Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

T-Mobile Merger

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by JohnnyCNote, Oct 19, 2002.

1. pfp

pfp Senior Member

Y'know, there's a bit too much of, "This happened, but I'm not gonna talk about it in this thread because of something or other".

Ugh. Then don't bring it up.

P

2. JohnnyCNote

JohnnyCNote Junior Member

Feel perfectly free to take it or leave it.....

3. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole...

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    I'm with you, Pat. There's a sight too much allegation without proper backup ("X is going to happen, I know it will, but I can't reveal my über-secret-source because I signed something.") I'll believe it when I see the actual source.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pfp

pfp Senior Member

Zaph, you use "X" as if the variable was actually provided by these people. I think the impression should be:

Something is going to happen, and I'm cool because I know it, but I can't tell you what that something is or even who told me about this something, so as far as it matters to you, you won't even know when it's happening because you don't know what it is! Hahaha, I have a secret.

If this is taken as offensive, I'm sorry, but it's my birthday and I'm stuck at the store with nothing to do but rant on this board...

P

5. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

I'm with you guys, I've been tired along time ago of this guy talking about his sources this/his sources that, but yet and still, he hasn't told us anything we didn't already know.

6. JohnnyCNote

If you've already heard all of this, then it's obviously not worth commenting on. If you're happy with your service, then that's all that matters.....

7. adjklf

adjklf New Member

The storm is beginning and there will be some serious moves whether it be t-mobile/cingular or t-mobile/att or any combination. The carriers are scrambling and there's a lot of internal shuffling going on w/all three carriers.

8. JohnnyCNote

Have you read this somewhere? Do you have some links? I'd be very interested in seeing them.....

9. aiwapro

No, he doesn't have any links. The lastest article was the one that said T-Mobile is NOT for sale, and since then, we haven't heard anything.

Why don't we stop the rumors.

10. JohnnyCNote

I thought it was dropped a long time ago. I should be able to speak more freely after the beginning of next week.....

11. rockstar

rockstar Member

aiwa, i dont think this is gonna be something that T Mobile is gonna advertise to well. I think if it happens, the bombshell will just be dropped... only those on the inside know whats up

12. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole...

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    *sigh*

Let me explain something about corporate America. Secrets are AMAZINGLY hard to keep, especially once you have to file things with the government, as would have to happen before any takeover, merger, or confluence of interests. Corporate spying has become so bad that it really is in the best interests of any party to announce their intentions immediately and stop the rumour mill from turning.

If there is anything to be known, we will find out as soon as the involved companies' PR departments can churn out a press release.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. JohnnyCNote

I can go ahead and state now that I've been employed by TM for most of this year, but as of Sunday will no longer be. I can't express the sense of relief I feel. Actually, I've been on unpaid medical leave since mid-September. While there was a chance I'd return I didn't want to come out and say I was still an employee.

All I'll say beyond that is that TM treats its employees very poorly. I've never worked in a more oppressive environment. The former #1 in the industry call center is now nothing more than a sweatshop with very high turnover and absenteeism. The dissatisfaction is shared by customer service reps and managers alike. It's a hellhole....

14. aiwapro

Every location is different. Just because the job was difficult for you, doesn't mean it was difficult for others.

Every location doesn't operate the same.

15. JohnnyCNote

This is not true. They are all run by the same policies, set by the corporate office and there is very little, if any, autonomy. The service itself is fine. The internal policies are what are all backwards.

Here's an actual example of what I mean. They have a central monitoring facility that listens to all of the call centers. A customer could call, saying "I've had nothing but problems. If we can't fix this today, I'm going to cancel and switch to Cingular". I said, "let's see what we can do," and find a way to solve the problem. The customer says "you're the first person to actually solve this. I'm going to stay with you. Can I tell your supervisor how well you've helped me?". However, because I left out this or that phrase, I received a less than satisfactory score on the call and was written up.

So another call comes in and the customer threatens to cancel. Instead of going out of my way and finding a creative way to solve the problem, I make the one mandatory "save attempt". He doesn't accept and cancels, even though I could have helped him. Because I stuck to the script, I get a good score and TM loses a customer.

These are real world examples. The emphasis is not on whether or not the customer is satisfied, but whether or not the script was followed. This happens on a daily basis. Under the Powertel rules, the goal was to satisfy the customer, even if it meant straying outside the script.

Another source of deep frustration is the service policy. Up through the time I was working there, if a customer's phone had problems, the only solution was to send the customer a refurbished unit through the mail. If he needed one immediately, the chances were extremely slim we'd be able to get him one sooner. I've called store after store asking for loaners, but only once managed to find one, and that was only because the customer had a daughter with a serious health condition and he had to be able to be contacted all the time. A lot of the cancellations were due to this one issue, rivalled only by lack of coverage, followed by billing problems. As much as we wanted to help, our hands were tied and we wound up taking the heat.

Beyond that, the morale took a huge dive after all of the reps in the country were deprived of up to a $500 bonus. They had a quarterly contest for price plan upgrades. They pushed it constantly, published a weekly tally by call center of the top producers (of which I was one), and really made a big deal of it. Then, during the last month, they start hinting that we may not get it because there were too many cancellations over the past 2 months. The result was the bonus was rescinded and people, who'd really worked hard to help TM by updating price plans, were very angry over being duped. We could understand if we were disqualified for something we had control over, but the main reasons for cancelling (listed above) are nothing we can change. Of course, TM got the benefit of the updated price plans and made its money.

In my own case, they've reneged on over $1000 in bonuses that I qualified for and changed the rules on short term disability payments at the last minute. My situation is not at all unique, either. People are forced to work off the clock throughout the company, which is being pursued now through the US Dept. of Labor.

One reason I advise people to double-check claims made by sales reps about TM services is because they are not held responsible for misstatements of fact. I had a case where a customer had in writing a particular feature that was in fact erroneous. He even faxed it in; there's no doubt he was telling the truth and the contract was valid. Rather than honor the contract, the managers refused and he was forced to go to court.

The old Get More 3000 plan had problems. Despite the website and brochures stating that all calls originating within the 12 state region were covered, the fact was that certain areas of Indiana and other states were in fact not covered. I pointed out the discrepancy and was told to follow the policy outlined in the company intranet if anyone called with roaming charges of 49¢/minute. Needless to day, they add up very quickly. TM benefits and the customer is screwed.

There are many more problems with TM that are not always apparent to the customer, but which may ultimately have a negative effect on the company as a whole. I can understand your position, since you are an agent for the service, but you should be aware that these policies may eventually affect your own profitability.....

16. LowTech

LowTech Junior Member

The most rediculous thing about t-mobile is their lack of company owned stores. Ive gone to countless t-mobile stores and not one has been a corporate store. The great thing about verizon is that they have sooooo corporate stores and relitively few franchised stores. I guess the downside to not franchising so easily is that t-mobile stores are everywhere. there are at least 6 within 5 miles of my house, whereas there are only 2 verizon stores within 5 miles. But i'd still rather see t-mobile open more corporate locations. If I have a problem with my phone I can take it to a verizon store and they'll help me out. on the other hand...with t-mobile all i can do is call customer service.

17. JohnnyCNote

Even if you take your phone to a corporate owned TM store you'll have to call customer service if you have a problem. Their stores are only there to sign up new subscribers and sell accessories. They can't even help with upgrades - you'll have to call customer service...

18. aiwapro

They can do upgrades.

19. adjklf

adjklf New Member

Company stores cost a ton of money to open and operate while its easier/cheaper to open agent stores.

20. JohnnyCNote

That was not the case when I worked for the company, and at best was the exception to the rule. What usually happened was the customer would have to pay full retail at a TM store and we'd have to put a credit on the bill. Otherwise, they'd have to call the upgrades line which was located in Portland and order one to be mailed to them. I will admit they were planning to make some changes, but the last I heard they'd been pushed back. If a private dealer wanted to make a separate deal, that's another matter.

What information do you have to the contrary?

PS: I'm aware of you because I had to clean up the account for someone who followed your advice and tried to get service in an area of SC that we didn't cover. It took several weeks to get it straightened out. Had he called us up first we could have avoided a big problem.....

21. aiwapro

I was in a T-Mobile store a couple weeks ago, and I asked the manager, and he said they could do it. He showed it to his employees and I on the screem, and he even told me how much my discount would be.

What account are you talking about you had to clean up? If it's such a big problem with them signing up in South Carolina, then why is it an option on the T-Mobile website. Everyone knows T-Mobile doesn't cover much of South Carloina, it's all Cingular.

BS man, BS.

22. JohnnyCNote

If the upgrade program has changed, it's happened since I left.

As far as the other situation goes, what reason would I have for making it up? I don't remember his name, but wouldn't post it if I did. I'm also not accusing you of any wrongdoing. The problem was with the store he went to. He just said he'd come to this forum and followed your advice, period. He lived outside of the coverage area and had to get a different SIM card because the dealer had issued the wrong one, if memory serves. He called on a Sunday morning and I spent over an hour with him, then called him back a couple of times afterwards to follow up.

If you want to call it "bs", go ahead, but it doesn't change the fact that it happened.

As far as the website goes, you asked a very good question: "why is it an option on the T-Mobile website." I refer you to a previous posting where internal policy directly contradicted that posted on the website regarding roaming charges from within the 12-state coverage area with the Get More 3000 plan. I brought this up myself and was told not to concern myself with it. Thus, it wouldn't be the first time there was erroneous information on their site. That's why I always advise people to call customer service and verify everything.....

23. aiwapro

I see, but I don't think I ever told anyone to specifically do that. I just said that if you could, it would be nice, but you can't, but you could try it on the T-Mobile website, since it does list South Carolina in the sign-up process.

24. JohnnyCNote

I just amended my previous posting.....

25. aiwapro

Yeah, they should really fix that.