Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

T-Mobile SUCKS

Discussion in 'Central US Wireless Forum' started by guyfnp, May 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guyfnp

guyfnp New Member

DO NOT go with T Mobile if you are anywhere near SW Missouri as the service is terrible with dropped calls constantly. I've called T-Mobile many times and they are terrible and are pretty much like "screw you we've got you by the balls for your contract term". They offer to replace your new phone with a refurb which does a whole lot of nothing.

I can't wait to get out of T-Mobile and into a different carrier, and spread the word so no one else has such problems and pays for service they don't receive.

2. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    With wireless providers they all have weak spots, T-Mobile as a whole is not a bad provider it is just not good where you are at.
    I always recommend a 15 day trial with any provider you buy a phone with the first time to check out the network. Once you check out the network then you can decide to stay to leave within those 15 days. Sometimes within 2 years a network in your area does go sower for one reason or another. If that happens then push to have a network engineer to check the area out and if it is a dead spot you might be able to get out of your contract due to poor service.

In your area I would go with Alltel or Cingular.

3. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I was in Pittsburg, KS, Springfield, MO and Joplin, MO and I didn't have any issues with my T-Mobile service. Are you talking about Neosho or further south?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Cailiff04

Cailiff04 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I agree...T-Mobile SUCKS!! Not good here in Findlay Ohio but they have been improving!! Dont go with them!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. skyblu_82

skyblu_82 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V330
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless
    If you are in a T-Mobile service area, its a great provider that offers a better deal then the competition. And if you purchase a quality quad-band phone it has plenty of free roaming coverage on the Cingular network.

T-Mobile certainly doesn't suck, but I'm sure in a rural area like SW MO it may not have the coverage you need.

6. Shizam76

Shizam76 Shizam! Babyyyyy!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    Where at? In the midwest?

7. Hman

Hman Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V551
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular GSM, O2 GSM
    Re: T-Mobile SUCKS, RCR Wireless News April 18 2005

RCR Wireless News had an interesting article about T-Mobile in the April 18, 2005 issue.

"Can T-Mobile USA make in alone?"

Here are some highlights:

"Several industry observers have questioned the carrier's ability to remain a standalone entity in the face of increasing competitive pressure from
    much larger wireless operators. "There is no future for T-Mobile", said Iain Gillott, principal at iGillott Research."

"They (T-Mobile) just can't compete on the same scale as Cingular, Verizon, and eventually Sprint-Nextel."

"Further blighting T-Mobile USA's future is its admitted spectrum shortage, which has prevented the carrier from announcing any
    plans to launch a wide-area high speed wireless service."

"UBS recently noted that T-Mobile controlled an average of 26.5 MHz of spectrum in the nations top 100 markets, which was significantly below
    the 40 MHz controlled by Verizon and less than half the 57 MHz controlled by Cingular!"

"At the end of the day, all T-Mobile can offer is a commodity voice service."

"T-Mobile is not known for having strong network coverage, and it's already short on spectrum just serving its own customer needs."

Hman

8. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG, ZTE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    America Movil/Straight Talk

You have to understand, that the above is only the opinion of ONE PERSON.

I do not agree with the above analyst. In fact, my opinion, is that T-Mobile USA is competing very successfully, their increased customer counts and profitability both show this.

T-Mobile is not a standalone entity, they are owned by Deutsche Telekom AG of Germany.

In Deutsche Telekom's 2005 First Quarter Group Report, which can be viewed here, T-Mobile gained 1.5 million new subscribers during the first quarter. Out of this, just under 1 million were from T-Mobile USA.

9. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

Plus, the FCC is auctioning more spectrum in 2007, but it is in the 2100 band. TM is supposedly testing a GSM/WiFi phone, plus they have tested OFDM (http://www.flarion.com) in the Netherlands and in the US somewhere IIRC. Mr Gilliott basically said TM is short on spectrum. Thanks for that, captian obvious! ;)

10. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

I've been missing these kinds of posts attacking/defending one carrier. It doesn't happen too often in this forum lately.

11. Cheryl

Cheryl New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3595?
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Thanks for the opinion. I live in north-central Kansas and have the same feelings about T-Mobile. My husband and I both have phones that came with the service. We experience dropped calls from Junction City, 20 miles away, between Wamego and Manhattan, 20 mile the other side of Manhattan. Additionally, between Manhattan and Clifton, Ks including Clay Center, Ks we consistently get calls dropped. My husband travels and where ever he is in the US he can reach me, but the call is, again, consistently dropped at least once.

My question is: if we purchase better cell phones, will some of this stop? Naturally, the T-Mobile dealer assure me our drop problems will be solved with a better cell phone, i.e., more expensive, because the more expensive phones have better antennae. Is this true? Or should we switch to another service?
    Confused

#11 Cheryl, May 26, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2005
  12. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG, ZTE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    America Movil/Straight Talk

2100 MHz is UMTS. I think it's going to be a new worldwide GSM standard, but on one frequency.

13. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    coverage in the first three towns you listed is pretty good; but it's non-existent in the other areas. Check it out yourself

http://compass.t-mobile.com

This coverage site is very similar to the one on the regular T-Mobile page, but a bit better (that one is at http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage )

A better phone might help you where there is coverage, but TM doesn't cover a lot of rural areas. They might not be the provider for you.

14. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),

1.) Yes they can. Its called there parent company.

2.) They don't need to compete on that level. They are at a lower tier than the future big 3.

3.) They don't need the extra spectrum for that....yet. They are agian, on a lower tier for the moment.

4.) And for 90% of the population that is all they need.

15. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

I missed part of what that analyst said....so I'll just use Dru's numbering above.

2) They might not be as big as the big 3 in the USA, but they have plenty of economies of scale to compete on a worldwide level to get good prices on phones and network equipment. There are about 80 million users of TM worldwide.

3) TM did announce plans for 3G. They plan on a UMTS/HSDPA network in 2007, assuming they get the spectrum they need, most likely in the 2100 band mentioned above. If "wide-area" means every tower that they own, then maybe not.

16. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless

In the US it is called Advanced Wireless Services (AWS) 1700/2100 MHz.
    Auction for the licenses are to take place sometime in the summer of 2006.
    Code:
    Block	Total MHz	      Pairings	                         Geographic Area

A	        20	1710-1720 and 2110-2120 MHz	Economic Area (EA)
    B		20	1720-1730 and 2120-2130 MHz	Regional Economic Area Group (REAG)
    C		10	1730-1735 and 2130-2135 MHz	REAG
    D		10	1735-1740 and 2135-2140 MHz	Cellular Market Area (CMA)
    E		30	1740-1755 and 2140-2155 MHz	REAG

#16 agentHibby, May 27, 2005
    Last edited: May 27, 2005
  17. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I was just about to say that. Pretty much anything West of Manhappiness and you probably won't get any signal. The Samsung SGH-e315 is a pretty good phone and I get signal most places I travel around this area. But it probably has about the same RF as your Nokia. My major area of concern was east of Manhattan and the coverage along I-70 in Topeka, Lawrence and KC is great. Also, the coverage along 35 south to Pittsburg, Springfield and Joplin wasn't bad and the signal in those towns is very good. If you need coverage in Manhattan and West might I suggest either CellularONE or Alltel. Pretty soon, they will probably be the same company so for the sake of the rate plan alone, I would suggest CellularONE. Alltel has better Motorola phones but they both have pretty good phones on the whole. Just don't get the Nokia 6015 or Kyocera KX484xlc "Aktiv" if you decide to change. I would suggest the Nokia 6255i, the Samsung SCH-a670 or any of the Motorola handsets offered by either provider.

18. PTCO911

PTCO911 Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Incredible
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    How is T-Mobile in the Manhattan area? I am have been an Alltel customer for 7 years, but have become frustrated as of late with their poor customer service. They have the best coverage overall in this area and I have been satisfied with that. Lousy phone selection.

19. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    T-Mobile in the Manhattan area is pretty good. Alltel and CellularONE have better overall coverage, there are some dead spots for T-Mobile in Manhattan's outskirts but as far as in "Manhattan proper" you'll have pretty good service. I've got 3-5 bars from Ft. Riley Blvd to Tuttle Creek Blvd to Seth Childs to Kimball. Obviously in-building coverage is going to differ based on the surrounding trees/hills and what the building is made of. I've gotten clear calls in both Target, Super Wal-Mart and Dillions (both of them.) Coverage on I-70 east is pretty good. You may drop an occasional call but the interstate coverage (at least travelling east) is almost as good as Sprint's. T-Mobile's customer service is second to none. I've had nothing but friendly CSRs when I have called them. I have only delt with the kiosk twice and both times the person seemed really nice but once I just called to ask if they had a data cable in stock and once I just looked at their demo v600 so I really didn't have to deal with them that much. If you're going to sign up with T-Mobile either do it at the kiosk in the mall or over the phone at 1-800-T-MOBILE and remember you can keep your number, just let the T-Mobile rep know you want to keep it. Whatever you choose, good luck!

I have had some issues with my T-Zones not working or having calls go straight to VM and then not getting the VM for a few days but I think this was mostly when they were doing maintenence on the system, which they generally do late at night/early in the morning.

20. alwaystanning

alwaystanning New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V330
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    u

Every service has its dead spots--but I did have two positive T-mobile experiences this summer.

1) We were just north of Hayward WI on Nelson Lake and I was with my brothers and I was able to take a Sprint, Cingular, Verizon and T-mobile phones and compare reception side-by-side. The T-mobile had the best reception--I was alble to receive and make calls with no problem. Alll three of the other phones, however, even though they said they had service--I was unable to complete a call on any of them. The T-mobile was a quad phone so it was able to pick up the Dobson/Cellular One Signal, and yes, the Sprint phone had analog roaming.

2)I also spent some time in central Minnesota at the Stearns Boy Scout Camp (near South Haven, MN 55382) and the only two phones which seemed to work with any consistancywere T-mobile and Quest. Cingular, Verizon and Sprint did not work at our campsite--they had to climb up a nearby hill to get service. So T-mobile DOES NOT SUCK in Minnesota or Wisconsin.

21. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

Re: u

IF T-Mobile picked up Dobson
    Cingular will also work, they have roaming agreements w/ Dobson.

22. rbburkey

rbburkey New Member

Re: T-Mobile SUCKS in SW Michigan, Also

My service in SW Michigan is exactly the same. While I was very happy with them for a few years here, This past July a upgraded my phone and signed up for a one year plan. Immediately I started having major service problems and T-Mobile has been absolutely NO help. Caution, Stay away from T-Mobile.

23. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

Did'nt you know this on your 15 day trial period,
    where you don't have to pay ETF.
    What did you do doing the free trial period?

24. budone

budone Junior Member

My Phone:
    E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Considering the original post was in May, I will be surprised to see a response. But stranger things have happened.

I did think the same thing when this post got bumped up today.

25. Particular

Particular Banned

My Phone:
    At&t Iphone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    At&t, sprint, T-mobile
    I have a T-mobile blackberry, mainly just use it for E-mail and i have no problem. But there commericals say TALK IT UP. Well yea you can't talk it up because you can't make a phone call lol:) GO CINGULAR AND SPRINT!!!!!

26. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    yea i think my area is one of the only strong areas for TMOB users bc we had both Powertel and Voicestream here back in the day and TMOB aquired all of those tower spots and bandwidth...otherwise i hear awful things espically when you get into the country...even here, a good market for them, in the country TMOB is useless.

27. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    another old thread. If you have something new to discuss, open a new thread or reply to a more recent one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.