Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

T-Mobile - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by Bluetorch, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Bluetorch

Bluetorch New Member

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if any of you had an idea of how good T-Mobile will be in terms of reception and service. I haven't been keeping up with what's been going on, but it sounds to me like they're offering some very competitive plans at the very least.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

You mean Cingular Jr.? They're going to use ALOT of Cingular's cell sites. It would be at least 7 years before any other gsm company could touch Cingular's coverage. People complain alot about Cingular, but they dont have much choice, save go to tdma market or something. And switching to another GSM carrirer is not going to help... Especailly one that's going to rely on another...

3. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    According to what I've read, T-Mobile (alias Voicestream) has brought their own bandwidth to CA. It is true that TMob will be using Cingular's towers until they start adding their own.

Remember that the reason newcomers offer such enticements is to build up their subscriber-base AND because they know their coverage is not as expansive as the more established companies. If you've had any experience with Cingular, you know how the complaints are regarding busy signals. Proponents of TMob indicate that issue is not going to be a problem. I'm not so easily convinced.

"You get what you pay for."

4. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

Remember that T-Mobile is only using Cingular's towers in California and Nevada, not anywhere else. Voicestream has like 90% more GSM coverage than Cingular.

Also, about there being a problem with T-Mobile on Cingular's network. There isn't a problem. If you check some other online forums in addition to this one (not that many people on this forum), you will see that there are many people who have signed up with T-Mobile, and are not experiencing any of the problems that they had with Cingular.

5. kindaichi

kindaichi New Member

but then will T-mobile's reception be "better" than Cingular?

6. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

It is now, I have heard. I heard that from previous Cingular customers.

7. calbee

calbee Junior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I have not experienced a stronger signal with AT&T or VZ! I get consistantly 3-4 bars on 2 different phones.
    I've been with TM since the 15th and LOVE it (signal, clarity, customer service and their cool website with personalization).

I realize it's too soon and there are probably few subsribers on the TM bands on the (credit to) Cingluar network, but I honestly did not expect such satisfaction. Been a wireless subscriber for over 7 yrs (Cellular One=>AT&T) and VZ.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

I am a Cingular customer in the SF Bay Area and currently have their national plan w/no long distance or roaming charges. In terms of reception quality, seems I wouldn't gain anything by switching to Voicestream if the two companies are allowing use of each others networks? Is the only benefit, more minutes for less money and a different selection of phones? Is my phone going to work better as a Voicestream customer when I'm outside of Cingular's network?

9. calbee

calbee Junior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    "the two companies are allowing use of each others networks" is a true statement, however, on different bands! In other words Cingular users do not get into the TM bands and vice versa. So at the moment while the TM bands are not saturated, you will probably receive a stronger reception. Having said that, both companies are in the process of expanding cells in CA/NV.
    In reference to using the same phone on TM -chances are you can. Don't know what phone you have but best to go to the TM site (actually for this purpose go the www.voicestream.com) and see if your phone is included.

10. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Calbee,

"Different bands"?? That claim is new to me. Where did you hear that?

11. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I think "bands" means "spectrum" possibly. The two companies have pooled their specturm in the joint agreement markets, reducing the chance for overload is one area....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Guest

Guest Guest

some of you are almost right ...and some are totally wrong. t-mobile/voicestream and cingular are sharing everything in california, tmobile and cingular customers are using the same cell sites, radios, channels, time slots, freq's, spectrum, bandwith...EVERYTHING!!!!!! Most of the calls that t-mobile customers make are switched and carried by cingulars GSM infastructure. The only thing that t-mobile controls are land to mobile calls, LD calls, and some mobile to land. Every new piece of equipment that cingular will add to expand and enhance the network will be half owned by T-Mobile ( i.e $0.50 on every dollar will come from T-Mobile. If any of you understand how a GSM system works then you will understand when I say that the only piece of equipment that T-Mobile solely owns is a Gateway MSC. The thing that will make them different from Cingular will be their price plans, phones, and customer service. There is no reason for tmobile to ever build out there own network....and it will never happen. Consider this one cell site from start to finish costs anywhere from 1.25 to 1.5 million to build. A BSC is anywhere from 1-8 million and a MSC is 5-15 million. It would cost way too much and take over 10 years to do so.

Just a thought............