Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Tether 8125?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows Mobile Phones' started by AJE, Apr 10, 2006.

1. AJE

AJE Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I am trying to find out how to tether the 8125 through USB. I have searched the web for a few days now and found people saying it works but don't explain how. I have had limited success with bluetooth but I need USB to work.

Thanks

2. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    I don't have the 8125, but if the wModem.exe app is loaded on your device it will make the connection pretty easy.

1st disable activesync on your PC.
    2nd using "file explorer" on your PPC browse to the "windows" folder click the menu and check the option to "show all files", then scan all the way down until you find the program called "WModem"
    3rd plug your USB cable into your PC, your PC should now recognize it as a modem and load the appropriate drivers.

The WModem utility will simulate the device as a wireless modem, and let your PC/notebook be connected to network wirelessly.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AJE

AJE Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Thanks BeachBum, but I can't find the file wmodem in the windows dir on the ppc. I have checked the show all files but still can't find it. Is this file in WM 5.0?

4. WirelessBeachBum

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Yes it's in WM5, I know when Verizon installs their propriatary software, they remove that file. When you first turned on your 8125 did it automatically load some programs onto your phone?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. AJE

AJE Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    The 8125 is through Cingular, and yes it loads files when it is turned on for the first time, so maybe that is what is happening. I have also checked our Treo 700 through Verizon and the file is not there either. There is a file called wmdrm on both devices though.

6. WirelessBeachBum

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    I'll see if I can search and find a thread or a site devoted to tweaking your device, if not you can look at the XV6700 thread some of the modifications should work on your device.

If Cingular is removing that file or restricting it, there may be a registry setting you can change, or you can disable the initial set-up and only install the programs you need and remove the restrictions. I'll look around and see what information is available.

7. AJE

AJE Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Thanks for checking on this for me.

8. AJE

AJE Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Ok, I finally found a post on how to get this working. However I can not use my PPTP VPN through the tethering? I am still looking into this but I think it has something to do with the APN has to be isp.cingular but I don't know how to change it? Oh well the search goes on...