Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

T-mobile to launch in central Pa

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

T-mobile is gonna launch in Central PA with the same plans that they launched with in CA. Also they will offfer the V60 as well as the v66

2. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I've heard that they will not be launching with the 1000/$39.99. Can you confirm or deny?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

is this the Pittsburgh area?

4. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    No, this is the former PCS One in Central PA - Harrisburg/York/Lancaster/Lebanon/Reading.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ohhh The Amish Country.... Hope they can convince the Amish to use a cell phone..

6. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I was up north today and rode by a Nextel/T-Mobile store. So it looks like T-Mobile will be launching soon here in Delaware too. Hopefully they will also fill in the major coverage holes here too. What's the big deal about the V66? It doesn't have an external screen which sucks on a flip phone.

7. RichXKU

RichXKU Once had +5 dBm RSSI

My Phone:
    Motorola i870
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    Actually in central PA, Voicestream/T-Mobile users are on "Conestoga", which had been bought out by T-Mobile but is only now taking effect.

Edit: Unless PCS One is a parent/associate company to Conestoga

8. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Sorry Rich, not true (but it was almost going to be true......)

Here's what I posted on another board, that hopefully will explain it:
    --------------------------------

Couple of comments on VS, D&E Communications (D&E), Conestoga Enterprises (CENI) which owns Conestoga Wireless (CW) and PCSOne (and NTelos since they are part of the story)

Background: PCSOne used to be owned 50% by D&E and 50% by VS (thru Omnipoint)

OK - last summer (2001) CENI agreed to merge with NT and in a separate but conditional agreement, agreed to sell CW to VS.

But, D&E has always wanted CENI, so in the fall D&E went after CENI and outbid NT. So, D&E and CENI are going to merge, and NT is out of it. Since the CENI/NT merger was terminated, so was the sale of CW to VS.

Part of the D&E/CENI agreement says CENI will sell off CW after the merger is complete,.

In October, D&E agreed to sell their 50% of PCSOne to VS. That went into effect on 4/1/02 - so VS owns PCSOne.

So, D&E now owns CENI. A few weeks ago (July 23rd) D&E hired a company to help them sell off Conestoga Wireless, but I've heard that VS/T-Mobile will not be the buyer anymore.....

9. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Can someone find some maps of Conestoga wireless. I am in DE, and this could affect me if I ever went to VS/TM. I know PCS one's areas which are pretty damn good considering they do alot of rural PA (which is good for me, I go up there alot). * I am going to look online for them, but just in case I posted this*

10. Guest

Guest Guest

That would be cool to see an amish yak at his cell phone while he waters the horses.

11. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

That's some good info Matt.

12. smalltalker

smalltalker New Member

I drove by the VoiceStream store in Hyannis, Massachusetts today and it's completely gutted with a "remodelling" sign in the window. A week ago I had never heard of T-Mobile, but probably by September 1 I'm going to have a T-Mobile store nearby.

13. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I don't think Conestoga has real coverage maps on their website anymore. try this one. You can zoom and roam some.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

so what's the Big Deal if the offer is the same as the Northeast and Southeast region? These 2 regions gets the least compared to the other region.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

I hooked up with Voicestream about three months ago. My phone has T - Mobile in big letters when Idle, so I would assume that T-Mobile has already infiltrated the MA area!

BTW, I live in Worc, a ways away from Hyannis.

16. RichXKU

RichXKU Once had +5 dBm RSSI

My Phone:
    Motorola i870
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    Thanks for clearing that up Matt. I didn't know the whole situation got that much more complicated since I heard about it last. Last time I went up thru central PA in early July, my friends VS phone reported "Conestoga". When is this going to change?

17. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Rich,

That won't change for the near future. The ownership of that network has not changed. D&E bought Conestoga Enterprises, parent of Conestoga Wireless, but they said they are going to keep the brand names for now. There are still two networks in Central PA - South Central PA is PCSOne/T-Mobile, and north Central PA is Conestoga.

PCS One is now T-Mobile 100% - the soft launch is today, and their website now redirects you to T-Mobile.