Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

T-Moble/SunCom problems

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by myone, Aug 21, 2008.

1. myone

myone New Member

On the downside of T-Mobile's acquisition of SunCom is that I've lost a good 40% of my coverage area. AT&T won't let us roam on their towers anymore, so now I have to rely strictly on SunCom's towers until T-Mobile can build out the area more. I know at some point, T-Mobile will have good coverage, but it isn't helping me now and with all the other cellular choices I have, why would I want to stay with them? I guess, I'm at their mercy on a sale I never asked for and I'm forced to deal with a degradation of service in the short term. The irony of all this is, I was one of the few who never had any problems with SunCom in the 5 years I've been with them and their coverage (with AT&T's help) was perfect for me. Either way, T-Mobile can add another future lost customer! Any ideas on how to get out of my contract with this one?

2. guy2

guy2 Senior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Your coverage should get better soon.Have you tried a new phone or another sim card?As i understand it they have cutoff the Att roaming because they have added alot of new towers in the carolinas.I'm not sure if the new towers are on or if they are going to turn them on when they re- brand the old suncom stores.Go to your nearest t-mobile/suncom store and ask them.I don't think there is anyway to get out of your contract.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    T-Mobile says they have added over 400 new cell sites - I guess to account for the ones they are losing with AT&T roaming being eliminated. I wonder how many of those are turned on yet? They have done it so fast, I guess they all aren't lit up:

SunCom | T-Mobile Merger

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Toyman01

Toyman01 New Member

I was told over the phone the other day by Suncom that I could probably get out of the contract free due to the fact that they no longer covered the areas I traveled. I have been raising hell with them since they made the switch. The way I see it is they have breached their contract with me by changing the service they provide for the worse. I am looking for a new provider now. Any ideas?

5. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    In Charleston?
    Well Alltel and Verizon have always been very well in that part of SC.
    Alltel works well for me all over when I travel over to Charleston and down to Hilton Head/Savannah.

Not sure about Cricket's new Chrleston network
    But GSM has many more weak spots overall in the Carolinas.

By the way, SunCom does have a coverage viewer
    so you can clearly see where T-Mobile needs to put up some towers in areas with AT&T only.
    I guess AT&T roaming is over for SunCom,
    so all the "partner" coverage on the map is no longer valid.

Coverage Viewer - SunCom

6. Toyman01

Toyman01 New Member

Alltel is probably where I am headed. Suncom has worked fairly well for the past several years, but with their loss of partner towers it is now pitiful. I run Myrtle Beach to Savannah at least once a week, and Suncom's coverage now seems to end at the last traffic light on the way out of town.

7. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    It looks like SunCom / T-Mobile has a new website for the SunCom Transition,
    the web address and even the site itself are funny,
    as they describe something good getting better, a very good day (yeah right, for most SunCom customers :loony:).

VeryGoodDay.info - SunCom is becoming T-Mobile

8. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Old:Alltel, Nextel, At&t, USCC, Cricket)
    Alltel has the best coverage of any of the carriers in th Carolinas without question. I am from Charlotte and travel to some pretty crazy places in the Carolinas. This past year, I hav done work in Dorchester County, SC, Richlad County, SC, Horry County, SC...and I mean every corner of these counties. Look up Green Seas in Horry County or the town of Salley or North, SC...real rural. My phone works great everywhere. Alltel is the coverage king in the Carolinas...good cs and the plans are well priced too. Their phones suck, but it is worth the sacrifice.

9. BradQue

BradQue Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sidekick 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile
    I noticed a distinct reduction in coverage this weekend (Labor Day) when traveling from the vicinity of Jacksonville NC though Richlands-Kinston-Snow Hill-Wilson and continuing North on Hwy 301. Coverage picked up near the Virginia Border.

The phone was roaming on Suncom but coverage wasn't all that great for receiving emails on the phone (a Sidekick).

10. myone

myone New Member

As an example of the coverage difference, the picture labeled regional was the coverage we were receiving before, now we are at the mercy of the month to month picture. Big difference and a whole lot of lost coverage there! T-Mobile better fill in those holes quick!

Attached Files:

11. myone

myone New Member

Isn't alltel merging with Verizon?

12. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Old:Alltel, Nextel, At&t, USCC, Cricket)
    Yup...but what's your point? It is better to sign up wih Alltel than Verizon right now in the Carolinas. The coverage is better and the plans are cheaper. It is a no brainer. The merger may or may not go through. If it does you will most likely be able to keep your Alltel plan through the extent of the contract. Alltel does not rely on anyone else to provide them with coverage in most of the Carolinas like Suncom did. If anything, Verizon relies on Alltel to provide them coverage where they have holes in the Carolinas. So even if the merger does go through, you will not lose coverage like with the Tmobile/Suncom deal. If anything it will get better.