Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Tell me if this is unreasonable

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by jenniferpa, Jan 4, 2006.

1. jenniferpa

jenniferpa New Member

My son's Sprint contract is up, and having looked around, I've decided to stick with Sprint. I have a Verizon contract as well (for DD who's at college) but even going to a family plan doesn't make much financial sense. If I was a new sprint customer, and I ordered online, I could get the phone I want, plus the necessary service for $42 and change (no special deals or discounts). The only one time charge would be 19.99 for the phone. The way sprint's website works, though, I don't seem to be able to do this as an existing customer. Is it reasonable to call and ask for this deal? If it matters, I've been a customer for 4 years, always paid on time etc.

Jennifer

2. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    Wirelessly posted (Walkguru's: Nokia6682/2.0 (3.01.1) SymbianOS/8.0 Series60/2.6 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Sure, give it a shot. The worst is they will say no.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jenniferpa

jenniferpa New Member

Yes, after I posted this I realised the only sure way to find this out was to actually call them! I just hate not knowing where I stand, though, before I start something like this, so I was hoping that someone could give me the benefit of their own experience.

Jennifer

Edited to add: Ironically, I just the checked the price of the phone, and it's gone up $30 since yesterday. Boo Hoo. So all I need to find out is a) if they'll waive the activation fee, and b) if I can get the $150 discount even if I don't sign up for a plan over $34.99 (which is what the rebate says I have to do, but which doen't apply to new customers), because I only need the $29.99 plan

4. jenniferpa

jenniferpa New Member

Do you think it's a conscious decision on sprint's part to irritate their customers so much that they either go away or simply give up? According to CSR, even though the website says all you have to do as a new customer is activate a 2 year contract to get the instant rebate, sprint will, in fact charge you $150 when you're billed. I find this hard to believe. I'm right on the fence about this - I really don't need a $34.99 plan but it is, after all, only $5.00 a month. On the other hand it's the principle of the thing. I could switch to Verizon (I have a phone there already) but the one thing that's keeping me at sprint is the option to get the Sanyo rl-4930, which is possibly a phone that might withstand my son's handling. I've considered nextel since some of their phones are even tougher, but service is spotty. Any advice would be welcome.

Jennifer

5. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Wirelessly posted (MOT-8720_/00.62 UP.Browser/6.2.3.4.c.1.104 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

Well if you need a low end plan and sprint is not willing to let you do it the way that would fit your needs do look into either a low end family plan with another carrier or definetely look into tmobile.

6. WiggyFife

WiggyFife still knows nothing!!!

My Phone:
    Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    If you are in possession of a Costco Membership, you could try signing up through the wireless kiosk in-store @ Costco. They should waive Act Fees & possibly hook you up with extras!!! Just an idea!!!

7. TProphet

TProphet I *am* a mobile phone

My Phone:
    Sanyo 7200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Cingular, Virgin Mobile Canada
    Sprint will generally give you a better deal to activate a new line of service than to upgrade an existing line. Therefore, if you want the best deal, cancel your existing Sprint service and sign up again with a new phone number. The SERO plans (which are only available to new customers) make this an easy decision.

Personally, I don't think this makes a whole lot of sense. However, I'm resigned to the fact that Sprint is a bizarre company and it's inordinately difficult to do business with them. On balance, it's worth jumping through a few hoops to get a better deal; the SERO plans are hard to beat.

8. SprintEnigma

SprintEnigma New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung 920
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SPRINT
    Im not sure that would work.. I know if someone asked me that I would have to consult my manager. If you'd like I can ask... :-/
    As for going through Customer Care to get thet deal it would depend on a few things. Since Im not looking at your account I cant really tell you the likelyhood that they would do all of that for you. However I can tell you about some of the things they'll be looking at.
    1-how many phones you have 2-how long youve been a customer 3-if youve had your phones shut off, and how many times
    Another thing as a side note, online the activation fee is usually waived but thats an online offer. CC and in store usually wont honor that.
    Sprint doesnt want to loose customers however so there are exceptions. Just dont get your hopes up...