Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

T-Mobile Unveils G2 Android Phone

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by JFB, Sep 9, 2010.

1. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung S20 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Mint Mobile
    *Press Release*

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung S20 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Mint Mobile
    *Press Release*

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung S20 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Mint Mobile
  4. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Nice phone if you really need a hardware keyboard and you like to tether. :)

5. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I know that one of our Forumites Friends is waiting eagerly for this one and has been as ever since it was first announced.

He is waiting to pre order as soon as he can, right SteveW? :D

6. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung S20 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Mint Mobile
    I'm starting to think about this one for myself. :browani:

Current T-Mobile customers get the 1st shot at it.

7. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Go for it Joe. :D

Yes they do. Steve has the G1 now and has been a T-Mobile customer for a while. In a way they are the beta testers.

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; SonyEricssonX10a Build/R2CA016) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1

#7 charlyee, Sep 10, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  8. SteveW

SteveW Battery mgmt is my life

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

That is correct. I'm typing this on my G1, which will be two years old in January. It lags whenever you switch between applications or to the home screen. Its battery is gettting weaker and weaker, but I refuse to buy a new one. I have to manually clear my browser cache so I have even a little free RAM. And I have fewer than 25 apps.

Once I thought that the myTouch 3G Slide would be my G1 upgrade, but it was underwhelming (processor and RAM) and too expensive for what you got.

I'm glad I waited. This G2 could be the real thing. Unfortunately, yesterday's announcement didn't tell us much that hadn't been rumored for weeks. Not even the pre-order date, which you would think they know by now.

Of course I registered on the "Sign Up To Stay In The Loop" site, as soon as they put it up, weeks ago. Did they notify loyal customers at all, in conjunction with the official site and Press Release? Not a peep.

Regardless of the strange marketing, the phone looks good, and will definitely be an upgrade for me, in every way but one (the 4 row keyboard), but I'm betting I can get used to that. Let's get it out already T-Mo!

SW

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1

#8 SteveW, Sep 10, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  9. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    A few personal comments on the details..

So they're admitting that the myTouch 3G Slide was just a placeholder. Not a Sidekick successor (that's still to come, apparently) and not a G1 successor.

I like the "with Google" part, because those are the "Google Experience" phones, sometimes referred to as "stock Android". This means that it has the Android UI, all the Google apps are loaded, and the carrier does not block any apps in the Android Market. It also means, of course, that if you like some of the UI "enhancements", such as HTC Sense, you don't get it on this phone.

Not including Boston (yet), unfortunately for me.

Looking forward to the larger screen. Since the human hand isn't changing in size very quickly (and neither are men's shirt pockets), there is a limit to how big these things can get. IMHO, the 4 inch and bigger screens are just too big. This may be the right size.

I'm a bit worried about the "unique hinge" since this means it's not tested in the real world. HTC engineers are hinge experts, though, so it will probably be OK.

I'm hoping for good performance and a battery that lasts through the day and evening. If I only have to charge it every night, I'll be thrilled.

I am really looking forward to this flash. The low and medium-light performance of the G1 camera is awful. Only really good in sunlight. Indoors, and especially in the average dimly lit restaurant or bar, you can forget it.

What this doesn't say, but some other spec listings do, is that there is 4 GB of system memory. Since Android 2.2 isn't all that big, I'm sure a few GB will be available for apps (even without storing apps on the SD card, which I have heard 2.2 can do). This is a big improvement over not only the G1, but the myTouch 3G Slide as well.

I did, and I had also been checking on the T-Mobile site every few days. I just didn't happen to check it on Thursday. Did I get this important update in my email? No, I learned about it from WA :D

SW

1 person likes this.
  10. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    In a previous post I repeated what I had read, that this phone has 4GB of memory. It turns out, according to a recent HTC specs page, that it is 4GB ROM and 12 MB RAM. I'm assuming that the System and built-in apps are in ROM, user loaded apps are in RAM. This would be fine for me.

Regarding the pre-order and release date rumors: Even though Best Buy has announced an immediate pre-order and Oct 6 availability, T-Mo has not even announced the pre-order date. T-Mo store staff and tech support phone staff, that I have spoken with in the last few days, have not yet been trained on this phone. However, I'm not sure whether this means anything, since one of the tech support guys told me that "phones come out all the time that we haven't been trained on". :D

SW