Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

T-Mobile Launches UMA in Seattle (@Home)

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by Etorres777, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Etorres777

Etorres777 Life is good for now..

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t Mobility
    T-Mobile Launches @Home UMA Service In Seattle
    Today, 5:21 PM source: T-Mobile

T-Mobile today rolled out the @Home service in Seattle area stores. @Home is T-Mobile's brand name for Universal Mobile Access (UMA) which allows a cell phone to make voice or data calls using pre-approved Wi-Fi hotspot instead of the cellular network. In order to use @Home, customers need a compatible phone with Wi-Fi. T-Mobile is selling the Nokia 6136 and Samsung T709 for $50 each with a 2 year contract. The @Home service then costs an additional $20 per month for unlimited calling from a home access point as well as any T-Mobile hotspot. T-Mobile is also giving away a Wi-Fi access point for customers who do not have one already. The service is expect to launch in additional markets but has not announced any plans as of yet.

http://www.phonescoop.com

2. nKrypteD1

nKrypteD1 Software Architect

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Hopefully this works out well in the end. I can already see the heavy amount of use in regards to VoIP Cellphones.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Gaf318

Gaf318 New Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Good Morning, Just so I'm clear on this. If I have broadband with wifi capablities service at home with a VoIP such as Vonage. With one of these approved phones then I should be able to do anyway with the Vonage service?
    Also that @Home service doesn't have anything to do with the now defunked @Home that Cox Communication used with their broadband service does it? Thanks for the responses Greg

4. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Correct. T-Mobile @ Home is just a service name, it has nothing to do with the old Excite@Home internet service. Additionally, this service would allow you to drop Vonage, as your cell phone would use whatever your broadband service is from (cable, DSL etc)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Basically it's turning your mobile into a one stop shop for all uses.

6. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I wonder if this statement means that you can use any Wi-Fi?

I was under the impression you had to buy or get one of the Wi-Fi network units for the phone to connect to it?

For the additional $20.00 for unlimited calling from home, it's a good deal & will compete with VoIP providers, since I pay $24.99 a month for my VoIP.

7. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The T-Mobile WiFi router is not a requirement.

8. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I would think the only thing that's a real requirement is 802.11g or b with an open configuration or perhaps there's a way to set a WEP/WPA Key in the phone.

Just think this puts a whole new meaning on stealing the neighbors wireless.

9. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I must have mis understood the original press release's, since it seemed to give that impression.

I agree, and that is what I was trying to figure out, if you need to change any specific settings on your router to make it connect or as you stated setting the SID & WEP/WPA key on the phone, otherwise you can lock into anyones router to use it & hope they have a broadband connection to make the calls.

10. clock3687

clock3687 Cell Signal?????? Use it!

My Phone:
    Google Nexus S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yea looking forward to this. Which phone would you go with, the Nokia or Samsung?

11. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    so are you saying that T-Mobile can send you a router that is approved for use as an @Home hotspot?

12. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Per the article Etorres posted it does appear they will send you the Wi-Fi unit if you don't already have one & with this service you can get connected at a Hotspot location if there is no cell service. (I believe they mean if there is no cell coverage for the Hotspot, not sure if you can manually switch the phone)

13. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    so the @Home service will work on T-Mobile Hotspots that work with the T-Mobile HotSpot service and it will work with routers that you put in your home from T-Mobile.......srry im still a little confused

and i hope they let you manually switch it.....T-Mobile usually lets you do it with the cell networks and bands.......it would be a nice little addition....

14. clock3687

My Phone:
    Google Nexus S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    If this is the case then what will determine whether or not you are using your "home" wireless connection. Especially since they say that you will get you will only need the router if you dont have one already. Hopefully there arent any restrictions and you can use it on ANY wirless connection

15. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    that would be amazing but according to the article from the originating post....the hotspot must be pre-approved.......they probably embed some software in the routers and in the phones so that they phone will only lock onto routers that have that specific software or chipset or encryption or w/e

16. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Another question I have, since my VoIP needs a T/A to work, will this work just from the router without needing a T/A or other device to convert it to a IP phone call?
    Unless everything needed is built into the phone itself, even Skype and other free internet phone calls need software on your computer to work, besides the mic & speakers. I didn't notice anything about software being installed on your computer, but this could be the way they are bypassing needing a T/A.

Which brings up another question, what about 9-1-1 calls?

17. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    thats a very good question because all of those 911 calls from todays hardline VOIP companies require that an address be on file in order to route the call to the proper call center.........would they have to end upprogramming an address into the router instead or will they still use the GPS data........they would still have to use towers unless the T-Mobile phones got outfitted with GPS antennas......it eliminates so many prospects

18. clock3687

My Phone:
    Google Nexus S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Since the VOIP companies are required to have addresses on file, it would make sense for T-Mo to do the samething. When your phone connects to an "authorized" hotspot i guess that t-mo would already have that address on file, which would make it fairly easy to meet the E911 standard.

19. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Good point, and as long as your phone can't connect to a neighbors or if your at a friends house & connect to their Wi-Fi for the landline calls, they will be covered.
    It will be interesting to learn more about this service & system & if software is used for the landline calls on your Wi-Fi.

20. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    they would have to program a lock into the phones so that they will only connect to routers that have the "T-Mobile Approved brand" almost a bit of software or even routers with a T-Mobile brand firmware......this might work and like i said before as well as clock and fire14........each router would have to have an address hard programmed into it......but if they would be distributing routers to people who get the @Home service......wats to stop the consumer from taking the router someplace else or even move without contacting T-Mobile......how would T-Mobile prevent the approved router from being used on an internet connection not located in the approved area?