Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

T-Mobile, Verizon top JD Power Wireless Call Quality Survey

Discussion in 'Wireless News' started by Matt, Mar 16, 2006.

1. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It makes me wonder how common this is. The same people might have a tendency to do these surveys with a regularity more than those who have never done one before (like myself).

2. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    If you respond to their requests, that enhances your chance of being selected for the survey. JDPA states they do their surveys randomly, although they make sure that they have a representative sample of actual owners/users of the product or service they are surveying.

I have been surveyed for their auto reports once, and that's it. I've never asked to be on their lists, however.

http://consumercenter.jdpower.com/cc/rd/cc/global/content/faq_general.asp

If these surverys were as "fixed" as some people imply (here and elsewhere, no matter if it's telecom, autos, etc.) their results would not be recognized across the industries.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I agree there are people who over time will be surveyed more than others. Also, that *could* significantly skew the results, but only if you are using a small sample size that is not randomized. Then, you'd be sampling the same people over and over and over again. I was a member of a consumer panel for 5 years, filling out monthly surveys on a variety of products. Choice is the real issue here - most people who receive surverys in the mail just toss them out. I've also done Arbitron ratings twice, and Neilsen ratings once - all because I chose not to throw out the survey I received in the mail. Maybe my pas t particiaption influenced my chance to get another survey - surveys cost money and you have to have people respond in order to have results.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Hey Matt, if T-Mobile wasn't on top in those markets would you still be fighting this hard to justify the results? ;)

5. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Actually I would. It doesn't really matter to me personally if TM gets awards or not. It's nice to see, since it is an affirmation of sorts that TM is comitted to the customer. I just need them to work where I live, work, and travel, and the customer care to be there when I need it. T-Mobile has done so, and continues to do so, so I have no need to look elsewhere.

With a backgournd in math, I tend to try and straighten out what I percieve to be possible misunderstandings with regards to surveys, etc. Consumer Reports is another hot topic around here. I've been a subscriber for many years - if you take the time to understand what results they are reporting (and what they aren't reporting) it can be a valuable assistance tool - whether you are getting a new car, cell phone provider, or dishwasher. :D

6. vicken

vicken Junior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I read over the article and the study has nothing to do with coverage, just call quality based on the following: dropped/disconnected calls; static/interference; connection on first try; voice distortion; no echoes; no immediate voice mail notification; and no immediate text message notification.

I had Sprint for 3 years and I thought the call quality was really good until I switched to T-Mobile. My calls are now clearer and sounds more like a landline. Coverage wise I think they are equal or slightly weaker than Sprint.

So I don't think it's a stretch to think that JD Powers survey is right on.

7. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    This brings up one more point that's been discussed already. If T-Mobile is really that good then why do they have the highest churn rate in the industry?

8. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    One of the reasons I think T-Mobile has a high churn rate is their customer base. T-Mobile seems to have a large 18-24 year old crowd. Young people are the hardest to satisfy and seem to switch the most.

9. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    That could very well be but Cingular is also an 18-24 age group favorite as well. (at least around here).

10. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I can't answer that, although I do think Dan has a point about the T-Mobile customer base. Although I don't have access to data that proves it, TM is known to advertise to younger customers. I do know that they have stopped advertising in the Washington Post - their ads have dropped from two-three times per week, then once, and now nothing in probably a month. The others advertise almost every day.

I am curious to see how the new 2-year contract for renewals affects churn. The take rate on 2-year renewals is extremely high. TM was supposed to start offering 2-years to new activations (keeping a 1-year option) but that was delayed. I think this move will reduce the churn rate.

11. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Maybe T-Mo's high churn has more to do with the amount of prepaid customers in relation to postpaid customers.

12. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It may have something to do with it, but I haven't looked at the churn rates of other carriers that have prepaid. Do they split it out? TM prepaid churn is 6.6%, postpaid chrun is 2.3%. They have increased prepaid percentage of the base over the last year. TM used to be about 90% postpaid, now down to 85% or so.

13. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    PC Magazine has published an article based on the JD Power Survery. I found the article interesting. I'm going to post the article below, it's worth reading.

Verizon, T-Mobile Tops In Call-Quality Survey
    Cingular In The Doghouse (Verizon, T-Mobile Tops In Call-Quality Survey)
    By Sascha Segan

Verizon and T-Mobile deliver the clearest calls across much of the country, and Cingular has trouble making connections, research firm JD Power and Associates said in a new report yesterday.

In a survey of 23,368 wireless users nationwide, JD Power’s Wireless Call Quality Performance Study concluded that Verizon and T-Mobile tied for best calls in the Northeast. Verizon triumphed in the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast, T-Mobile ranked highest in the Southwest and West, and US Cellular did best in Illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio, Indiana, and Michigan, an area JD Power called “North Central.”

T-Mobile and Verizon both did well in terms of “initial connections, dropped/disconnected calls, and voice distortion,” according to the study. Sprint Nextel and ALLTEL were near the average in the regions where they competed.

But Cingular, the nation’s largest wireless carrier with more than 54 million customers, ranked at or near the bottom in every region. In both JD Power’s North Central and Southwest regions, Cingular scored 99 to the leader’s 108; any difference of four or more points is notable, according to JD Power senior director for wireless services Kirk Parsons. Cingular did especially poorly with dropped calls and initial connections.

“This is something that has been consistent with Cingular,” Parsons said. “Some of it has to do with the merger issues they’ve been going through [since they absorbed the old AT&T Wireless] … the complexity of merging different technologies together on the network side.”

"Verizon and Alltel did best on call quality in our most recent reader survey, in October 2005. Cingular Wireless, Nextel and former AT&T Wireless customers now on Cingular came out with below average call quality in that survey."

Cingular rep Mark Siegel said Cingular is working hard to improve, and that recent improvements may not have been reflected in the survey, which was conducted partially in October 2005 and partially during this February.

“As a result of our aggressive efforts to integrate the Cingular and former AT&T Wireless networks, and our build-out of our 3G network, we have already begun to see some significant improvements—so much so that we are now running a national advertising campaign touting the fact that Cingular has the fewest dropped calls. This claim is based on third-party data based on drive testing. In markets where our integration has been completed, we are seeing blocked calls decreasing by 40 percent and dropped calls decreasing by 30 percent,” Siegel said.

T-Mobile’s success came from the fact that the number-four wireless carrier is focused, Parsons said. Rather than trying to blanket the nation in coverage, T-Mobile does “a very good job” of dealing with customers in its core metro areas, he said.

“These strong call-quality results for T-Mobile are a further demonstration that our continued focus on enhancing the customer experience is paying off,” said Neville Ray, senior vice president for Engineering & Operations, T-Mobile USA. “Network coverage and quality have been significantly enhanced where our customers live, work and play, and this study is significant, positive affirmation of our progress.”

Verizon, the nation’s number-two carrier with more than 51 million subscribers, has gone from strength to strength in the Northeast, with a top ranking for all three years JD Power has done this survey. Though they didn’t do so well in North Central, they’ve been “consistently good performers” nationwide, Parsons said.

“We have the reputation for the nation’s most reliable network because it’s true. This is one of many surveys and third-party opinions that together consistently put Verizon Wireless ahead of the competition in terms of network quality,” Verizon spokesman Thomas Pica said.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1939338,00.asp

14. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I am wondering if I missed something here

Are they talking about TDMA to GSM?
    I didn't think since TDMA hasn't been shut down yet that it was causing them big problems for Blue & Orange customers and I wonder how many people surveyed were TDMA customers VS GSM customers?
    I do know a lot of people were having issues during the integration of the Blue & Orange networks & like this article says it's mixed between Oct. 05 & Feb. 06 if that has any influence on the results as well as GSM vs TDMA customers.

Don't get me wrong JD Powers is a reputable company & I am not disputing the results, just trying to figure some things out, that's all.

15. Shizuka

Shizuka Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I wonder, Why do I need JD Power and Associates to pick my wireless provider?
    Is JD Power and Associates paying my bill?

Do you vote for the candidate with the highest poll results? Or do you use your vote wisely for the best candidate?

Cingular works for me. That's the only survey I need. If times comes and it doesn't work, then I will try another provider.

But statistics cannot predict a future behavior. They only measure a result in a given moment. Human analysis predicts, no statistics.

Today A is better than B. Tomorrow C is better than A.
    So, why should I review JDP&A surveys to pick between providers?

16. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Good point and I agree with you there.

17. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Unfortunately, many people don't know better and see them as a guide to follow for their individual needs.