Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

SOUTH U.S. -- T-Mobile Promises To Support SunCom Customers

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by maa1775, Dec 27, 2007.

1. maa1775

maa1775 New Member

My Phone:
    TM 506
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T Mobile
    T-Mobile this week issued a letter to SunCom customers, updating them on its upcoming acquisition of the southeastern wireless carrier and outlining its plan to support the customers going forward.

T-Mobile first announced its plans in September to purchase SunCom Wireless Holdings for $2.4 billion, in hopes of increasing its network coverage in the southeastern United States and the Caribbean. Specifically, T-Mobile will gain SunCom customers in North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

SunCom has about 1.1 million subscribers and T-Mobile has about 27 million subscribers. With the acquisition, the population of potential customers in T-Mobile's service area is expected to increase from 244 million to 259 million.

In its letter issued to SunCom customers, T-Mobile's president and CEO Robert Dotson said T-Mobile is still in the process or getting all the necessary approvals to complete the acquisition. It already has been approved by investment funds Highland Capital Management and Pardus Capital Management, which together own more than 50% of SunCom's issued common stock.

T-Mobile will honor service plans of existing SunCom customers, including the SunCom UnPlan. Customers also won't have to change their phone numbers or purchase new phones since T-Mobile uses GSM/GPRS/EDGE technology like SunCom, so the phones will be compatible with T-Mobile's existing network.

CEO Dotson said in the letter that there will be other benefits for SunCom customers transitioning to T-Mobile:

For one, we will be bringing SunCom customers complete access to a coast-to-coast national wireless network. On top of this, we've committed right out of the gate to making further improvements to the SunCom wireless network in the Carolinas.

The acquisition is expected to close in the first half of next year.

FROM: T-Mobile Promises To Support SunCom Customers - Mobile Blog - InformationWeek

#1 maa1775, Dec 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2008
  2. PCSuser

PCSuser Senior Member

My Phone:
    PPC-6700 w/ WM6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS - happily holding crystal clear calls!

So should we buy a Suncom Unplan - then we might get nationwide T-Mobile coverage.

Anyone know if I should purchase the Unplan just for this reason.

Let me know!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I thought the UnPlan only had unlimited calls while within the Suncom regional area (although you can call to anywhere in the US) - once you go outside a Suncom service area, you have to pay to roam and call.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    SunCom does offer National Coverage UnPlan. But that's $149.99 per month.
    Their SunCom Network UnPlan is $59.99 with 10¢ per minute roaming.

UnPlan isn't as good as MyCircle or MyFaves :)

5. Kalimotxo

Kalimotxo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    PCSuser, you're hilarious.

Stick with SERO. It looks tempting but I promise you're probably better off staying with what you have.

6. maa1775

maa1775 New Member

My Phone:
    TM 506
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T Mobile
    To PCSuser:

While we still need to get all the necessary approvals, we thought it would be important to answer some questions about T-Mobile for current and soon-to-be SunCom customers.

Let’s talk about T-Mobile’s planned approach to serving SunCom customers. Simply put, it’s our intention to provide comparable or greater value rate plans to SunCom customers. So whether you’re a SunCom customer today, or you’re thinking about signing up for SunCom service, T-Mobile looks forward to serving you and your existing rate plan, including the SunCom UnPlan

T-Mobile, like SunCom, has a variety of plans that let customers make unlimited calls to the people who matter most to them. There’s a host of other benefits too. For one, we will be bringing SunCom customers complete access to a coast-to-coast national wireless network. On top of this, we’ve committed right out of the gate to making further improvements to the SunCom wireless network in the Carolinas. In addition, T-Mobile also has an outstanding customer service record. We’ve captured the top J.D. Power Award for Wireless Customer Care six times in a row. All this, combined with our cool lineup of phones and wireless devices, is great news for SunCom customers transitioning to T-Mobile.

We’re excited to be bringing T-Mobile service to the Carolinas. And once everything is wrapped up and we receive all the necessary approvals, we will be working around the clock to ensure that the transition for SunCom customers goes as smoothly as possible. Happily, as part of this transition, customers will not need to change their phone number or migrate to new phones or new technology to use their current service as our two companies already offer services on the same industry platforms.

No doubt there will be other questions that come up. But for now, rest assured we are doing all we can to put everything in place to bring T-Mobile’s stellar wireless services to the Carolinas as soon as we possibly can in 2008. We can’t wait to serve you!

Robert Dotson
    President and CEO
    T-Mobile USA

7. upstate31410

upstate31410 New Member

^ that still doesn't answer the initial question, in my mind. The question is: Once T-Mo takes over, will unplan users remain restricted to the EXACT footprint they're using now...or will the be able to use the "unplan" anywhere on the T-Mo network, without restriction? One of these things will happen. Which one is it?

On that note, I think that maybe some transitioning has already begun between Suncom & T-Mo? I'm noticing vastly improved response times when it comes to sending & receiving texts from people on other networks (I'm on Suncom). During the evenings, the lag time from sending a text to receiving a reply was sometime as great as 1 hour. Over the past few days, I don't seem to have that issue anymore.

8. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Old:Alltel, Nextel, At&t, USCC, Cricket)
    TMobie cannot touch the network until it is approved. It has not been approved yet. Any improvements are due to Suncom, not TMobile. As far as the Unplan, I am guessing, but I would say that you will still pay roaming when leaving the Carolinas. I highly higly doubt you will be able to have unlimited minutes nationwide on TMobiles network. Do not count on it.

9. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Right. T-Mo can't do anything until the acquisition is approved and the sale is closed. In the meantime you will still hear Suncom commercials doing business as usual.

By the way, it was funny to hear Suncom commercials in Puerto Rico. I forgot they got that network from the former AT&T Wireless, and now it's going to be T-Mobile's.

10. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    Although I am not a lawyer, I believe you should be grandfathered into the existing UnPlan which should include the then-existing footprint, unless you change plans. If T-Mobile wanted to expand that footprint, I'm sure they would notify affected customers.

11. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    That's usually how I've seen it done. If you have a plan with the old carrier and the new carrier grandfathers you in, you keep the same coverage area. I've never seen a carrier grandfather plans and then expand the coverage on them.

12. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Correct. Terms of the plan don't change, including pricing, # of minutes, geographical coverage, etc. All that changes is the name on the bill :)

13. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    With that nice T. :)

It is wonderful only having to pay one mobile bill now, each month. :D

14. upstate31410

upstate31410 New Member

Here's why I asked the question I asked earlier.

I'm in Savannah, GA, on Suncom's unplan. This is my calling area:

[​IMG]

As things stand with T-Mo now, this is their current "local" calling area, for my area: The Jacksonville Regional Rate plan:

[​IMG]

It seems to me one of these plans will not be offered to me when T-Mo takes over. Or...as T-Mo is good about offering free roaming, will Florida become part of my coverage area?

Also, when T-Mo takes over, will ALL of the Carolinas & FL become free roaming?

There's a lot of variables here, and I'd think T-Mo would want to keep things as simple as possible.

15. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The UnPlan will no longer be offered once the changeover to T-Mobile branding occurs. However, for some time after the purchase is complete, T-Mobile will still offer Suncom plans in that area. Once the branding is changed, only T-Mobile plans will be available. UnPlans will still be supported for existing customers, but you won't be able to change to one anymore.

Te UnPlan will not expand to include GA and FL. If you want that geographical area, you will have to change to the T-Mobile regional plan.

16. mamaorozco

mamaorozco New Member

I signed up with tmobile while living in FL...which means I have a 407 area code...but NOW I live in NC and I NEEDNEEDNEED a local area code for family child care that I am doing here on the military base...I was told by a Tmobile CSR that they'll be offering 910 area codes soon because of the merger between suncom and tmobile but I was wondering if anyone here knew an exact date or even a 'guestimate' date as to when the local numbers will be avaialble to me...thanks

17. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    G1v1.5, Dash, Touch Pro 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile

September 18th is a date that was mentioned to me but here's the rule when the tmobile official store opens in your area that is when a local number is available.

18. blsemp

blsemp Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 900
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    I noticed that the T Mobile signs were uncovered today in Greenville SC. at their Congaree Road location.

19. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I thought the transition was completed last Monday so all types of service, local numbers, etc. should now be available.

20. upstate31410

upstate31410 New Member

I have now found that to be incorrect.

I called T-mo customer service yesterday, and after an insanely long wait, I was informed that my plan had, in fact, changed. I was with Suncom under the unplan with unlimited text & web for 69.99, roam restrict. I was told that I could now go ANYWHERE in GA, TN, SC, NC & VA and call for free (even while roaming on AT&T towers). Same for texting. My rate stayed the same. Sounds good...right?

Well, T-Mo took away my unlimited texting & saddled me with 1000 texts. I was already 600 over my limit once the transition took place. So I had to add unlimited texting & now my bill will rise about $7 a month over Suncom.

Thanks to ungodly wait times on the phone, and finding my bill is RISING instead of staying the same, I'm really considering declaring my own personal "force majeure" & daring them to collect on a cancelled contract (which was with Suncom...at a certain level of service, NOT T-mo & my lowered level of service). We'll see.

21. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yes, I have heard that they are changing the plans of at least some Suncom customers. This is a first for T-Mobile to my recollection.

I think the wait times are due to T-Mobile routing Suncom customers to the existing Suncom call centers, meaning for the most part the other T-Mobile reps are not deadling with Suncom customers becuase they aren't familiar with Suncom's plans, etc.

So did you get a larger calling area for the same base rate, but have to spend more for unlimited text?

22. upstate31410

upstate31410 New Member

The calling area increased, but to maintain the same level for texting, i'm going to experience what amounts to a 10% increase in my bill!

23. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I'd still take T-Mobile's plans over SunCom's plans,
    but in Savannah & Augusta, residents have had a choice of both for quite some time,
    so whats going on with the SunCom and T-Mobile overlap areas in Georgia?

If I was in your situation,
    I'd start fresh with a T-Mobile National plan instead of upping my current bill 10 % ;)
    At least you'd get the My Faves deal as well.

IMO, SunCom's plans really weren't worth the price or coverage, even the UnPlan.

Because UnPlan was $60, but only if you stay around the Carolinas.
    And the unilited Nationwide UnPlan was $149, almost 3x as much!

My Alltel plan is based at $60 + taxes & fees & and added line, (totaling $82/mo),
    plus I get nationwide coverage & 11 My Circle numbers.

24. ninjafly

ninjafly New Member

If I might speak to my current experience in being transferred in to T-Mobile.
    Several calls to customer service with a variety of answers

- I have yet to see a bill and no one can tell me exactly what I am being charged
    - I had Suncom mobile to anyone which allows free calls to 10 numbers. T-Mobile said they were keeping the Suncom plans then proceeded to tell me I had to go to MYFaves (5 numbers not 10). I am not sure of their definition of not changing.
    - I had automatic monthly billing under Suncom which T-Mobile confirmed was moved over. They have yet to charge me for the last Suncom bill even though my credit card is on file. I am almost 13 days overdue and I did not want to manual pay because I was afraid the system would charge me a second time later.
    - I have been told I may owe a late charge since they neglected to actually collect the payment even though I have three calls in to them asking why the payment had not been charged. (I am now 13 days late)
    - I was told that my card would not be charged until my 5 days before the new bill. A different agent told me that I my card would not be charged until after the new bill is generated, then she apologized that they should have generated it last week and have not, but I may still be charged a late. She indicated that they had a lot going on with the transition and would appreciate my patience. I indicated that charging customers because you can't bill correctly is not a good way to start a relationship.
    - Most of the features that should be on the online account do not work for me. I can not even see what plan they have me on, check balance using the text messaging along with some other things.

I guess it is time to take advantage of the change in contract terms to look for a new carrier.

25. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Come to Alltel and get 10 free to anyone numbers. The coverage blows away TMo as well. Alltel does not charge extra for M2M and nights and weeends either, like Suncom did. And you don't lose your M2M when you get your 10 free to anyone numbers. With TMo you have to pay extra for M2M on My Fav plans. I never understood that. Where do you live in SC?

26. ninjafly

ninjafly New Member

I live in Simpsonville. I tried Alltel about a year back and the customer service was not good. Honestly, I have come to realize that customer service across every industry is subpar so I can no longer use that as a factor of differentiation. I will take a look at them again. Thank you

27. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):

Alltel is definitely a great choice in the Upstate.
    I'm not too far from Simpsonville, I'm in Gaffney, and I spend alot of time in Spartanburg area.

Alltel is my #1 choice for coverage & customer service in general.
    But if not Alltel, then Verizon would be my next choice for their overall coverage & customer service.

28. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    You may have had a bad experience, but mine has been very good. I have one or two bad reps but most of them have been great. Suncom's cs was in the toilet and everyone knew it. Alltel's customer service may not be as good as Verizon, but they beat Suncom, Cricket, At&t and Sprint by miles.

29. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I don't usually recommend Alltel, yeah they have good rate plans but their customer service has limited hours and it's not that great. Another thing I've noticed as well is that Alltel stores are always packed and the reps are never that friendly or helpful.

Since you had problems with SunCom/T-Mobile, I'd recommend that you check out Verizon and Sprint.

30. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint? :loony:Are you serious? They have the worst cs ratings in the industry and a soso network and crappy plans.

Alltel... are you calling customer service a 2 am? Do you complain that Wal-Mart is closed on Christmas too? I have never called alltel to have them be closed. As far as lines at the store, I have never had a problem..I went into a store today and it was busy, but that is because alltel is amazingly popular here...but i was greeted immediately and seen in 10 minutes, the staff was very friendly (Columbia, SC) ...besides, most people only have to go to the store once a year.

Alltel will be Verizon in a few months. Why not lock in a reasonable rate plan now...and enjoy Verizon's customer service in a few months. Alltel had poor cs many years ago but has improved by leaps and bounds.