Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

T-Mobile Merger

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by JohnnyCNote, Oct 19, 2002.

1. JohnnyCNote

JohnnyCNote Junior Member

According to my sources, call center managers are openly admitting it's only a matter of time before T-Mobile merges with another carrier. I don't have any more info than that, but will pass it on when I do....

2. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

They've been saying that over the last 4-5 months.

3. JohnnyCNote

There have been rumors in the press, but with managers saying it's just a matter of time, that tends to lend a little more credibility to those rumors.....

4. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    managers probably have no inside info on this. T-Mobile has been a potential merger target for years, even before they were bought by DT. We all know TM has talked to Cingular and AT&T. TM (well DT) has also said they are considering just taking TM International (all of worldwide TMobile) public and getting the cash they need that way.....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. JohnnyCNote

I haven't talked to anyone there recently, so I'll see if I can get any updates. All I can add is that anywhere I've worked it's unusual for a manager to even acknowledge rumors of mergers, usually per orders from above....

6. aiwapro

Your sources don't seem reliable.

If it isn't John Stanton himself, or the T-Mobile CEO himself, then they don't know.

7. psychodoggie

psychodoggie New Member

8. psychodoggie

psychodoggie New Member

T-Mobile has about 60 Billion dollars debt. That's just about enough debt to take away any temptation to merge with them.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

keep telling yourself that aiwa... it's only a matter of time....
    [​IMG]

10. aiwapro

11. aiwapro

It's been a matter of time for a year now.

12. b1spirit

b1spirit New Member

umm...i thought its T-mobile's parent company DT who have the $60bn debt not T-mobiel itself....Of course DT is going to try shift some of the debt to the new company form after the merger.

13. aiwapro

It is DT that is in debt, but some of it came from the high price that they purchased Voicestream for.

14. JohnnyCNote

My neighbor (among other sources) that works in their call center tells me that the conditions have gone dramatically downhill over the past few months. Something is definitely in the wind there. It may take another year, but no one there feels secure, plus management has cracked down very hard on a lot of petty issues, creating the impression they want people to quit. Hold times for customer service have risen dramatically and turnover is at an all time high. It's as if they're trying to sabotage their own company.....

15. karmannghia

karmannghia Junior Member

I have heard from a store manager that T-Mobile is positioning themselves to go public, IPO. All this talk about merger is to stir up media coverage and talk about their company to increase interest in their IPO. I don't know if this is true or not, just what I heard.

16. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    JohhnyCNote, thanks for another post about your information regarding T-Mobile Customer Care. It's all a matter of opinion of course, as I know T-Mobile employees who could refute that information, but it's not worth arguing about. You've posted it enough IMHO...it's in many forums. We hear you [​IMG]

karman - the potential IPO is for T-Mobile International, which is the holding group for all of T-Mobile worldwide (T-M USA, T-M Germany, T-M UK, T-M, Czech, T-M Austria, Ben (soon to be T-M Netherlands), etc.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. JohnnyCNote

My main issue is with how they treat their employees, especially how their treatment has changed over the past 6 months. All I'll say beyond that is there is legal action on the horizon, but until a suit is filed, I shouldn't say anything else except that I used to work for the US Dept. of Labor and am familiar with labor laws......

18. aiwapro

JohnnyCNote, I don't think your sources are reliable at all. Everything you say seems to be the total opposite of what the whole world says. All of the employees I know are happy with working at T-Mobile. You do know they have employees in more than one location, so just because you know a few unhappy employees, that doesn't mean there other thousands of employees are unhappy.

19. pfp

pfp Senior Member

Wasn't it settled in a thread less than 5 days ago that we're going to hear the last word on this merger thing on November 14th?

I know I was one of the biggest talkers recently about this whole thing, but can't we all shut up about it for 2 weeks when the official announcement is supposed to be? If that day comes, and nothing happens, (i.e. they still say "we're thinking about this" and "might" and "maybe") we'll open this up again, but good gods, can't we just wait two weeks?

P

20. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Johnny,

AFAIK there's nothing illegal about having your pay scaled to customer counts, price plans, whatever - it's commission based on achieving a goal. T-M is not the only company doing that. Nothing I've seen you post suggests anything illegal. Also, in a company with (I tihnk) over 30,000 employees, anecdotal evidence does not make a policy universal. Policies are different from place to place - store to store, etc., no matter what the "rules" are.....

That said, I'm not supporting unfair labor practices, but AIUI you didn't post anything that suggested this.....

21. JohnnyCNote

All I can say is that "they" work there. I can't say any more than that at this time....

22. JohnnyCNote

This wasn't a commission, it was a bonus. These are not sales positions....

23. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    sorry, poor choice of words. I didn't mean sales commission. For example, I meant "$200 per week for completing 1000 calls" or something like that - financial motivation to complete a number of calls.

24. JohnnyCNote

I think what you're referring to is a "piece work" arrangement, which is actually common in sweatshops [​IMG]. Seriously, though, they pay by the hour and were pushing this bonus, which they'd paid the previous quarter. A rep would get so much depending on how many price plan updates s/he got. Since VS had changed to TM, they also included updates where they simply went to the equivalent TM plan that cost the same.

During September, my sources tell me, they started up with this "our churn rate (the number of people who cancel) was too high the last 2 months, but you can still get it!" stuff. That was the first real hint that everyone's efforts were for nothing and that the bonuses wouldn't happen. The real problem with all of this is that people cancel for lack of coverage, TM's inadequate service and replacement policies, cases where the sales rep had misrepresented the service, or where the competition simply had something the customer liked better (new phone, better plan for their needs, etc). These are things the reps have no control over.

So TM gets all kinds of people on their new price plans, while the $500 that was dangled in front of everyone's eyes disappears. My sources say that with hindsight, the whole deal was pretty fishy. They dragged their heels for the first 3 weeks of the quarter, being very vague about how exactly to go about reporting the price plan updates. The rules were poorly written, leading to the confusion about the churn rate. As far as the churn thing goes, there's a separate retention department whose job it is to persuade customers to stay with TM. If they can't talk people into staying, why penalize everyone else?

In any event, along with everything else, people are in a nearly mutinous mood, the worst my "sources" have ever seen in their long collective years of work. It may or may not indicate an immediate change at the corporate level, and I'm not trying to say people should change their service. If they have TM and it serves their needs, then that's all that matters. Personally, I have trouble doing business with a company that treats its employees like that. Best Buy is another example. I've been in that situation before and I guess it just reminds me of how bad it was for me and my co-workers.

This is offered solely as a glimpse into the inner workings of one call center at TM. As I'm able, I'll give more details what should make things a little clearer....

25. pfp

pfp Senior Member

Oh c'mon, as if that's not a common strategy.

Mostly in sales positions, I've seen the "hang a prize out that we won't need to reward to motivate people," repeatedly.

At 17, I telemarketed. At the beginning of the month, they'd announce a contest. There'd be stuff up for it, like posters/decorations, they'd say all these great things. And very quietly, on occasion, you'd hear, "Thes prizes will be awarded if we reach quota". Quota was outrageous, and at the end, they didn't say they weren't awarding prizes b/c of not reaching quota, they just made excuses until everyone forgot about the contest.

I've gone into sales positions being told there's a bonus at 15 sales/month, and EVERYONE makes 15 a month. Before anyone says anything about 15 being easy, note that some of these companies have a very structured door-knocking plan, and you follow the structure. There's no way you'll reach 15 in a month.

Sorry, just have to vent this, it's not uncommon to offer a bonus that won't happen or is unachievable.

P

26. JohnnyCNote

That's all well and good, but these are not "sales positions", they are customer service reps. They receive absolutely no sales training in any way. If they want them to do sales, then they can pay them a commission.....

27. Damian7132

Damian7132 Member

My Phone:
    V3razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular Wireless
    ok this could be wrong and it may be for some other reason but i have recently seen the new map for cingular prefered nation.I will not say anymore though i already did but i have edited it so as to not create a conflict of intrest those that have seen the new map undertand that it is good.But it does not solve what this post is about at least not not in black and white.So we will just have to see.

28. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole...

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    Bonuses are just that - bonuses. I've had my share yanked because the firm had a hard quarter or year or whatever. Nothing illegal about it.

29. JohnnyCNote

I never said it was illegal. It was underhanded, did more harm than good, made a lot of people very angry, but it's totally legal. There are other issues, but I can't get into that now due to the promises I've made to my sources....