Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

T-Mobile project- Sandy cell tower proposal stirs fears of health threat to children

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by Andy, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    T-Mobile project
    Sandy cell tower proposal stirs fears of health threat to children
    By Roxana Orellana
    The Salt Lake Tribune
    Article Last Updated: 10/22/2007 07:32:45 AM MDT

Click photo to enlarge
    Hayden Peak Elementary has a cell phone tower located on its... (Leah Hogsten/The Salt Lake Tribune)

A company's request to lease space for a cell phone tower base atop Albion Middle School in Sandy is getting bad reception from some residents concerned about potential health risks for children.
    School officials emphasize a decision has not yet been made.
    But opponent Rich Miranda fears they'll approve the plan as a money-making venture.
    Sure, cell phone towers on schools provide income, but "we saw what happened to kids when they started putting vending machines [in] as a way to raise money," he said. "The technical term is an epidemic of obesity."
    The controversy began when T-Mobile proposed placing a 10- to 12-foot "wireless base" on the roof of Albion, 2755 E. Newcastle Drive. The company would rent the space from the school for an estimated $13,000 annually and would maintain the equipment for the life of the contract.
    Placement of cell phone towers and other equipment in schools is nothing new. Jordan School District first agreed to lease space at a school to a wireless provider in 1997. Now there are 41 such leases in the district. Funds collected from such leases stay in the schools. Jordan Superintendent Barry Newbold said school board members familiarized themselves with issues related to cell towers when wireless companies first approached the district.
    The board found no definitive information about the cell towers' potential effects on students, so members decided to leave it up to each school's community council to recommend whether to accept a tower. The school board does have the final say, however.
    Newbold has heard complaints about the Albion proposal but emphasized a decision has not yet been made. "Under no circumstances would the [Jordan School] Board do something that jeopardizes the health of students," he said.
    Scott Dubuke, development manager for Salt Lake City T-Mobile said his company chose Albion because the school is in a mostly residential area and offered the best vertical location to get the signals above trees and other sources of interference.
    T-Mobile initially approached Sandy with a proposal to place a 60-foot tower east of the school, but that plan was rejected, so it proposed the smaller box-like version for Albion's rooftop.
    Dubuke, citing studies by the Federal Communications Commission and the American Cancer Society, said wireless antennas present no public health risks.
    "It's important that folks are informed. However, I also believe we need to take into account the information that is represented - information that has been accepted by governing bodies far greater than me, whose job is to ensure the safety of our citizens."
    Opponents of the wireless equipment see things differently.
    Alan Sterneckert, who lives near Albion, cited a 2004 study done in Queens, N.Y., that he says found FCC guidelines were inadequate and opposed any new installation of cellular base stations. In addition, the Los Angeles Unified School District banned any placement of the equipment on school property until more information from experts is available, he said.
    Because no significant studies indicate cell phone towers are safe, opponents say school and district officials should not take the risk of installing them.
    "We should err on the side of caution [instead of letting] income override caution," Sterneckert said.
    Scott Cowan, whose daughter will attend Albion, also opposes the plan.
    "The bottom line is, why risk our children? Why in the world, if there is a little bit of doubt, do that?" Cowan asked. "To me that is irresponsible."
    Albion Principal Larry Odom said the matter will go before the community council, an elected group of parents. It will decide whether the proposal should be recommended for approval.
    Odom said the council had an open meeting where parents and patrons were allowed to express their concerns.
    "It's like anything else in life . . . you can find both sides to everything," Odom said.
    The matter will be considered carefully and "we will make our decision based on the facts as we understand them," he said.

Salt Lake Tribune - Sandy cell tower proposal stirs fears of health threat to children

2. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Re: T-Mobile project- Sandy cell tower proposal stirs fears of health threat to child

This is about 5 minutes from where I used to live and my little sister used to attend this school.

3. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Re: T-Mobile project- Sandy cell tower proposal stirs fears of health threat to child

Well andy when you go to school tommorow you can have service.

4. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):

Funny............:D

5. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):

Here is their coverage map for the school and surrounding area.

Attached Files:

6. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T

Well I guess they had a reason to so this then

7. NokiaKrazy

NokiaKrazy 2010. I'm still around

My Phone:
    Blackberry
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel

[QUOTE="we saw what happened to kids when they started putting vending machines [in] as a way to raise money," he said. "The technical term is an epidemic of obesity."
    [/QUOTE]

Is this tower going to cause obesity now?

8. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):

LOL, that is exactly what I was thinking. I was wondering what a cell phone tower has to do with school vending machines put in the school....Idiots.

9. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):

Mediacenter - ABC4.com

Video talking about the proposed antenna. Brighton High School, as shown in this video, has AT&T, NEXTEL and Verizon Wireless panels on the building, this location covered my old house.

10. NokiaKrazy

My Phone:
    Blackberry
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel

Lead that may contain toys from China, Asbestos, 2nd hand smoke, poor diet, contaminated water and many other things are being labeled as a health risk to Americans.

I've never thought that a cell phone antenna on top of a school as being one of them. As the news report says, The District has been renting out space to cell towers for 10 years. Have there been any adverse health problems reported? I don't imagine so.

This is alot of $$$ for the school. As most Utahns know, schools can always use that extra money.

It is a win win situation.

11. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):

You are right- it is a win-win situation for everyone. Not only are school kids guaranteed to have service even in the deep center of the school :browani: but also does the school get a lot of $$$ each month. Take Brighton High School, the school shown in the video, has 3 carriers on it...That's a ton of money they are getting each month. The funny thing is that the reporter even admitted not even knowing what cell phone panels/towers look like, and the funny thing is that people don't complain about being adversely effected by a cell tower unless they are made aware that it's there. RadioRaiders posted an article a few months ago about a town in Switzerland that was complaining about headaches...you name it after Swisscom Mobile installed the first cell site in town...well it turns out the cell site has not even been turned on yet. :D

12. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T

Wow those people that havea big problem need to look around in their homes there are many more things that are harmful if you ask me.

13. NokiaKrazy

My Phone:
    Blackberry
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel

There are many schools with towers on them.

Now, think of hospitals. Alot of hospitals across the country have space leased out to cell companys.

I can't imagine a hospital wanting to put something on the roof that is going to hurt the patients inside. If it don't hurt the hospital, how is it going to hurt the school?

14. Fred333

Fred333 Junior Member

My Phone:
    I would love an iPhone!
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

I heard a couple years ago that a service carrier wanted to put towers on top of churchs. I think to use the cross on the steple as the tower.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):

Two major hospitals in my area have had cell antennas on them for years...St. Marks Hospital (NEXTEL) and University Hospital (Sprint). People's train of thought it weird- if they wouldn't know the tower was being installed they would not say or even notice anything, nor know what the new addition to the building was.

16. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T

Andy any pics of this yet?

17. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):

Not yet Ryan. There is nothing up on the building yet, but I'd be more than happy to take a pics of the building and surrounding area.

18. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T

Yeah if you can get before and after pics

19. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):

Good idea- I'll swing by the school next time I'm in the area. I'll take a real camera since you're not satisfied with my JUKE pics lol.

20. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T

It is ok well no no its not.