Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

T-Mobile to close Jacksonville, FL call center

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by JohnnyCNote, May 29, 2003.

1. JohnnyCNote

JohnnyCNote Junior Member

My neighbor who works at the TM call center in Jacksonville told me today that the center will close on or about Feb 1, 2004. Evidently there was some sort of meeting this week about it. Not sure if this really means much or not, but time will tell....

2. JohnnyCNote

It's official:

T-Mobile: Feb. 1 closing planned for call center

This is ridiculous. They were talking about moving into a new facility over a year ago, so the "short period of time" is simply not true. Also, there are plenty of suitable buildings available in Jacksonville. In fact, call centers are among the largest employers in the area, and some of those that have been closed are currently vacant and ready to be occupied. As far as parking goes, not only was there plenty of parking available at the current site, there are lots of commercial properties with spaces suffcient for hundreds of employees. It's curious, but not surprising, that TM would not be telling the whole story here, based on what I and many others saw at the call center.....

3. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Still, as much as it stinks and as much as I am sure T-Mobile is not being fully forthcoming, I give them credit for giving the employees 8 months notice. Most people that get laid off don't have that luxury (I got 2 weeks!).

4. JohnnyCNote

I'm not sure how to take that. If memory serves, there's a law that requires employees receive a specific minimum notice (4 weeks?). In my case when I was laid off from AT&T Broadband, we received 4 weeks, then were paid for several more weeks, on top of which we received a nice severance package. Actually, it wasn't bad.

However, in TM's case, and having seen how they treat their employees, it's hard to see anything favorable to the employees in their making the announcement so early. Based on their past history of offering bonuses, then finding ways not to pay them, this could be a way to get out of paying severance benefits.

For example, they have a quarterly bonus contest based on several criteria. In the last quarter I worked there, I was in the highest bracket and should have gotten a nice bonus of at least $500. But then they bring out new rules during the last few weeks and (without going into detail) the result was we were all screwed out of our bonuses. Yet, TM benefitted from the increases in new subscribers and price plan updates for existing customers. Their pretext was too many people had cancellled service, despite their bragging that they're the "fastest growing" cell phone company.

This pattern is SOP for TM: offer a bonus or other benefit, then either change the rules or bring out additional ones later on, when it's too late for anyone to do anything about it. My neighbor says the prevailing sentiment is that they'll get extra strict and find ways to terminate people at the drop of a hat in order to minimize their severance and unemployment expenditures.

There is more I could say, for example regarding their chronic, flagrant violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act, but I can't for now.....

5. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    I think my job was exempt from the minimum requirements for notice...when you work for the Feds as I did, I think they can play by their own rules...they can't be sued so what do they care anyway. lol.

I was in no way trying to defend other practices of the company, but if you know your job is gone after 8 months, might as well head on over to AOL (they haven't shut down their call center yet have they?) and try to get a job there if you want to continue on in the "same" line of work.

6. JohnnyCNote

No prob - are you from Jax, since you seem to know about AOL and have the UF gator thing? I worked with a lot of ex-AOL employees at AT&T BB. I heard some real horror stories. They were pretty good for a while, but when they went to flat rate pricing after the fiasco with all the busy signals, they turned hostile and were firing people for some of the craziest things. A good example was when they were testing their new longer screen name system. One guy chose "RonZombieisgod", and just for that was fired at the end of the day. I was offered a job there 3 different times but at that time it was north of town and I just didn't want to drive that far for so little money. Also, there was a little voice in my head telling me not to do it. I'm glad I listened.....

7. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    No, I'm not from Jax. I lived in Gainesville for 3 years, but when I watched the news I watched channel 4, so I got all the Jax stories. Gainesville's only station then was ABC (they have CBS now that ch. 4 isn't CBS anymore) and it was terrible. So I chose between Orlando NBC and Jax CBS...and I don't care about Orlando [​IMG]

AT&T BB...that's a whole story in and of itself down there...weren't they in all kinds of legal trouble?

8. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

I work for VZN landline newtwork ops. - they, the old Bell Atl. mostly, are cutting people like crazy. They are still cutting, and service has already been degraded. Anyway, the standard notice is 2 weeks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...