Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

T-Mobile no service Hopewell to Lambertville NJ

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Fullstrength, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Fullstrength

Fullstrength Junior Member

Okay,
    I got a voicestream/Tmobile phone to try out, Pre-paid. I really didnt believe that there were that big dead spots. But to my surprise there are very huge ones. I think for cingular/Tmobile really needs to sign a roam agreement with ATT, or i will never go GSM.

2. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    At&t's GSM is much worse then t-mobile so I dont think that a roaming agreement would benefit t-mobile customers

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Are you talking about the area along US 202? I drive through there from time to time and never noticed any holes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Fullstrength

I am refering to 518, even when i come into lambertville i had 1 bar, then once i got to the bridge i had 5, the rest of the way on 202. Once i passed rt 31 there was nothing till i got to lambertville.

5. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Hmm...don't think I've ever been on 518...only 202, 31, 206 in that part of NJ....sorry

6. jason

jason Member

You're going to get trouble from any of the pcs carriers on that route. See, Hopewell is in extreme northern Mercer County, and Lambertville is in extreme southern Hunterdon County. The reason this is important is that Mercer County is part of the Philadelphia Market, and Hunterdon is part of the NYC market. The pcs carriers use different blocks of spectrum in each of these markets, and there is a reasonable attempt on the part of the carriers not to blast their signal into another market in which they are not licensed. (the FCC doesn't like this when carriers don't play nice - IIRC they intervened when a carrier in southern Louisiana was blowing their signal out to sea to capture some of the offshore oil rigs. This was bad because Gulf of Mexico is actually a separate cellular market - covered by different carriers who only serve oil rigs and boats in the area).

If I recall correctly, ATT and Verizon have a site which is right at the county border (Runyon Church Rd.) but I don't know how their coverage is in Hopewell. Voicestream has a site east of Lambertville south of US-202, at the gas pipeline, and a couple of sites in New Hope also serve the Lambertville downtown area. I like voicestream, but if this is the route you'll be travelling every day, they're not the carrier for you. BTW, on the t-mobile coverage map, they have a dead spot listed over the area you're talking about. I've driven that road several times, and agree with your observations. VS does have sites in Pennington, and one (I think in Hopewell).

jason

7. Fullstrength

Where did you find such a detailed map? I went to the t-mobile site and it seemed i could only find the huge nationwide map. If you could post the addy, i would be thankful.

Btw, I am currently a cingular customer, and my phone forever goes between att/cingular on 518 in that section.

Thanks for all your responses.

8. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole...

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    Jason,

Excellent explanation. The same thing happens with AT&T. For some reason, Union County is considered NY market and Middlesex County is not (or such was the case 2 years ago), and thus if you had an AT&T phone in Avenel, which is right on the Middlesex side of the border, you got AT&T signal, but if you were the next town south, Woodbridge, you didn't.

I assume they've fixed that, because it's so thickly settled there. Hopewell and Lambertville, OTOH, are, well, not.

9. jason

jason Member

Well, I don't have access to any maps, but I have found most of the gsm towers in that area using my phone. (I live in Bucks County across the river). If you are interested in how I did this, look up "netmonitor" or "field test mode" on any of the cell phone newsgroups. You will find many posts from me and others on this.

ZaphodB - I agree with you on MIddlesex County. I am also an ATT TDMA customer, and until recently, I would see this network switching a bunch there - recently though, att put up a bunch of tdma towers using their e block pcs license. They also have done this in Sussex county, where the cellular license is held by the (in my view) backward Sussex Cellular. Althhough I haven't been in either of these counties since the gsm rollout started, I imagine they are colocating with tdma sites there.

good luck,

jason

10. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Since AT&T and Cingular use the same cellular 800Mhz block for the NYC and Philly market they overlap in many areas. Also, since they have roaming agreements, coverage is seamless along the border of the markets. In markets where they use different cellular or PCS blocks there's a small gap on the border of the markets. Also, there's a delay while the phone locates the new PCS or celullar block where it should find its carrier when you are traveling between markets, so in some cases you may think there's a gap when there isn't because the phone loses contact for a few seconds while it locates the new frequency block.
    Now, for Sussex Co., AT&T has very spotty coverage there. I've seen them in the PCS E block. Sussex cellular doesn't have agreements with any of the major carriers so it is tough to get good service unless you live near of the few and far in between towers.

11. Fullstrength

I think everyone on this site, should buy sussex cellular, and make it a GSM/TDMA network.

bobolito, I have noticed that too, i could be in a call on 518 on a cingular phone and every few seconds i can hear the phone handoff(granted i am travel at 50-70mph), but the call quality is acceptable.