Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

T-Mobile: Family Plan and Roaming

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by raisinbran, Mar 2, 2005.

1. raisinbran

raisinbran New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering if any other T-Mobile users out there are having the same problem I am. I signed up for the Family Shared Plan with my girlfriend so that we can talk to each other as much as we want. At first, (other than the standard T-Mobile reception issues) there were no problems and it worked fine.

However I recently came back to college, which is in a digital roaming area (covered by third-party towers). Normally this is not a problem since T-Mobile has free roaming. But when the phone bill came back we had $50 in usage charges because we had gone over our minutes. This was a shock to us since we basically only talk to each other.

We investigated further and found out that we weren't getting the unlimited T-Mobile to T-Mobile minutes that were included in our plan. I thought this would be no problem to fix, since we're both T-Mobile users on the same plan and we should be getting unlimted minutes to each other.

We found out that because I'm in an area that's not officially T-Mobile, their systems couldn't tell that I was a T-Mobile customer. This means no unlimited T-Mobile to T-Mobile minutes for me, even though I'm a T-Mobile customer.

When I got the plan the sales rep. knew I was going into an area that was considered roaming, but made no mention of this problem (big surprise). I called Customer Service and found out that they're deciding whether or not they're going to fix the problem, but as of now they're valid charges.

Right now I'm feeling like I was deceived by the sales rep. and customer service couldn't care less. I'm just wondering if anyone else out there has been having this problem and if they've found out anything to do about it.

Thanks (and sorry for the long post).

2. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Yup, T-Mobile counts Mobile to Mobile minutes from your anytime or night and weekend bucket while roaming.

3. Cingular GSM User

Man does that suck...

Hint of advice.. read the fine print!!!!!!!!

That is why I am with Cingular.... LOL

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    There aren't a lot of places on T-Mobile's website that say that M2M doesn't apply while roaming, they hid it very, very well!

5. wgray8231

wgray8231 I don't work here.

My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    VZW's map also defines where IN works and doesn't. Unfortunately, the map of the whole US is fairly inaccurate (it shows lots of digital, so the coverage locator should be used whenever possible.

Cingular counts in-network calling no matter who you're roaming on, don't they? VZW's new plans should also have this.

Sorry about the TMO problem.

6. Cingular GSM User

That is what I just said.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yes, Cingular always allows M2M, Verizon only has a *few* exceptions, T-Mobile doesn't allow M2M while roaming

8. raisinbran

raisinbran New Member

Can't wait for my contract to expire...

Next time I won't skim the fine print. :rolleyes:

Thanks anyway

9. Cingular GSM User

Well are you still in the trial period or how many months left on your contract do you have?

You could put your account up for sale and someone else could take over it for you.

How is coverage at your house (where ur gf lives) and at ur school?

If it is poor (either places - which ever is worse) have T-Mobile's CS comeout and test it, if they will. If not put in a trouble ticket for having horrid service and ask if you can cancel your contract w/out an ETF Fee since your coverage is so bad (if this is true)

Who are you looking at for the future?!?

10. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    That's the way TM family plans work right now. M2M is not in effect when your phone says something other than T-Mobile in the display. However, I have heard that TM is building out State College area this year to eliminate the roaming on IMMIX (formerly Conestoga). I don't have any further details though.

11. raisinbran

raisinbran New Member

(Resolved) T-Mobile: Family Plan and Roaming

Well, after getting the shaft from T-Mobile's CS, I wrote in a complaint through planetfeedback.com, and they ended up letting us out of the contract. So that made me feel a lot better about the situation. Who knows, maybe I'll stick with them for a few more months before I switch to Verizon. :)

12. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

These are Fine prints that Carriers
    Don't bother telling their Customers.
    Even VZW & others does this.

13. wgray8231

My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    This is very true. Big business (not just wireless) love to make money off customers that don't read the fine print. It's to your advantage to be an informed consumer. Read everything and ask lots of questions. They may "forget" to tell you the details, but they can't lie about them.

14. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Re: (Resolved) T-Mobile: Family Plan and Roaming

You got "the shaft" because you were being billed correctly. If the sales rep made a mistake (knowingly or not), that is not the responsibility of the customer care rep on the other end of the line. I do agree that the sales rep should know what areas (generally) of the US are roaming, and therefore are not mobile-to-mobile. The rep could say "whenever your phone says something other than T-Mobile then you don't get m2m."

15. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Re: (Resolved) T-Mobile: Family Plan and Roaming

But T-Mobile needs to change soemthing. Sprint and T-Mobile are the only ones left to not count M2M, while roaming. A lot of T-Mobile is roaming in some areas/States.

16. Etorres777

Etorres777 Life is good for now..

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t Mobility
    This is some nice piece on information to let my customers know.

17. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):

...which might also turn some down.
    I find it interesting business that T-Mobile does: They don't really state clearly that M2M does not count while roaming, BUT their maps don't distinguish between roaming and home coverage....

18. Etorres777

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t Mobility
    Well, possibly, but most of the time they will probably be on the T-Mobile network anyway.

19. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ...depends on your area...

20. wgray8231

My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Did you not know about this before?

This is bad. Can they get away with this?

21. Etorres777

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t Mobility
    No I didn't know. I try to be very honest about everything so that I don't get some pissed off person come and yell at me for just trying to make a sale, which I need LOL.

22. wgray8231

My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Now we have proof that even the salespeople for TMO don't know all the fine print. What is it coming to?

23. Etorres777

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t Mobility
    I just started it's not all going to magically come to me.

24. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Etorres, this is something they should have told you about right away...this is important. Not everyobody that gets a phone will be staying on the t-mobile network. This is, IMO, something they should tell you very soon.

25. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I have some brochures in front of me from late 2004. They clearly state, in large print (same as the rest of the text, above the map)

That quote is also on the TM website underneath the Flash map. You can also see roaming areas in the Personal Coverage Check.

The rate plan brocure does show hatched green in the roaming areas, and the description below states "calls...will be deducted from your plan minutes and not mobile to mobile...."

The actual geographic roaming areas are no longer listed (in words) but a TM rep should be able to get that information for a customer.

26. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I remember my friend back a couple years ago signed up for the 3000 local anytime minutes. They said that he had unlimited nights and weekends as well. Oh boy he used that phone night after night and had about 200 in extra charges. They told him wrong.

27. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The bottom line is you must read the information you are given, no matter your provider. The statements of the customer service reps, store reps, etc. aren't binding - only the plan description in the brochure, as well as the Terms and Conditions.

In T-Mobile's case, that 3000 minute plan has never included n/w.

28. roamer1

roamer1 In Memoriam

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 680
    Wireless Provider(s):
    lots of orange, a little Little Rock blue
    Personal Coverage Check/Compass does, and the old regular maps did, and I've seen some fine print on the newer regular maps that indicates some roaming areas where M2M doesn't apply. (I recall seeing the Carolinas and Einstein and i-wireless territory mentioned, but I don't recall seeing anything about State College, or Alaska [which TMO seems to forget exists at all sometimes], or northeast TN, or the Hannibal MO/Quincy-Macomb IL area [mostly roaming on Simmetry and Commnet, aside from a single TMO license saver site in downtown Quincy], or anywhere in Arizona [there's lots of roaming on Cingular and Commnet there], or other areas.)

-SC

29. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Right before they put the compass on their site, available for everyone, I don't think there was a way for people to know where t-mobile's own network actually was and where they would be 'roaming'. I also don't think that there was a fine print below the map that stated about M2M not applying while roaming...I could be wrong though.

30. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Actually, until the Flash map turned green, the roaming coverage was always hatched so you could tell where the roaming areas were. AFAIK, the brochures still have the hatching. The last brocuhre I have still had hatching, and it was still valid at Christmas. I haven't been in a store in a while.

Here's an example of what the maps online used to look like

http://www.allwirelessinfo.com/all-images/t-mobile map-80.jpg