Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

T-Mobile Ringback Tones

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by MOTOhooligan, Dec 8, 2004.

1. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Cell phone users provide musical interlude for callers
    By Jefferson Graham, USA TODAY
    Cell phone ringtones — those ubiquitous, chirpy sounds — have caught on to the tune of an estimated $4 billion worldwide. Now musical ringers are moving inside your phone.
    T-Mobile on Wednesday rolls out "Caller Tunes," which plays 40-second song snippets to your caller until you answer — at $1.99 a pop. Tunes range from Beyoncé's Baby Boy to holiday classics. Verizon Wireless began testing a similar "ringback" service in two California markets last month.

They are part of a wave of new song-based ring features. Billboard now runs a chart of top-selling ringtones. Tonight, at its annual awards show, Billboard will give its first "Best Ringtone of the Year" award.

"Master tones" — ringers that play the actual song — are just taking hold in the USA and work only on the newest handsets. Michael Gallelli of T-Mobile says Caller Tunes "has the potential to become much bigger ... than ringtones."

"I can assign a different song to everyone who calls me," he says. "That's huge."

Popular ringtones can rack up sales of 200,000 units at $1.50 to $3 each, says Mark Frieser at researcher Consect, which compiles Billboard's chart. "When kids buy a ringtone, they're looking at it as a way to personalize their phone experience, to show who they are," he says.

Young people, of course, have resisted licensed online music services, preferring instead to face potential lawsuits from the recording industry and pluck songs for free from song-swap sites. "They're happy to pay for anything that will make them look that much cooler in terms of their peers," Frieser says.

Ringtone sales here are a fraction of those in Europe and Asia. Frieser expects U.S. sales of $300 million in 2004. He projects U.S. sales could grow to nearly $1 billion by 2008.

Major record labels have been mostly left out of the ringtone market; royalties go to songwriters and music publishers. But master tones and services like Caller Tunes pay money to the labels and "are a more interesting business for us," says Michael Nash at Warner Music Group.

Michael Gartenberg at market-tracker Jupiter Research thinks ringbacks could be a tough sell. "There are those who will love it, and others who find it annoying," he says.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole...

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    I was going to send an e-mail to my staff telling them that this sort of thing is not professional (a couple have mentioned it) but my VP beat me to the punch.

4. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I agree it's not aimed at that audience, but IIRC it is quite popular in TM europe.

5. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I think ringback tones are moronic... who gives a :censored: what the people who call me hear? The ringing sound has been good for several decades and I don't see a point in changing it now. I see the point in ringtones although I still think they're kind of stupid. I always swore I would never, ever download a ringtone... until I got the Samsung e315 which doesn't have any normal ringtones on it. They're all weird little songs. The best one was the T-Mobile jingle which I used until I downloaded an old-school phone ring. Ironic, people are paying to not have that sound heard by people who call them and I not only have the people I call hear that sound but I hear it too because it's my ringtone... just call me anti-ringback tone man. I'll have to get a spandex suit or something. :biggrin: