Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Tethering Moto Q

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by redorgreen, Jun 27, 2008.

1. redorgreen

redorgreen New Member

I currently have an LG 8600 and tether it to my computer for internet (paying $25 a month). I have the 900 minutes plan ($59.99) with an additional line at the moment. I was looking at the My Circle Family Choice Plan, which includes so many text per month (something that husband wants on his phone). While I was at the store, I grabbed info on the smart plans. I do know someone that is wanting to sale their Q, so I looked into it... I am looking at the 1200 minute plan (because I am also looking at dropping our landline down to just the basics and using the cell primarily) with one smart phone on it and one regular phone. Will the regular phone have unlimited texting as well? My husband doesn't really care about being able to get on the web, or e-mail on the phone. I, on the other hand, would probably use the internet and e-mail on the phone. It also looks like having the wireless internet through it would be $10 instead of $25... or does the plan already come with this? I use up A LOT of data minutes tethering, because for some reason I have EVDO where I am, but not DSL.

My home computer does not have bluetooth, so I would need the USB cable. I know that I had to buy the data kit from Alltel for my 8600... would I need to buy the same for the Moto Q?

Here are the numbers as I see them:
    current plan: $59.99
    added phone: $ 9.99
    unlim. data (just use it for tethering to my home computer): $25
    total: $94.89

looking at family choice plan (but no internet)
    plan: 79.99
    tethering: 25.00
    total: $104.99

smart choice plan (1200 min)
    plan: $109.99
    add phone: $20.00
    tethering (for home phone, just using as modem): $10
    total: $139.99

Now, I will be reducing my home phone bill by about $20 and adding internet to the cell phone. But, do I need to pay the $10 to use my cell phone as a modem for my home computer if I am on the smart choice plan?
    And once I get on a smart choice plan, if I decide that I really don't use the internet that much, can I go back to the regular plan and just not use the phone on the internet (I will not be buying the phone at a reduced price in the store)?

Thanks for your info!

2. redorgreen

redorgreen New Member

And another question (but doesn't have anything to do woth tethering). I am hearing all the buzz about the Alltel/Verizon merger. The two are the larger carriers where I am. I was checking out Verizon's site and it seems they are a little higher than Alltel for the amount of minutes that I use. My contract isn't up with Alltel until April 2009. I know that there are those out there that will be renewing their contract just prior to Verizon taking over, because they would at least be locked into that price for the 2 years (and hoping they continue with My Circle - which I hope they do). I am a fan of Alltel, although I really don't have any gripes about Verizon (although I have never had them as a carrier - I came over from Sprint). Is there anyway that I can renew my contract at the end of this year to lock it in for another 2 years (even though it is not up until April 2009)?

Thanks!

3. bandit390

bandit390 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    To pay for $10 smartphone tethering option. That feature would need to be stacked on the smartchoice plan or the $29.99 smartphone data feature.

If you pay full price, you can change your plans anytime you like.

But you also forgot that the smartchoice plan also includes unlimited txt/mms and nights at 7.

4. redorgreen

redorgreen New Member

yes, the plan starting at 7 pm would be great, as that is when we are primarily on the landline making calls. I just didn't know if I need to pay the $10 per month to tether the phone to my computer or if it is included in the smart choice plan. After checking out the broadband plans from Verizon, I am hoping that they offer the unlimited plan as Alltel does... Dial up in my neck of the woods is a blazing speed of around 26 kbps.... my Alltel blows that away because of EVDO.
    If I decide to go with the smart phone, I will probably go with the smart phone plan. I just like the idea of going back to the voice/messaging plan if I decide that I really don't access the internet and e-mail as much as I thought I would. Although with it being more to tether a smart phone for use as a modem on the other plans (I think that is what you were trying to say, $29.99 versus $25 for non-smart phones), I would probably just keep the plan for the unlimited texting and minutes starting at 7. Gee, I hope Verizon keeps the plans and My Circle.... if they were to offer what Alltel does once the merger is complete, I would think that they would be seeing more business than just the number of Alltel customers (like from the other carriers).

Thanks for the reply.

5. bandit390

bandit390 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    29.99$ is what you had before there were smartchoice plans and it still is available. Tethering smartphone feature is $10 but it has to be stacked onto the 29.99 feature or smartchoice, because the 10$ tethering feature will not give you unlimted data, it will just bill you $10 a month and any data used will go against your minutes. It works like that so the billing system will allow two data features on the same line.

6. redorgreen

redorgreen New Member

Just so I understand you... if I am on the smart phone plan, it will be $10 more per month to tether my phone to my computer and have unlimited data.
    If I decide that I really am not using the smart phone that much, and want to just use it for voice/texting, and go back to say the $79.99 my circle family plan, I will have to pay the $10 to tether plus the $29.99 to use it??? At that point, I would just go back to my LG 8600 and pay the $25 per month if I am not using the smart phone. However, because of the minutes starting at 7 pm and it being unlimited texting, I would probably just stick with the smart phone plan, even if I am not really using the internet from the phone or e-mailing from the phone that much...

It is funny to me that my husband, who just wanted to "regular" phone without all the "stuff" on it (meaning camera, texting, etc) now has a phone like mine (8600) and is the one wanting to have texting on it...

7. bandit390

bandit390 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    By Alltel rules the answer is yes.

29.99 provides unlimted data used on the smartphone. $10 tethering feature is for tethering.

8. redorgreen

redorgreen New Member

Would I need to spend another $69 for the data kit for the Motorola Q? I have the software on my computer from my LG 8600 data kit. I know I would need to get the USB cable, but doesn't that come with the Q?

9. bandit390

bandit390 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    No data kit needed for the Q. Usb cable should come with the Q, if not you can get one cheap on ebay or someplace.

10. redorgreen

redorgreen New Member

How is the voice quality for the Q? Is it about the same as other Motorola phones (like the E815, which I ALMOST bought instead of the LG 8600)? I like the idea of having all the gadgets of a smart phone, but if the dang thing has poor reception.. I don't know if I will go to it.

11. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

It is a Motorola....