Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Tethering for Data on Laptop

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by R11290, Dec 27, 2007.

1. R11290

R11290 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Apple IPhone 3G S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Hi,

I just got a laptop and love having the convenience of Wireless internet. I would love to be able to get internet through my Alltel Samsung Wafer phone, however I really have no clue how to tether or what it involves, so I have a few questions:

First, does tethering require a separate data plan, or can I use my current plan on my phone that includes internet free after 9 and on the weekends and used from my anytime minutes at the other times?

Second, is my phone capable of tethering?

If so, how do I do it?

Or, should I just consider getting an air-card and data plan?

Thank you to anyone who responds, and sorry for such extensive questions. I'm not COMPLETELY clueless as far as cell phone goes, but as far as tethering I am very amateur.

Thanks again..

2. wlatemp

wlatemp Banned

3. bandit390

bandit390 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Tether with a usb cable or bluetooth(maybe....). Any data used will take away minutes....or you can buy unlimted data feature for tethering, price = $25 per month.

4. R11290

R11290 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Apple IPhone 3G S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    So, with my current All Axcess Pass without upgrading to the $25 feature, data will take away anytime minutes at all times, regardless of nights and weekends?

5. bandit390

bandit390 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It will take away minutes, whatever time you are doing it depends on what minutes it takes away from.

6. R11290

R11290 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Apple IPhone 3G S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Ok thanks, I understand. It'll work as it already does on my phone and only take away anytime minutes when its not night or weekends.

7. terrys

terrys New Member

My Phone:
    RAZR V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel

In the fine print of the Alltel contract it lets you know that the night and weekend minutes are for Voice Communication and not Data Internet Connection. As of the last year or two Alltel's software monitors those minutes for abuse.

I read recently there was a Verizon Customer who tried some feature for watching TV in some remote area. He got a bill for something like $65,000 that was finally negotiated down to $8,000 (?)

TALKING ABOUT OVERAGE!!!

8. coolman302003

coolman302003 New Member

I tether my LG Wave (AX380) phone with the Alltel all the time on the unlimted data for 24.99 per mo. I have the nat'l freedom 49.99 plan for voice calls. We have EVDO here in WV and I get 2Mbps download all the time with a USB cable, but it does not charge the phone?not sure why i've heard usb cables charge the phone but i maybe wrong ? With the bluetooth wireless modem i get about 600kbps download all the time tethered.

9. terrys

terrys New Member

My Phone:
    RAZR V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    The Wave is a great phone for tethering. You are right that the 24.99 is for unlimited data. Are those download figures from some Broadband Speed Test site such as speedtest.net? Are you using Windows XP or Vista? I have found that it speeds Vista connectiions up if you set the both the minimum and maximum virtual memory size to the recommended size. (3055 in the 2 machines I have checked so far). I brought the download speed from about 300 to about 750-800.

10. coolman302003

coolman302003 New Member

I have Windows Vista OS, and those results are from speedtest.net

11. coolman302003

coolman302003 New Member

My Latest Speedtest from Alltel tethered with USB cable:

[​IMG]

12. terrys

terrys New Member

My Phone:
    RAZR V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Some cables do charge the phone, others do not. I bought some Motorola branded cables that fit V60, 710, and E815 that did not. I bought 100 copies of Motorola Phone Tools software with Motorola cables that fit the RAZR that do charge the phone. I later bought some third party brands for the E815 that did charge. I just do a search on EBAY something like this now. E815, Data Cable, charging.

No need of buying one that does not charge the phone as it is not practical to use for tethering but for brief periods of time.

The ones that charge don't seem to cost anymore than the ones that don't.

13. jketcham

jketcham New Member

Hello, I really hate to bring up a thread that is as old as this one but I came across this in searching for alltel tethering and my question pertains to what has been discussed here.

Right now I have a contract through Verizon for mobile internet, I am paying $60/mo and the thing is I only use it for 3 or 4 months of the year - I am a storm chaser. So to me it's kind of a waste to pay $60/mo for something I don't use 8 or 9 months of the year.

I have a cell phone, contract and all for my cellular service, through Alltel and I have been looking at a cheaper way to get internet and one of those is by tethering my phone to my laptop.

One of the things I've seen people mention a few times is some $25/mo unlimited data plan through Alltel, but I'm confused because I do not see this on Alltel's website. The only data package I see is $59.99/mo.

It seems I have gotten some very inconsistent answers regarding tethering. Some have said you had to have the $59.99/mo data plan, others said no that you should just be able to connect your phone to your laptop and download the software and driver and you should be good to go, others said no that won't work, and then the mention of the $25/mo unlimited data.. but like I said I do not see on Alltel's website the $25/mo unlimited data plan.

So I'm confused by all the different answers I am getting and reading. I just need to get something cheaper that will work for me for 3-4 months of the year.

Thanks for any info you can provide me, and again I'm sorry for bringing up a topic as old as this one.

14. bandit390

bandit390 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Its now $30. Call in to get it added, if its not available to add as a feature when you log in.

15. royc

royc Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V262
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Alltel)
    Tethering is a feature that you can add or remove, so in the months you aren't storm chasing, you could just remove the tethering feature from the phone. Charges are pro-rated so you can split months or only have the feature active for a few days in a month and only pay for the days you use the feature. However once Verizon converts your account into their billing system, you might not be able to add tethering again at the $30 price or maybe not at all unless you change to a Verizon plan (and tethering on their plans is $50/month).

royc

16. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

No, VZW tethering is only $30/month, with a 5GB/month cap.

However, you must have a VZW device with a VZW plan to be able to use it.

One other note: If they keep their Alltel plan they should be able to add/remove the Alltel $30 tethering feature though.

17. royc

royc Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V262
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Alltel)
    According to post #7 in this thread:

http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/verizon-wireless-users/74268-phone-as-modem-question.html

VZW's tethering price is $30 for smartphones that already have a data plan and $60 for conventional phones. I remember reading somewhere on HoFo recently that the conventional phone tethering price has since been reduced to $50, but I can't confirm that.

Has anyone that's been converted to the Verizon billing system, that still has an Alltel plan and isn't currently signed up for the tethering feature looked in their on-line account to see if the tethering feature is still available? It's nice to be able to turn it on and off as needed for vacations, etc. I'd hate to lose that feature (even if it costs more than $30) while I stubbornly cling to my Alltel plan after conversion.

royc

18. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

You have incorrect information. ALL VZW tethering, smartphone and NON, is $30/month just like Alltel. In fact that is why Alltel adjusted the smartphone tethering from $10 to $30/month so their prices would be inline.

And yes, if you still have an Alltel plan the Allten tethering is still available.

Trust me I know this stuff.

19. royc

royc Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V262
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Alltel)
    OK. Good to know that tethering on a VZW plan is $30 and it will still be available on my Alltel plan after I'm assimilated. Thanks.

royc