Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

t-mobile -- for real

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by CaliphoniaBoy, May 21, 2002.

1. CaliphoniaBoy

CaliphoniaBoy Senior Member

(sorry for the prev. one... I hit enter to soon)

OK, here I am back with my two cents... I have not contributed anything in the last few days because I am actually travelling in Europe (mainly in Germay) right now.

To check things out about the parent company of VS I have gotten myself a t-mobile (Germany) prepaid account and I am using it happily over here.

Here is my impression:

t-mobile (Ger) rules! They work virtually everywhere!

Here are some of my experiences:

Whenever I am in a city-area or freeway I get constantly maximum reception.

Even in buildings in the city area I mostly get maxium reception.

I have been in surburban areas where I got 2-3 "bars" which was the worst (above ground) it ever got.

It works in most subway stations and even in some subway tunnels

I have travelled with the high-speed train across the country and they have equipped some of the cars with repeaters... so that you can sit in the train and travel with 160mph and have a near-landline-quality phone call. That's cool! (however, tunnels of more than 1 mile cut the conversation off)

I have been on some festivals with thousands and thousands of people and I have NOT HAD A SINGLE SYSTEM BUSY message!

-----

Re building networks it is really amazing over here. They have four digital networks and you can see cell phone antennas everyhwere. However, they seem to have a different approach. They put them on buildings etc and sometimes even paint them in building colors. Therefore, if you don't look for them (as I have done) you don't see them.

-----

Upshot: if t-mobile brings some of these standards to Cali, they will blow everybody else away...

So far from an US-Cingular customer

C.

2. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    <<
    Re building networks it is really amazing over here. They have four digital networks and you can see cell phone antennas everyhwere. However, they seem to have a different approach. They put them on buildings etc and sometimes even paint them in building colors. Therefore, if you don't look for them (as I have done) you don't see them.

-----
    >>

Thanks for the long distance post! The US is getting better at forcing the carriers to become inventive in building out their networks in metro areas - and part of it is NIMBYism I think......couple of examples. Last night I saw some sort of "tower" - I'm not even sure what it was (guess it might not be cellular) on the top of a traffic light pole! It looked like this

__I__I__I__I__I__I_
    I I I I I I

and on the left end was attached to the lightpost. Is it cellular or something else?

I see numerous carrier's equipment on the top of those big power lines that stretch for miles. They are on water towers, hotels, etc here in many many places (and this is VA suburbs of DC - not even downtown). Fake flagpoles too, and also near me sometime (it's beein in the news for 2 years) a functional bell tower with space for 4 carriers will be constucted at a church. The brand new (January) VS tower nearest my home is attached to a shopping center clock-tower like thing. Since it's in a residential area w/shopping and covers a weak spot, VS attached three panels to the tower supports - one for each triangular (when you need capacity many times you'll see three panels per side). and they painted them to match. If you didn't know it was there, you'd never know.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    oops my graphic didn't show up right - the second line of "I"s is supposed to be lined up under the first row.....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

i hear you caliphonia boy. when i was in england for two months a while back i bought a prepaid vodafone and it worked top notch everywhere.

they are just ahead of us in europe period.

5. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

This is what Voicestream is trying to bring to the US, and they eventually will. The NIMBY's are just in the way. But one day, one day!

6. UnseenPower

UnseenPower Junior Member

I agree, Germany does have the right idea, big buildings are a great place to put repeaters. I think skyscrapers here in the US, would be a fine place to place them. Duetch Telecom is a great carrier in Germany and I would love to see the same approach taken in the states. Wouldn't it be great to have maximum coverage in every nook and crany of our daily lives?

[​IMG]

7. roamer1

roamer1 In Memoriam

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 680
    Wireless Provider(s):
    lots of orange, a little Little Rock blue
    Europe in general has much higher population density than the US and Canada; it's easy to build good coverage when more people are in a smaller space (unless you are Sprint PCS or VoiceStream in Chicago, IL, USA...)

Also, Europeans tend to be less technophobic than Americans (but not quite as technomaniac as the Japanese) and are usually more willing to put up with "antennas everywhere" and the like; there's also the matter of all European carriers using only GSM rather than the hodgepodge of GSM/IS-95 CDMA/IS-136 TDMA/iDEN/[N]AMPS that we have here.

-SC

8. Apoc

Apoc Senior Member

I have forecasted this for months on end about T-Mobile coming and I am happy that it is finally actually here. Good Luck VS!

9. aiwapro

Yes Apoc, I hope that they do do well. Larry told me in another thread that Voicestream (T-Mobile) got approved for a tower in Orange County, California and Cingular did not.

10. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    way to go v-stream

Jack

11. CaliphoniaBoy

CaliphoniaBoy Senior Member

OK everybody...

I am back from Europe (and some other vacation...) and this was my "homecoming party":

arrived at San Fran International, a coworker who wanted to pick me up tried to call me, my (cingular) phone was on and had reception, but he got only my voicemail anyway... he had to try to call 5+ times to actually get a call through

and that was not somewhere but at SFO...

Thank you so much Cingular!

Grrr

and again, hello everybody again

C.

12. BAL

BAL New Member

Happened to pull up by a mobile phone dealer in Pleasanton yesterday and saw a big T-Mobile banner inside. I went in and asked him when they're launching and he said July 15th (then tried to sell me an AT&T phone) [​IMG]

13. mph11582

mph11582 New Member

hehe, nice

14. SilverState

SilverState New Member

I talked to two dealers in Reno today. Both said they did not have their T=Mobile stock or displays in yet but expected them next week. One tried to sell me Sprint PCS. I declined. They both "hinted" that as soon as the stock came in I could stop by and persue but would have to wait until the 15th before activating which was no surprise.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

looking to help build the network, anyone know of any contacts for t-mobile, I am a wireless contractor in the north california area and already build for cingular, would like to help build t- mobile's network. They can not be trying to just use Cingular's network.

16. ProCom

ProCom New Member

looking to help build the network, anyone know of any contacts for t-mobile, I am a wireless contractor in the north california area and already build for cingular, would like to help build t- mobile's network. They can not be trying to just use Cingular's network.[​IMG]

17. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Have you checked the VS jobs on their website? you can submit online

job link

18. Geoff

Geoff New Member

On the voicestream site, I searched for jobs in San Jose and there are a few at Eastridge Mall. So sounds like starting on the 15th Voicestream will be another option we have here in N. California! Hopefully more competition = better customer service and rates for us consumers! POWER TO THE PEOPLE! LOL

19. ProCom

ProCom New Member

Matt.
    You Sound like you have something to do with T- mobile. Thanks for the link, but that like is for, if I was wanting to go to work at T- Mobile. I own a construction company that builds site (for company’s like Cingular, ATT, and Nextel) I was trying to find someone at T- Mobile in the construction department that I could talk to about building for them. I don’t think that they are just going to piggyback on Cingular's sites. We are doing a lot of work with Cingular to get ready but there are a lot of areas that will need new sites. We are a full line wireless contractor, from Towers to roof tops we do it all. So if you know anyone at T-Mobile in the construction department for California, both north and south areas Please let me know. Thanks,

rmix@procominc.com.

20. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Sorry I don't work for t-mobile nor do I have any contacts in construction.

21. aiwapro

Post that question on Howards Forums in the Voicestream forum ProCom.

22. spyder22

spyder22 Junior Member

you are smoking crack. T-mobile AKA voicestream does not and will not control the cell sites nor expansion in the CA/NV markets. If coverage is lacking in areas....which everyone knows that there is, T-mobile/cingular will go in and build the cell site. The construction, money, and control of the site is all on CIngulars side. T_Mobile has projected where they want sites and were coverage and capcity issues are. Now it is up to Cingular to get the job done. With the help of the germans money of course.

23. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Actually, both companies will contribute money to the joint venture. It may be Cingular employees in CA/NV and VS employess in NYC who do the work, but it is a joint venture

<< Although both companies will buy network services from the infrastructure joint venture in these markets, each company will retain its own licenses to provide wireless voice and data services. Each company will independently market its services to customers using its own brand name, and utilize its own sales, marketing, billing, and customer care operations. >>

link

24. Geoff

Geoff New Member

Found this message on another site:

Monday - July 15th T-Mobile will be launching in California...here is there promo rate plan for CA:

39.99/month
    1000 anytime minutes
    Unlimited Nights and Weekends
    Free Nationwide long distance

$49.99/month
    3000 anytime minutes

Also.....the store i'm working at will be giving away the Samsung R225 ($89 rebate) and T193($50 rebate) for
    FREE..so basically we're paying you to sign up... 8)

25. aiwapro

Those rate plans are correct.

26. Guest

Guest Guest

Are those only available in Ca?

27. zeeker

zeeker Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8800
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Cingular
    Are you guys for real with this 1000 anytime minutes? WOW! Will this find it's way to the Tri-State area? 1000 minutes is very nice. Hope they resolve any network issue that are present in that part of the world.

VS is the best wirelss carrier around! Now give me my 1000 minutes! (the phrase that pays....like Z100....it's a NY thing)

28. Guest

Guest Guest

In Hong Kong, there is also wonderful cellular coverage. When I was there, my cell phone worked everywhere I went. And you could buy a cell phone almost anywhere, since there was at least two stores on each block! And the rates were really competitive as well. My phone had 4-5 bar coverage throughout the city, and even in the MTR (subway). However, calls from the MTR are subjected to a $1 HKD surcharge connection fee...

29. alee25

alee25 New Member

can anyone tell me how the coverage for tmobile is around berekley/oakland down to Bay area?