Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

T-Mobile Phone with Cellular One Service?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by tru3, Jan 28, 2005.

1. tru3

tru3 New Member

hey there,

i wanna start off first by saying this is a realy cool site...very informative..

but yeah, the reason I'm posting is because my girlfriend has Cellular One and a Nokia 6010 in PA....but she wants to have a flip phone now, more specifically she wants a Moto V300 or V551..unfortunately those phones are only sold through t-mobile.

so i was wonderin, since the t-mobile phones and her Nokia uses a SIM card...is it possible to juss buy a t-mobile fone, put in the CellOne SIM card and everything work fine?

I tried to search on the forums for soemthing like this without luck

so if anyone has any kind of input, i would really appreciate it...

thanks in advance

2. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Phones are generally locked to the provider you buy them from, so they won't accept a SIM card from another company. However, T-Mobile will unlock phones for their customers after 90 days, but that doesn't help your girlfriend. Cingular might sell unlocked phones, I am not sure...but you have to sign a Cingular contract. Hopefully a Cingular user will follow up.

You can buy unlocked phones from reputable companies on the Internet, but they can be expensive.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. svanwormer

svanwormer Junior Member

My Phone:
    V3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    The T-Mo phone would need to be unlocked to use the Cellular One SIM in it. Also, T-Mo disables the 850 band on some of their phones, but I am not sure of the V300 or V551. Cellular One offers the V400 & V600. Doesn't she want either of those?

4. azcellphonejunkie

azcellphonejunkie The Cell Phone Junkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT, Verizon, Sprint |Prior: Alltel, Nextel
    Some Quad-Band phones that Cingular sells like the V3 Razr were/are sold unlocked. The price of the phone is expensive though without a contract ($500+).

My recommendation would be the same. Figure out what phone she really has her heart set on, then start looking through ebay for them that are already unlocked. Keep in mind that with Cell One, you want to get a phone that is 850/1900 GSM. svanwormer is right that many of T-Mobiles phones are not sold with the 850 band on them. Keep this in mind when searching.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. tru3

tru3 New Member

dammit...i was hopin it would work..

i needa convince her to get the v400 or 600....she's a tough one to crack lol!

thanks for the replies tho

6. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    You could also look for an Unlocked phone on Ebay.

7. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    LOL...Fire, you must have missed some of the above posts. 2 of us already recommended that :D

8. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yeah I did, sorry about that guess too much going on and I didn't catch that when i read them.

9. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    You can always buy them directly from Motorola. Here's a link to the V551 for just $209. I think that's a good price. It is direct from Moto and you don't need to sign a contract:
    http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bi...r=262367&prmenbr=126&phone_cgrfnbr=1&zipcode=

The V400 is $289. Don't ask me why, but I think the V400 should be a lot cheaper than the V551 considering the features and the release age. That one makes no sense to me.

But be careful with the V300. The T-Mobile version doesn't have 850Mhz which you will need.

10. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    This would come unlocked too right? I would guess so since they are from the manufacturer and there is no provider to lock them to...

11. GqGuy

GqGuy New Member

She can go on Ebay and find a lot of brand new unlocked phones that will take SIM cards.

12. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    You have to be careful with this, Moto is giving the price with the phone Locked to your service provider, since you have to choose the service provider on there site.

Click on the "how to get service link" on the v551 page. It's a javascript link so it won't do me any good to paste it here, but the link is on this page: http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bi...r=262367&prmenbr=126&phone_cgrfnbr=1&zipcode=

It states that

"Phone only - The new phone you purchase will be delivered unactivated and locked to the carrier specified. You may then take the phone to the same service provider and have them activate it. .

Advantage: Purchasing a phone but keeping your existing service plan is more costly, but you don’t have to start a new service plan, or extend your current plan."

I believe that "the carrier specified" is Cingular, because the title of the page is "V551 for Cingular Wireless."

13. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Fire:
    Thanks for checking into that. Otherwise you might have had someone do it and get the phone locked to Cingular when they really wanted to use it for T-Mobile~!