Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

t mobile roaming

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by ghfan90, Jul 1, 2006.

1. ghfan90

ghfan90 New Member

I am just wondering... If I call (from New York) my friend who is at the moment in Pennslyvania, will roaming charges apply? I heard that
    most T-Mobile family plans also offer Nationwide Digital Roaming which allows to make or receive calls without in expensive roaming charges anywhere in the United States as long as the caller and receiver are both on the T-Mobile National Coverage network. Can someone please explain this to me?

2. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    T-Mobile does not have roaming charges in the US. Assuming you are in the US, if you can make a call (whether you are on the TM network or not), and you are calling a number in the US, you won't be charged roaming, assuming you are on a national plan (all family plans are national).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    they only possible thing that could go against you would be if you really are roaming and half of your calls in a 3 month billing cycle or off network then t-mobile will turn off your roaming....but if the banner on your phone says tmobile then your fine

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    I've never heard of T-Mobile having a 50% roaming rule...do you have the contract clause handy that states this???

5. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    i could be mistaken....and now that i think about it tmobile would be lost if they limited their roaming because they depend on it

6. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    You could say that about every carrier depending on where you are! Most T-Mobile customers I know never roam, period. They stay close to home or along the interstates and are just fine.

7. dehaven.j

dehaven.j Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Pearl 8130
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    when we were considering tmobile we were assured by several salespeople that we could pretty much roam as much as we wanted. this is very important in the area where i live because tmobile only has coverage in half of the city that i live in, the other half they rely on 850mHz roaming on Centennial Wireless.

8. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    thank god for 850 roaming.....i know that i work in a very rural area during the summer and i roam on Immix Wireless which is a local provider and they really help and when i go places like to the beach......i would be dead without roaming......but compare T-Mobile's prepaid map to their postpaid map......the prepaid map shows the tmobile towers.....the postpaid map shows the tmobile towers and the roaming partners.......thats the problem with cingular.....they don't show roaming on the map and it doesnt show when you're roaming on your phone

9. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

Cing showed Rogers on the Phone when i was in Canada last week.

Better Check their Map again,
    you have to Click on the Map (Zoom In)
    and it will Show Partners.

http://63.241.153.180/coverageviewer/B2B.html

10. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yeah but that street level coverage map isnt published on their site and a regular consumer who doesnt give a crap about their phone as long as it works doesnt hang out in these forums so that isnt much help and i know that that map posted roaming partners anyway...the point is....their fixed graphical representation doesnt show it and that is what matters...and their phones dont say when they're roaming

11. jones

There Better than VZW Maps.

12. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    i applaud t-mobile and sprint for having street level maps with amazing, specific detail.......verizon is ok and cingular is horrible

13. jones

Where is that Great VZW and Sprint
    Street Level Map?
    Could you Give that Link?
    cAN WE rEAD THE sTREETS in their Map?
    Never Knew They Have Street Level Map,
    It's about time they Make Street Maps.

Give us the STREET LEVEL MAP LINK
    you're Talking about and we'll Believe You?

14. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The maps that VZW has published openly for regular consumers on their webiste is better than the Cingular maps. Where is the link to the Cingular street level map from their website?? A regular consumer would not know it existed.

15. jones

Prove it, let's see those better Maps,
    provide Link.

Street Level Map Link PLs,
    we want to see those street maps you're talking about.

(Street Level Means finding the Street where you are)

#15 jones, Jul 14, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  16. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    http://63.241.153.180/coverageviewer/B2B.html

but this link isn't published on the cingular webvsite yet.....thats the thing.....it still isn't completely accurate and it doesn't go into detail about which bands your using....it just says affiliae network to mark roaming....it does show where 3G is available

the only problem with this map is that its not accurate its very general

17. MeatChicken

MeatChicken Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Jones, I just took a look at the link to those CING "street level" maps, & entered a street where I was at last week, & my friends CING fone had only 1, sometimes 2 bars, outdoors, thru much of the area streets ( reference - corner Robert St & Spring vally rd, Paramus NJ). Indoors here surley would have been worthless.
    The map is a joke. The entire visible portion of the map was all colored the highest level , dark orange "Best" , rather than even portions of "good" or moderate. (If 1 or 2 bars outdoors is "best" , what the heck does good or "moderate" even mean!!).
    I have a feeling that, probably with some exeptions, you are simply zooming in on the existing "generic" county/state maps that other carriers also provide, to simply see street names. It doesn't seem to change any coverage detail, there should have been large blotches of lower service levels.
    If this is how the maps work, they simply allow you to zoom in & see street names .. big deal.
    (PS - Andy's point was that the "regular" non-street maps that a normal customer would "actually" get to see on the carrier's main website were better than Cings ...

18. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Thank you for clarifying my statement.
    I have also greatly noticed the overstating coverage on those maps. Areas with 1 or 2 bars outside where service even garbles from time to time really shouldn't be classified as "best" unless that is how good Cingular service gets. :)
    The maps may be accurate in some areas but its really not all that great in my area; T-Mobile maps are too conservative so I guess you can either get it one way or the other.

19. jones

we really want to see those VZW street Level map
    if you have them.

20. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Why don't you re-read what we stated jones. We obviously said that Verizon has no street-level map(and we know that's exactly what you want to hear) and that cingualar has one. What we said is that the maps Verizon has linked to their page:
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/CoverageLocatorController?requesttype=newsearch

are more detailed than the maps Cingular has linked to their page, at least until they link their street level map for the public offiicially. For normal shoppers, Verizon offers their maps directly from their website. The maps Cingluar has directly on their websites show whole states or the whole country. Regular consumers that don't read Hofo/WA would not know Cingular's street level map existed.

Have a great day.

21. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Fine here you go here is your VZW street map

Attached Files:

22. jones

where's #501 Victory Rd, Salt Lake City, UT
    in that Map? Can you see it?

Unless you can't see the Street Name,
    then it's Not a Street Map,
    but a State Map.

23. elmo01

elmo01 Senior Member

with any cell phone plan there are 3 major aspects to the billing

home calling area--this is the area where you can make a call from withou incurring roam charges

toll area-- the limits that you can call another number without having a toll (long distance) charge

airtime-- self explanitory

the most common misconception is the confusion over long distance and roaming....the easiest way to explain it is... roaming is where the phone is... long distance is where you are calling

here are 2 examples...

you are on a Tmobile plan... you are at home (I know for a fact that Tmobile plans are national roam and LD included) you are in NYC you call from your phone to your friend in Philly there are no roam charges and no long distance charges because you are inside your home calling area (the USA in this case) and domestic long distance is included in the airtime

the flip side...

lets say for a moment you are a former ATT custome with the America Local plan (an old local plan ATTWS used to have)... we'll change the locations a little to conceputualize... you are still in NYC... but your friend is in Chicago....you make the same call from NYC and because you are in NYC there are no extra charges...sounds the same so far...heres the difference...

lets say you hop on a plane...

you go to LA... you make the same call... from your phone... the call goes thru perfectly... but because the phone is outside the NYC home calling area you are billed .69/min Roam airtime and .20/min Roam long distance plus any applicable taxes

see the diference?

to answer your original question... the call will not be billied roaming as you are in the HCA for your rate plan

your rate plan defines how you are billed...if you dont know your rate plan you could be in store for some nasty surprises... as a customer care rep the line "no one told me" or " the guy in the store said" is working less and less

24. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    T-Mobile has not enforced a 50% rule since they introduced national plans. When VoiceStream had the North American Neighborhood plan in the conditions in the plan it stated that you had to make at least 10% of your calls from your home area. Since they introduced national plans they've never enforced a "50%" rule.

25. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yeah......like sprint........they need that roaming to survive and if they enforced a rule like that they would lose customers as "numerous as the stars" :biggrin:

26. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Just so you know I was being a smart alex and made that map myself.:loony: Thought I would try and make a funny.

27. jones

that's because Cing is still working on it,
    it's not officially released we just happen to find it
    in another Forum.

It will be in their website once it's Fine tuned.
    i noticed some changes on it like the Partner Coverage
    where it was'nt there before.

Hope VZW and Sprint makes
    street level map in the future.

28. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I agree.....all providers should invest in a map like that....if verizon spends all this money to have field testers out in the US to test dropped or failed calls they can certainly afford to make a street level coverage map