Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

T-mobile extended my contract for one more year!

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by liugang, Oct 16, 2006.

1. liugang

liugang New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-mobile
    It seems WirelessAdvisor is the proper forum to discuss about it.

My case is as follows. I was in a family plan until July, 2006. The account holder decided to cancel the family plan on July. At that time, my line's contract didn't expire until Oct, 2006, since I upgraded the cell phone. So I called T-mobile, one representative told me I can continue my contract with other plan in T-mobile until my contract ends in Oct, 2006.

While, when I got out of the family plan, I had an individual plan in T-mobile. Just several days ago, I called T-mobile to ask about the contract. I got answer that it will expire in July, 2007! It means they extended my contract for one more year! So I called to argue about that, they said it's Change of Responsibility, and a new contract is required. This is different from what I heard before I left the family plan.

Does anyone can tell whether I need to be extended the contract for one more year in this case? Is it always required to have a new contract after you get out of a family plan with your contract not expired at that time? Thanks for your input.

2. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    A change of responsibility does not require a contract extension. However, a COR means you are changing on the person responsible for the plan, not the plan itself. When you switched to an individual plan, assuming you chose one with unlimited nights, you were required to start a one year contract at that time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. liugang

liugang New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-mobile
    So in this case, COR means I took over the previous family plan and continue the existent contract, right? But I switched to an individual plan, so a new contract is required. That makes sense.

But can I just continue the existent contract without one year extension after I left the family plan? Is there any way to do that? I really needed instruction at that time, but now it seems to be late, while it can still let me figure it out.

4. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Your contract date is not tied to your rate plan choice all the time (if you upgrade your phone you extend your contract too as you know). If you switched to an individual plan that did NOT include unlimited nights (there are a few but you have to ask for them) then a new contract would not have been required.

Right now, based on what you've told me you are under contract until July 2007.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. liugang

liugang New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-mobile
    One T-mobile representative replied my email and says,

when changes are made for any reason for rate plans, upgrades or Change of Responsibility the contracts will be renewed and our customers are made aware of these renewals for every contract and all changes to rate plans, or upgrades.

Does it mean even for COR, the contract will be renewed? I've heard COR will not renew the contract. Got confused.

6. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    COR used to require a contract extension. That changed about a year ago.

7. liugang

liugang New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-mobile
    That makes sense. Thank you.

Well, if I find someone for COR, will he only need to finish the current contract without renewal?
    or instead of COR, I switch to a prepaid plan, will that renew the contract? Thanks!

8. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yes, someone who takes on a contract via COR will not extend the contract as long as they don't get a phone from TM, and don't change the plan they are accepting.

I don't think you can relieve yourself of your contract obligations by switching to prepaid - you can only do that once you are out of contract.

9. liugang

liugang New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-mobile
    Got it. Thanks.:)

10. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    So if someone went from a myface 300 ($40) plan to a 600 plan ($50), they'd want you to renew? That's pretty lame, they are getting more money after all.

11. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I don't know specifically about the myFaves plans, but I would assume so.

12. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    Personally I think it's a safe assumtion that changing ANYTHING on your account will make them renew your contract. Make sure to always specifically ask that what you are doing will not renew the contract. In regards to a contract assume the negative till you are sure of the positive.

13. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Agreed good advice. I just think it's stupid if you're upgrading your plan, that's all.