Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

TDMA Minute Checking Available

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I happened to notice an option on Cingular's new automated menu which lists "Minutes Used." Upon selecting this option I was told the amount of Peak/OffPeak Minutes used up to date. Cingular also has a disclosure prior to the release of information that the records could be delayed by up to five business days. Nevertheless, this is a benefit long overdue for TDMA users and will allow some of us to better gauge our usage and make plan adjustments accordingly.

2. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yes, I noticed that also. You can call their toll-free number and they have redesigned the menus. Its easier to follow and you can check your minutes used. You can check your minutes online and pay your bill as well. They just need to reconfigure 611 access because since the recent change you can't connect to them anymore. It's not easy to bring about 10 different companies (from which they were born) under one single operating structure, from the phone display, to the bill statements, to online account access.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

Sounds good to me . I sure wish AT&T Wireless would do this for Dig Adv , Reg Adv TDMA customers .

4. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Cool.

At&T is behind in that service

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

good for cingular. while they are progressing, sprint, which has been ahead of the game in letting you check minutes used.....is regressing. from now on dialing *4 to check account usage will now take airtime away from you. however, as i tell all spcs customers i talk to you can still check your minutes free online or by dialing *2 and simply telling Claire to 'check minutes used' or something to that nature.

6. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Idiot, if you call Sprint's customer svc number, isn't there an option to check the minutes? It would be free that way. Whenever you call Cingular's toll free number from your cell it doesn't take your minutes away.

7. IdiOTeQnoLogY

pardon.......for a moment i forgot we arent all sprint customers [​IMG] when i say *2 from your handset that is sprint Customer Service. at first you get that ever popular Voice Recognition person named CLAIRE...........but which you can ask "check minutes used" and she will tell you your account usage or you can also check your balance etc........*2 is a free call.......so is *3 which is where you can pay your bill over the phone with a CC or check.

8. RBOCMAN

RBOCMAN Junior Member

Whoa...i guess being a GSM user has spoilt me. I always thought that daily updates to cell phone minutes was too long, I guess minute usage checking is actually new to some users here. I cant imagine that kind of lag time in reporting minutes, I wonder what switches we use that take this long to update CSR records. Must be some extremely old bay switches...

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Thus far, I have not noticed a delay in reporting minutes and there are no inaccuracies when comparing with my manual log. I assume that calls made on Cingular TDMA towers are reported relatively fast whereas AT&T/Roamer partners may take sometime to be accounted for..

10. IdiOTeQnoLogY

i just found out that sprint users will no longer be able to check account usage via *2 starting on august 28th. thus making the only way to check minutes used over the phone via *4 which takes airtime. the only free way is via the web. very stupid move on sprint in order to save themselves a few minutes of airtime they are eating into customers minutes.....its not that big a deal just check your minutes during N&W hours when airtime is more then plentiful; but I still view this move by sprint as very customer unfriendly and i strongly disagree with it.

11. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Why Is Sprint becoming so cheap lately? They just seem to be getting worse and worse. Their maps haven't been updated in forever, their rate plans suck and aren't competive at all, and now they are getting rid of the free air time checking. Sprint PCS [​IMG]

12. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Smarteqnology [​IMG] what I meant was if you actually dial Sprint's toll-free number (from your home phone maybe), can you check your minutes that way? With Cingular, if you dial 1-866-CINGULAR from your cellphone it does not eat up your airtime minutes. Can you do this with Sprint as well instead of dialing *2, *3 or *4?

13. IdiOTeQnoLogY

well from what i know the toll free CS number you can call from home is the same as dialing *2 from your handset which is free........they both goto the same place. so i am assuming (and i will test it from home later) that if you call the toll free # from home and check minutes that way it will be unavailable starting 8/28 as well. they are leaving no loopholes on this one i think. they must want that airtime bad.

14. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I've noticed how Sprint has that same control-freak attitude that AT&T has.

15. IdiOTeQnoLogY

it didnt used to be this way ....sniff

16. smalltalker

smalltalker New Member

I saw somewhere that Sprint charges to talk to a rep. True?

17. IdiOTeQnoLogY

if you are a credit challenged customer who calls a live rep to check something that you can do with the automated system easily (like say check your balance or check you rminutes etc) they will charge you$3. if you are not on a credit challenged plan there should be no fee for CS period.

if you are a credit challenged customer who needs to speak to a rep for an issue that could not be taken care of automated they will waive the fee.

personally i wish that there was no fee period. basically CS has limited resources and i have seen a lot of customers call CS just to ask about minutes used or bill amount and all this info is available automated so they are trying to free up CS time from all that time wasting issues in order to deal with more problem related calls.

unfortunately sprint CS could use some help as a lot of the reps aren't too knowledgeable but i have also gotten great reps as well.

18. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Perhaps they don't have enough staff or they are simply trying to keep costs down. It is ironic how credit troubled people get to pay more than those with good credit in any kind of business.

19. nessa

nessa New Member

AT&T will be offering the service later this year (online checking of minutes used) but only for pcs (obviously).

20. rockon83

rockon83 Junior Member

Where on cingular's website can you check your minutes??

21. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Enter your area and click on "Manage my account". Then, click on "View Minutes Used". If you don't see a "View Minutes Used" option then the feature is not available in your area yet.