Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

T-Mobile Messaging Cost Increase 8/29/08

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by MOTOhooligan, Jul 7, 2008.

1. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    In keeping with the other major wireless companies, T-Mobile will be raising their per-message rate to $0.20/msg.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Like, OMG! Can I use that to get out of my contract ETF free? :rolleyes:

I just wanted to be the first to post that... :D

But really, why don't the carriers just grandfather in the text messaging rates? Then we wouldn't have to hear all about who canceled and who couldn't.

3. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Money.

How many customers have service with T-Mobile and how many are either affected by this or care? I don't care because I already have an unlimited package, so it's no biggie to me, most people probably feel the same way so the extra $0.05/msg they're getting, spread out over how every many messages they charge it for is more than the cost of whatever people are getting out of their ETFs.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    G1v1.5, Dash, Touch Pro 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    I am already tired of those customers and there are always going to be the ones that use every loophole they can to get out of their committment. Won't tell you why they really want to cancel, or are dumb enough to think that I don't know the 3g iphone comes out this week so that is why they are trying to get out of their contract with tmobile...I average about 60 calls per day and for about the last week a third of them at least are about this.

5. Barciurek

Barciurek Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    lol.
    I remember once ERA (T-Mobile Poland de facto as they DT owns 97% of Era.. rebranding soon) had some problems with their contracts.. they added something insignificant to their terms of service.. and Polish Office of Telecommunication informed their customers that they can get out of their contracts... ERA lost about a million customers that way.. and they have 10 million.. that's pretty big loss in a 40 million country.

6. bluebird

bluebird New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung E250
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, formerly Alltel
    Hi ya'll - I've been lurking for a while, and a happy Tmo customer since 2003 - BUT I had to say:

I do not text. Period. I don't need it and I don't want to pay for it.

I want to not have text in my plan. No text, no fees, nothing. I know I can tun off the email address for text, but I get "wrong number" text from boneheads in town all the time. I will have to start complaining about each one, I guess. I heard than in Mexico and in Europe, they have a more sensible approach - you only pay to send text. If costs more than here, but that seems fairer to me.

Anyway thanks for letting me vent!

7. scotsboyuk

scotsboyuk Senior Member

My Phone:
    N95
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Orange, T-Mobile
    That's true, but most tariffs include a bundle of texts so you are effectively paying for texts whether you use them or not. Some tariffs don't give you a set allowance of either minutes or texts though, ironically T-Mobile UK does this. You pay a fee each month and they give you a monetary allowance to spend on whatever you like e.g. £35/month gets you £180/month to spend on any combination of calls, texts, etc (not data).

8. bluebird

bluebird New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung E250
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Wow, that would suit me fine! Some months I barely use the phone for calls, and if I could use some of that to offset the odd text spam my bill would not go up as a result. I notice some pre-paid plans have a similar approach to this, you have a balance and then your calls and texts drain it. But I don't want to go pre-paid, it is a costlier approach. (Yeah, I'm cheap!)

9. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile

Not to worry valued customer by the end of July before the new rates go into effect tmobile will begin offerring the option to block all chargeable sms/mms/email/im so there is no need for people who don't want the feature or the charge to worry. Tmobile has your back.

10. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    A few things I wish would happen to text messaging:
    Option to deduct a minute from your plan for each message
    Option to block all messages
    Option to reject a text message the same as not answering a phone call
    Option to create a white list of acceptable numbers to receive texts from

Until one of those happens, the text messaging world is just messy.

11. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG, ZTE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    America Movil/Straight Talk
    Just like on the other site, no one can point to a page on T-Mobile's own web site where it has that information on a price increase... :rolleyes:

This page
    states it is 15 cents to send and receive. Nothing about a forthcoming increase.

12. EdwardP

My Phone:
    LG, ZTE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I am in the belief that someone CANNOT cancel their service, simply based on a SMS price increase during the duration of their contract.

When I converted to T-Mobile postpay (January 1995), I agreed to a rate plan, I did not agree to use or not use the SMS service. My contract at the time indicated I could change to a different rate plan, which I did, without penalty or an extension of the contract.

My contract ended January 2006, have been off-contract with T-Mobile since then and remain very happy with the service. :)

13. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile

Technically you're right, it does state in our terms and conditions that we reserve the right to increase prices at any time but as a courtesy we give customers the option to opt out of their contracts if they meet certain criteria, however I will not divulge that criteria but it is an option for SOME Customers. It's too fun telling people they don't qualify to make it easier for them to read my post and use it to exploit a loophole. :evillaugh This thing doesn't matter for customers like you (good customers), but there are those customers that use anything they can to get what they think is an advantage over the company, then they get what they want and move to a more expensive carrier that charges the same thing so they don't really gain anything, and they will be back because these are the people that play the cell phone circuit, oh well usually those types that make you the most money anyway because they are irresponsible and go over their minutes and pay way more than they have to if they just changed their plan or added a feature.

14. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    Our new format will be kind of similar to this, you will have the option to block all SMS, and still receive MMS and IM, or block what you want and receive what you want basically. If you choose to block SMS you will not receive any sms unless it is a free one from tmobile, if you block email you can still receive email on the sidekick or BB plans, FYI if you have a win mobile device and are paying for internet service your email is already unlimited so not to worry. but it is going to give people a choice in the messaging that they want and I am looking forward to it, I believe it is out by the 21st, but don't quote me on that.

15. EdwardP

My Phone:
    LG, ZTE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    How does voicemail notification play into this? My understanding is that the displaying of the tape icon is actually a specially-formatted SMS message that is sent to the phone. Or at least, it used to be this way...

16. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    Not affected as this is not a charged sms.

17. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    There is a webpage that states this information but you have to log into T-Mobile.com to view it and, therefore, I could not post a link.

I received a bill insert with the same information from the webpage with my T-Mobile bill this month, so most people should be aware after they receive their July/August invoices.

18. bluebird

bluebird New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung E250
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Praise be! I think this will turn out to be a smart move. There's not a lot of talk about it much anymore, but my thought is that Baby Boomers are not big texters. If the Jitterbug people can afford to pay for National TV advertising, there has to be money to be made from this crowd. I've heard that the issue is they have no idea how to read or delete the message. Who's heard this one: "Here kid, can you get this stupid envelope off my screen for me?"

I'm afraid the main focus of the T-Mo marketing machine is the young set, though. Hipness, rap ring tones, etc. If they want to compete more effectively with the big networks, they have to appeal more to folks with money - people with high paying jobs and business accounts. I'd have to think that these kind of accounts tend to be better at paying their bills, that has to be good business.

19. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    this is a real clincher cuz on AT&T i know when you turn off messaging you dont even get those free system messages either

from the looks of it T-Mobile isnt turning off SMS but they are blocking anything that comes from outside their systems

20. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    actually we are blocking anything that would bill you for the service so if it anything that would cost you money we will block it if you add the feature. So let's say you have our 1000 sms/mms bundle for 9.99, you send and receive a combo of 1001 that one message will not be sent to you or from you as that would incurr overage at the rate of .15 now and as of 08/29, .20 so now if your kid leaves his IM logged in no surprise bills as long as you set up the feature.

21. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    but of course you could set it up so that overage would be permissible......correct???

22. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 25 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I like this idea. I'm glad T-Mobile set it up that way. Though it doesn't affect me at all, it's good to know if I needed this feature, it's available.

23. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    moreso though that this shows T-Mobile is caring about the customers and not their own wallets

24. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    If you like this feature you're all going to love what's coming on July 30th, I can't say as I would be violating my privacy agreement and nondisclosure agreement as an employee but this is going to blow away the competitors and is the best for FAMILIES with tmobile service Stay Tuned...

Also to answer your question from above yes you can choose to have overge messages delivered for the standard sms rate above your plan.

25. EdwardP

My Phone:
    LG, ZTE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    So, you think you can get out of your contract without paying the ETF, because of a message rate increase?

Guess again!

26. clock3687

clock3687 Cell Signal?????? Use it!

My Phone:
    Google Nexus S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Tmobileman, are you talking about the minute restrictions for family lines? Let's say you have 3 lines on a family plan 1 parent 2 kids. Kid 1 does something wrong, gets grounded. Parent can either log onto my.t-mobile.com or t-mobileweb and actually limit the amount of minutes that kid 1 can use for the month, be it 1 or 200. I don't think M2M is affected since they would not be able to reach parents in case of emergencies, etc.

T-MoNews

27. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I got an insert with my bill as well, as far the increase goes, i'm happy with T-Mobile, no need to go to another carrier for that reason alone.

1 person likes this.
  28. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    Yeah it is an awesome service for families