Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

T-mobile Prepaid -which phone is the best

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by angelais, Aug 3, 2006.

1. angelais

angelais New Member

In September (after my two year agreement with verizon ends) I will be switching to T-mobile prepaid. I have it narrowed down to two phones, either the Nokia 6101 or the Samsung T-319.

I would like any input on the pros and cons of these phones. I have a samsung right now, but the front display is hard to see, and I think Nokia's front displays are brighter but am not sure.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Cailiff04

Cailiff04 Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I have tho Nolia 6101 GREAT phone!! I love it. I've heard alot about the Samsung phones..they're Junk if you ask me. I had one before on my VZW plan had it 2 days and took it back it was junk.....anyway some pros of the Nokia is batter strength is pretty good on it. I've had mine over a week and I've only charged it 1 time. another would be it's small and lightweight i pretty good phone if you ask me..as for caons..cant really give you any right now..the phone is working fine for me..so go with nokia..it's a better phone..hope this helps..any other questions..pm me or reply to the thread!! I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have about the Nokia6101

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Cailiff04

Cailiff04 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T

why going prepaid? have you considered another 2-year agreement with VZW?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yeah and the coverage with tmobile on their prepaid plan really isn't that good........you don't start seeing the benefits of tmobiles network unless you sign up for a rate plan

5. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    They did, I believe, pick up more area to use with prepaid. In the past...I got no coverage over towards the beach and now I am....

I think you also have to have a phone that is capable of the 850mhz to roam on Cingular's towers.

6. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    well they probably just added a tower but no matter what your handset capability it wont work on any other band than the native 1900 T-Mobile network.....no 1900 roaming let alone 850 roaming

7. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    At this time officially there is no prepaid roaming using 850 roaming.

8. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    There is a small bit of 1900 roaming.

9. ace587

ace587 New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6620
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, Tmobile
    850 Mhz roaming already begun, but in only certain areas

10. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    at this time there is no 1900 or 850 roaming on any prepaid handsets....they may be capable but roaming is not included in the prepaid service

they never have had any roaming on prepaid service.....maybe they'll add it in the future though.......that was the only thing that was keeping me from getting them when i was switching carriers just a month or two ago

11. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    There is roaming on their prepaid service (T-Mobile To Go), but it is limited and is only available in certain areas. Here in New England, the only area that I am currently aware of that has roaming on T-Mobile To Go is in Bangor, Maine. It's 1900 MHz roaming according to the Bangor prepaid coverage map.

In response to the first message in this thread, I have used Nokia phones exclusively on T-Mobile (3595/6010/6101) and found all of them to work great. I currently have a Nokia 6101 flip phone with camera (on postpaid).

12. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    then why does it say on the site and the ToGo brochures that T-Mobile ToGo phones don't support any roaming

13. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
  14. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    whoops my bad

15. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I beg to differ. There is a limited amount of roaming with T-Mobile To Go and in actual fact it even mentions this on T-Mobile's web pages! I've seen it for myself that this does exist.

16. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Irregardless of the yes it does ..no it doesn't have roaming....

I actually have Tmobile prepaid! If anyone else has it then you would know that coverage has gotten better over the last couple of months.
    I"M picking up more towers and getting coverage where I never did before! When I went in to the store to get my Motorola they told me that coverage had gotten better...the brochures are not up to speed. So unless they are outright lying to me........ YOU can roam on T-mobile prepaid.

angelais---- I used to have Verizon for 8 years. I switched to prepaid after I ported my cell phone to VOIP for at home. But since I still wanted a phone to have with me I went with T-mo prepaid. Verizon's prepaid was ridiculous. It was so expensive like 30 dollars a month I could've just kept my post paid plan at 39.99. But considering I was wanting something more worthwhile...the T-mobile program was too good to pass up. I'm a gold rewards member now so I get more minutes for my money..and they just recently added it so that we can download games as well. Of course I don't get coverage in really rural areas like verizon, but even though I had reception with verizon..it wouldn't hold a call. In my home I couldn't hold a signal worth crap with verizon (you can search for my previous posts to see what crap I had to go though)
    I have not had any problems whatsoever with T-mobile prepaid. It's so nice when my friends and relatives that come over who have verizon are sitting in my house with 1 bar to no reception and I have full reception on my rinky dinky prepaid plan! ha ha ha.
    Good luck with whatever you choose. KJO

17. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    well i was going off of the brochures Telekom so i wasn't up to speed on the prepaid coverage however as kjo was saying....the native coverage is really improving......T-Mobile added more towers than cingular last year and this year i think....somebody help me with my statistics :lmao:

18. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Well, consider that for just about any company the brochures are likely dated the day they come out. Things change relatively fast in the business so it's not suprising that the information in a brochure might not be the latest information.

19. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    well said.....i do concur......thats why the internet is so reliable because it can be updated quickly......in print literature can't....it can be updated but the complications of cost and distribution are what limit it

20. jackiem

jackiem New Member

Hi. I just read your message about the Nokia 6101 phone. I bought one for use with T-Mobile prepaid. I'm having a problem with the volume--I can't hear the person(s) I am trying to speak with! Have tried to use the little volume adjustment button on the phone, but it usually doesn't make much difference and it is very distracting. Also, it isn't a permanent solution--i.e. volume reverts back to low level for the next call. Have you had similar problems? Any suggestions/solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

21. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I've never heard of that before...interesting. I'm not aware of any master thing that resets itself with Nokia's. In the settings under sound...perhaps you have it set on automatic ear levels? I know that my phone has that too and I have it shut off. In loud enviroments it'll increase the volume, but in the low or quiet enviroments in self adjusts. Perhaps that is turned on. If you can't find it...I know that the T-mobile store has always been extremely helpful with any questions I've ever had..... just take it in. If it really doesn't quit..I would say you have a defective phone and should use the warranty.
    Hope that helps! :)

22. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    I've never had a single issue with my Nokia 6101.

You may have a defective phone and should get it replaced under the warranty.