Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

T-Mobile, Verizon top JD Power Wireless Call Quality Survey

Discussion in 'Wireless News' started by Matt, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    http://www.jdpa.com/pdf/2006037.pdf

J.D. Power and Associates Reports:
    The Number of Call Quality Problems Experienced with a
    Wireless Service has Declined for a Second Consecutive Year
    T-Mobile Ranks Highest in Three Regions and Verizon Wireless Ranks Highest in Three Regions in Call Quality Performance

WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif.: 16 March 2006 – The overall rate of customers experiencing a wireless call quality problem has declined for a second consecutive year, with reported problems per 100 calls (PP100) reaching the lowest level since the inaugural study in 2003, according to Volume 1 of the J.D. Power and Associates 2006 Wireless Call Quality Performance StudySM released today.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I'm not surprised by the results in my area of the country. Verizon and Alltel rank the highest in the Southeast according to that report and I would have to agree with that.

3. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Surprise, surprise.

4. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    They didn't survey me. :(

For if they did, I would have told them exactly where my T-Mobile displays all seven bars of signal strength, where in the exact same spot, my Verizon only displays two.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Are you sure that's possible, Ed? We all know that JD Power surveys (of any kind) are rigged, and it can't be possible that TM is committed to improvements ;)

Actually, for the most part the carriers scored similarly.

6. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yes, I am absolutely sure. :)

I'm also waiting for the JD Power Customer Service survey to be released, and we all know who is going to win that one for a fourth straight year! :D

7. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It looks like somebody is bumping the same old thread over and over again. LOL! I'm surprised they didn't mention that Cingular had the worst rating in all but one region.

8. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    That's exactly what I thought when I first saw the thread. :D

9. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
  10. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I actually put some credit in these surveys. Verizon and T-Mobile come out at the top not only in JD Power surveys but in many other wireless surveys. I've also noticed from personal experience that Verizon and T-Mobile users seem to be happiest with their service.

11. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
  12. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Not in my area. Here the most unhappy customers are on T-Mobile and Nextel. They either hate Nextel or they love it. The problem is their coverage is poor. T-Mobile used to be famous for users churning out because of lack of coverage, but that is quickly changing. The happiest users here are with Verizon, Cingular and Sprint somewhere in the middle.

13. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I know. But that's because we know better. The way that press release is written will make any average person think Cingular is so much better than Verizon in this area. In reality, I think Verizon is only slightly better.

14. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Today, the battery in my Verizon phone went from 2/3rds full (5 bars out of 7), down to NOTHING (0 bars out of 7), and that is without making a single call all day! :mad:

Why did this happen?​

Unless the phone is within line-of-sight of a structure with Verizon equipment on it, the phone NEVER displays full-signal. The weaker the signal, the faster the battery drains and my opinion, also results in diminished call quality.​

My T-Mobile has a different story to tell. Its battery was charged last night. I made a couple of calls on it today (because the Verizon battery went dead!) and browsed the mobile web a few times. By the time the afternoon rolled around, both the the battery and signal strength meters still displayed full (7 bars our of 7). :)

15. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    In my opinion, with well over 150 Million people using cell phones in the country, these companies should use more then a total of 22,000 + people to get a better picture of the questions they ask.
    And maybe breaking regions down more or differently, I think some area's 1 carrier can push their survey up or down by the states in that region & population.

I am sure the other carriers will find a way to make this announcement and soon at that.

I noticed in today's paper Sprint/Nextel is getting in the NY best carrier mix.
    In the ad it say's "Switch to Sprint. No one has a more powerful network in NY" Then they talk about how they have been adding towers in NY and from Essex to Union to Somerset Counties. And they are offering Coverage where you need it Guaranteed. (The guarantee sems to only cover the 14 day trial period though)

16. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile

Lol, that kind of made me chuckle. :D

Interesting how T-Mobile ranks highest in the West. Depending on where in the West you look at, a carrier like Verizon has more native coverage than T-Mobile, but quality wise, the areas I've been to that T-Mobile has native coverage, it's usually very, very good built out.

17. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Guess who built T-mobile's network in the west: the carrier that for some reason was always rated the lowest. Does that make any sense? ;)

18. Fathead

Fathead In the Industry

Now that's not entirely accurate. Cingular didn't build all of T-Mobile's network.

19. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Statistically speaking 22K is more than enough for a margin of error of a few points. Many political insta-polls query a lot fewer people. Asking 100K won't give you a significantly different answer from a stasticial point of view.

Bobo - I think you and I will both agree that the Cingular network in CA/NV that was co-owned by the Facotry JOA improved significantly during that time. I sw many posts of Cingular users that appreicated the improvements out there.

20. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    True but honestly T-Mobile hasn't really added a whole lot since they took over here in CA. I'm always watching the public hearings and land use permits and T-Mobile rarely comes up. Cingular/AT&T is the one who's doing all the building right now.

21. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    That's because they have to. Their network down there sucks right now and they will lose more and more customers the longer it will take them to get their network in act.

22. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I don't know about that, you do get a bigger picture of what's really happening when you get more opinions, just look at the election polls that were so far off. I may be wrong about that but I really do think they could get a much better picture (being someone that does these surveys).

23. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I did a quick google for margin of error for the US population. This link shows the math.

http://www.robertniles.com/stats/sample.shtml

If you use the 22K sample size, you get a margin of error of 0.6% (I didn't look hard enough but I assume it's a 95% confidence interval). You can see in the link that drastically increasing sample size doesn't greatly improve your results.

24. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

I see what your saying, I guess it's just hard to believe that you can get an accurate survey from a small # of people. Thanks for the link Matt.

25. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I've only had a couple of stats classes over the years, but it is amazing how small a sample size is needed relative to the total size of the group in order to get an accurate result. Maybe the reason political polls seem so wrong is people lie when they talk to the pollster ;)

26. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Even so it brings up the same old question of do they interview the same people repeatedly?

27. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Of course they do! They want the same results eery year right? That's why TM and Verizon are paying the big money to JD Power :rolleyes: ;)

Seriously, I have no idea why anyone would think that JD Power interviews the same people. You can submit to join their internet panel from this page (bottom right):

http://consumercenter.jdpower.com/cc/rd/cc/index.asp

28. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Because someone posted here one time they had repeatedly been surveyed. I wouldn't be surprised if many of the people they survey are surveyed again because those people are on the contact list or simply apply over and over again.

29. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

I have done their survey's over the last few years, and I do seem to get chosen for the wireless survey's when I respond to their emails, it may be because they are looking for a certain # of people with each carrier in the different areas of the country & I respond fast enough to get chosen before it's closed.

30. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I never said they did. But I am willing to bet that all the cities where T-Mobile excelled IN THE WEST surveyed by JD were built by Cingular.