Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

T-Mobile Coverage/Partner: Northern Lower Michigan

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by VanAwful, Apr 1, 2013.

1. VanAwful

VanAwful New Member

Hi,

I've been a Verizon customer for over 14 years. However, their plans an rates have grown out of control. Now I have a teenager who I would like to add to my current plan. I already have two phones so this would be the third line. They want to charge me $40 a month to add a third phone and force it to have to have 1G data or more.

I've been looking at other carriers and found T-Mobile has a much better plan once you hit three lines. I can get three lines, each with 500MB data, unlimited text and UMA (WiFi) calling for $90 a month. Verizon wants $160 for three lines, no UMA calling, and limit texting ($180 for 'share everything' plan). Seems Verizon is following the fast food industry: Super size everything and charge more, even when it is more than what many families need (or want).

Ok, sorry, venting and not the right place for it. :googlyeye

:help: I have been researching T-Mobile it looks like a good deal for the area I live in (West Michigan). However, we travel to northern lower Michigan often in the summer and I cannot find any info on the coverage in that area. Their map simple states "partner provider". Anyone have any experience with TMO in this area?

I will loose some coverage with TMO, as compared to Verizon, when traveling out west for work, but hoping the UMA feature would compensate.

Anyway, any first hand experience with this carrier in Michigan would be appreciated.

Cheers :)

2. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    t-mobile-2g.jpg

As you noticed, T-Mobile is cheaper, but lacks the coverage footprint that Verizon or AT&T have. If you mainly stay in their coverage areas, it's a decent deal. If you go into their non-native coverage areas, you may be out of luck. I have a program Cellumap, that maps networks actual coverage. Since it's a "crowd sourced" app, it only shows coverage where people have bothered to map it. I looked at T-Mobile's 2G coverage in Michigan (see attached pic). Maybe this helps you. Otherwise, give T-Mobile a call or stop in one of their shops and ask them to explain their coverage and roaming a little better, and in specifically the places where you plan to go.

Good luck! :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I live in northern Michigan and you have two choices. Verizon or AT&T. Verizon has all 3G coverage here. AT&T has a lot of the northern sector of the state covered in 3G, but not so much on the northeast side.

T-Mobile doesn't even sell/offer service up here.