party received your message.

A delivery confirmation is generated when the message is received on the other person's handset.

In my experience, the confirmation only works in a handful of circumstances:
    1. the SMS message is being sent to a Verizon Wireless phone (not Alltel) or to an e-mail address. I never received a confirmation for SMS sent to non Verizon phones...
    2. if the message is a MMS, then the confirmation works most of the time, regardless of provider.
    I hope this helps a little... I am not sure about the delays...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Lkarak82

Lkarak82 New Member

Thank you, this is helpful. So, just to be clear, are you saying these messages that are marked as "success" but not "delivered" are never actually being received by the person I'm sending them to? Also, what is an MMS message vs. an SMS message?

My carrier is Verizon and phone is Samsung ACH-540.

I did figure out that the messages that are being "delayed" are ones with more than 160 characters. Shorter txt messages are going through w/out a problem.

5. Rbowen

Rbowen New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung T819
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All US Carriers
    Typically, the phone confirms the message was sent sucessfully, then the cell carriers send a confirmation that the number exist and they attempt to deliver the message for 48-hours. But I've never seen a carrier send a confirmation of delivery back to an end-user's hand-held device.

We use short codes for mass delivery and the carriers use the above process. If after 48-hours the end-users phone is not active (turned on) the carrier returns an error message, but is typically 48-hours old.

6. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile

The sender never really knows whether the recipient is getting the message if it is marked as "success"... so, no I'm not saying that the messages are NOT being delivered. Merssaging is not completely foolproof:O

A SMS is simply a text only message, 160 characters or less in length; a MMS message is a message that contains picture, video, and/or text. Also, an EMS is an '"enhanced" message that contains more than 160 characters or have icons or colors in the message (but not pictures or video). An EMS message can only be sent to users of the same network (in this case, Verizon)

7. marksgirl

marksgirl New Member

My Phone:
    LG DARE (THANKS M. MIKE)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    Hey Quint 101,
    Just wanted to say Thanks. The explanation of the different texts was in plain English and simple enough that even I understood it and that says a lot. Really appreciate it. You saved me the time and embarrassment of asking my adult children or teenage grandson.
    Marksgirl