Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Tech help needed for Nokia charging problem- PRETTY PLEASE?

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by Cactus Flower, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Cactus Flower

Cactus Flower New Member

Hello all. I came here to seek advice and instead I've spent two hours just browsing the posts.....this is a very interesting and highly addictive site.

Ok, here's my problem:

I just upgraded to a Nokia 3588i phone at a Sprint store in Denver (which is nine hours away from me). I bought a car charger as well. The home charger works fine, but the car charger didn't. Every time I plugged my phone into it, my phone would display a flashing STOP sign and the words "NOT CHARGING!".
    Okey dokey. Returned that charger to the Sprint store.
    I've since gotten another car charger, and it has worked just fine and dandy for a few weeks. Now it is doing the SAME THING. In lieu of throwing both phone and charger at the wall, I thought I'd ask you all for advice. I do not have a Sprint store nearby- I live comfortably out in the boonies.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Sadie

2. xikle

xikle For rent: inquire below

My Phone:
    BB Curve
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Moble
    I'll take a guess and say that it's the phone since you have gone through two different chargers. I could be wrong, this is just a guess, someone else should be about to either confirm or give you a better answer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. rich6880

rich6880 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3589i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    First, determine exactly where the problem is. The easy way to do this is try charging from another car. The results will tell you if it is the phone or the car.

I am sorry that your first visit here, is due to problems, but let me welcome you aboard and let you know we like to see you here often.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Cactus Flower

Cactus Flower New Member

Thanks for the responses. I'm starting to think it's a glitch with the phone, too. Can't be the car, as the other night when I was having this problem a friend let me try using their charger (in my car) and it began charging normally right away.
    I can't believe I got two bad chargers in a row, though. I might have to drive all the way back to Denver to where I bought it from and trade it back in.

5. rich6880

rich6880 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3589i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It may be two bad chargers. A batch of chargers is manufacured. Someone on the assembly line was upset because he lost his girlfriend, or had too much to drink. He does not put a particular part into the charger. Your store in Denver gets a shipment, they are all from the same batch.

I think you get my meaning, your particular batch might be bad. If I were you, call your provider, get them to ship you a new charger, with the provision that you will mail back the old one or bring it to the store.

Bottom line, do not buy if from the same store.

6. Cactus Flower

Cactus Flower New Member

I'm very sorry, I should have clarified- I did not get the second charger from the same store. In fact, I got the second charger at Walmart. It is supposed to be compatible with my phone model, and it did work for a while.
    Sprint recently sent a response email to me saying that the phone should be covered under warranty for one year. They advise me to return it to the store in Denver. Your suggestion makes me wonder....will they maybe let me send it to them instead of having to drive that far? I'm going to call them in the morning and find out.

Thanks again everyone.

7. coalminer

coalminer Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Tour
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I had a 5170 that did that exact same thing, it didnt like any aftermarket chargers, would only charge if using the Nokia branded chargers, now my 3585i I use that with a knockoff charger and it works just fine.

8. Cactus Flower

Cactus Flower New Member

Thank you very much! Having to buy a Nokia charger is certainly better than having to drive nine hours to Denver and trade in my phone again! I really appreciate your advice, and will be picking up a Nokia charger A.S.A.P