Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

T-Mobile Cancellation

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by blackrubi, Nov 9, 2006.

1. blackrubi

blackrubi New Member

Hi all.

Hate for this to be my first post but I searched and couldn't come up with anything.

I've had T-Mobile for about 6 months which is halfway through my contract. I recently started a new job where I work out of the home 50% of the time and in an office 50% of the time. I have terrible signal in both my home and my office (one or two bars... sometimes no signal.) I spoke with a Tech and Customer Service Rep at T-Mobile and both confirmed my coverage was weak at both locations. I count on my phone for my business and use it 100% of the time at either of these locations. They told me that there is nothing they can do. They recommend I 'step outside' and see if it works better. Nothing like doing business from my deck in the snow.

I need to get service with a new provider so I can make and receive calls at my home and at my office. T-Mobile said they won't let me out of my contract because my phone does work, just not at the locations I need it to. I work on 100% commission and on a referral basis. If I don't answer my phone, a potential client gets passed onto the next person who does. This has a huge impact on my income. Can anyone offer any help here?

Thanks,
    kd

2. ftlbaby

ftlbaby New Member

I recently had a similar experience with tmobile. Luckily I have a sidekick so I ported my number out to sprint and kept my tmobile contract as data only. It costs me $30/mo extra, but it's worth it to have good coverage and not pay a contract termination fee. If you do not have a sidekick you can sign up for the $20/mo hot spot plan and still port your number out. I think. Good luck.

3. nKrypteD1

nKrypteD1 Software Architect

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Welcome to Wireless Advisor.

We would need more information in regards to your location in regards to recomending service to you, however, you could also forward your cellphone to your home phone if you're not ready to pay the Early Termination Fee (ETF) which will be upwards of $150, alternative you could also get a Signal Amplifier which is relatively expensive, should no company directly cover your locations.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. blackrubi

blackrubi New Member

I live in Plainfield, IL and work in Naperville, IL. Both the tech and the CSR confirmed that my specific addresses are in weak spots. There are times when I have no signal in both locations. Other times I have one or two bars.

I can't transfer the number to my home phone as 50% of the time is spent at the office. I also am not going to buy a signal amplifier so I can take it with me back and forth. I use a Moto RAZR.

kd

5. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Ok, in this area T-mobile and cingular have seperate networks, Cingular shows as very strong to Moderately Strong for your coverage area, Verizon shows as very strong as well, and Sprint is excellent (as excellent as sprint can be that is, I'm weary of Sprint for vairous reasons.) You have several Coverage options, I have heard mixed reviews about Cingular in the greater Chicago area, however, Plainsfield is at the edge of UMTS (3G) Coverage, to me that would be very attractive. Sprint is showing that you're in the EV-DO (Power Vision) area which again is 3G. Seems to me that T-Mobile's buildout in your area is poor to say the least, and in comparison to other carriers inadequate. Please Note: I used Zip Code 60544 for my research, you will get much better results if you use the street level coverage viewers with your exact address.

Almost all carriers have a trial period, if you can spare the extra money, try them out if it works out transfer your number from Tmobile over and voilla you're better off. But keep in mind like I said, there is a ETF you will have to pay. Being highly reliant on my cellular phone myself I know the position your in, it's not a good one. Hopefully you will find a Network that covers you better. By the way, Cingular's address based coverage viewer is located at http://www.cingular.com/coverageviewer/ T-Mobiles is at http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/default.aspx Sprint has one at http://coverage.sprintpcs.com/IMPACT.jsp?ATR_ExtraOne=UHP_Personal_Coverage

Unfortunately, Verizon nor Alltel have street level coverage maps yet, Verizon's is somewhat detailed though and is available at http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/CoverageLocatorController?requesttype=NEWREQUEST

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. blackrubi

blackrubi New Member

So T-Mobile admits that they can't cover me in the two places I use my cell phone. Their recommendation to me was to put my phone outside and get a blue tooth headset so I can use my phone inside.

Why won't they break their contract for that? It's ridiculous that I have to continue to pay for a service that they admit will not work where I need it to. Anyone I can talk to that will wave the ETF?

kd

7. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Generally, no. There is service in your area, even if it isn't adequate to hold a call in your residence or place of business. You could try, however, to sell your contract off to someone else there's a site in regards to that, or you could "move" to another area where there is no coverage, they may want to see a copy of a lease or something though, I wont encourage you to falsify or lie in this regard but when you relocate to another area they usually are willing to kill your contract with no fuss.

8. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    As much as it hurts to pay the ETF, sometimes it's the only answer. Since it sounds like you are on a 1 year contract, I would suggest waiting it out.

You might want to take advantage of other carriers 15-30 day trials. If you find another carrier that does the job, drop your T-Mobile plan to the lowest rate available on your "My T-Mobile" site. Use the T-Mobile phone sparingly and use the other as your primary. Weigh the costs carefully.

Good Luck.

9. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    I'm having the exact same problem with Verizon. My T-Mobile service is FAR SUPERIOR to Verizon.

I am presently stuck with a sub-standard Nokia 2128i on Verizon. Due to its internal antenna, the phone ALWAYS picks up a weak signal (2-3 bars out of 7), unless the phone is in close proximity to a Verizon cell site (one mile or less) or if in Montreal Canada, the only two places where this phone displays full bars. Verizon tells me that I cannot get a new phone (without paying full price) until two months before the agreement expires, which would be October 2007, and I'm not waiting that long. At this point in time, it is less expensive to pay the ETF ($175) now, than have to put up with a second year of lousy Verizon service.

Same problem, different company...

10. artspaff

artspaff New Member

My Phone:
    LG VX6000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Cingular (Work)
  11. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It seems legit but I wouldn't trust it off the bat, there seems to be hidden charges with that "dealer." I'll see what I can track down as far as they're concerned.

12. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    i have heard a little bit about this and the one way that you can get out of your contract is to simply hand it over to someone else......they wont charge you the ETF cuz the contract keeps going but its just trading hands.....

13. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I contacted Wirecracker earlier via Email, they make their payment of the ETF back on the handset sale and the activation credit they receive from the carrier. So basically, you pay 100 to 125 bux of your ETF, they pick up the remainder and eat it, kinda crafty but at the same time I would be willing to bet their phone selection is somewhat limited. In your case your best bet is to cancel, completely, keep calling Customer support and see if they'll at least lower the ETF for you, keep trying because different operators will treat you differently. You can take the phone you have and use it on Cingular, depending on the unlock method. Perhaps you may want to call today and get the subsidy code for your phone and then tomorrow cancel the contract. This is all theoretically, there's also the drop down to the cheapest plan you can get and eat the cost, that may be the cheapest option, but you won't be able to transfer your #

14. GopherWireless

GopherWireless Junior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry 7520
    Wireless Provider(s):
    NEXTEL, T-Mobile
    Yes, you can have someone else "assume your contract." That is a nice way to get out of a contract if you have someone who will do that. Future bills will be sent to them.

BUT,
    -You will not be able to keep your number.
    -The other person will have to credit-qualify or pay a deposit just as if they were signing up for a new service.

15. GopherWireless

My Phone:
    BlackBerry 7520
    Wireless Provider(s):
    NEXTEL, T-Mobile
    Another solution is to add a mobile or small office/home office reception amplifier to your location(s).

Do not "put your phone outside and get a blue tooth headset so you can use your phone inside." That's crazy and your phone will be ruined/stolen.

Contact me if you are interested in those solutions.

16. blackrubi

blackrubi New Member

Thanks for the offer but, I would rather pay the $200 ETF than have to buy additional equipment to get my phone to work. I don't want to have to drag a reception amplifier back and forth from my home to my office.

Putting the phone outside was T-Mobile's idea. Seems they really know something about customer service. I have several family members cancelling their phones with them.

kd

17. GopherWireless

My Phone:
    BlackBerry 7520
    Wireless Provider(s):
    NEXTEL, T-Mobile
    As long as there is a company that good reception in those places then that's good. Otherwise, you may be looking at boosters.

18. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    He's in suburban Chicago, there are more than a dozen carriers with decent reception in the area. The sad part is Tmobiles coverage there is severely lacking. Btw if you go with cingular, you can get your phone unlocked, bring it as "your own equipment" and not sign a contract with Cingular.

19. blackrubi

blackrubi New Member

It seems that T-Mobile is the only one with problems out here. It's unfortunate they won't help me or do anything about it. They are losing five subscribers because they won't let me out.

Thanks for the tip. I have a RAZR and would like to upgrade to a BlackBerry. It looks like I'll be signing a new contract with a new carrier when I get rid of T-Mobile.

kd

20. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Crackberry's are best on GSM, if you ask me, the Pearl comes to Cingy in 2 days if I'm not mistaken.

21. blackrubi

blackrubi New Member

Are you saying a Blackberry could work with T-Mobile better than my RAZR?

kd

22. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    No I was stating that Blackberry's work better on Tmobile and Cingular than Verizon/Sprint, at the very least in my opinion. The CDMA carriers are too worried about locking features to their services.

23. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    true dat.........all security...no advance

24. blackrubi

blackrubi New Member

That makes sense. I was originally jumping ship to Sprint. I will steer clear now. Thanks for the advice.

kd

25. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yeah dont go to Sprint for their Blackberry's and Smartphones.........ive heard numerous stories about how all of the software edits and locks that Sprint puts on their phones have caused them to lock up......although a lot of the regular phones are okay......however ive known the calll quality to sometimes to be a little iffy.......i dont know....they're pretty good for coverage though

26. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Sprint has fairly decent service in "THE CITY" and it's burbs, but Sprint is a true CDMA carrier, activating only equipment from their own Stores. Btw if you go Cingular, before you leave you can call Tmob and ask for your razr's subsidy code (that will unlock the phone) that way when you don't want to carry around your crackberry just your razr all you have to do is take the SIM out of your crackberry and insert it into the razr.

The WM5 implementation of Sprint Security isn't as bad but still pretty rough, I have a friend who has the ppc6700 (HTC Apache) she hates it because she can't install cab's that aren't security signed, well at least she couldn't before I got a hold of the phones registry. The real problem with CDMA phones is Qualcomm's BREW technology (this would be on actual phones not PDA's) BREW is a proprietary implementation of Java, it's also known as Get It Now and vCast, that's how they lock the phones down.

27. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    ohhhhh well thats good.......at least they know that their phones are mentally retarded and they arent just blowing it off as a con to buying those phones.......haha......

my guess is you dont like blackberry's

28. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Naw, crackberry is an affectionate term because they are so addictive. Same holds true for my Windows Mobile Wizard, I'm so addicted to it I can't stand to be away from it. I freak out if I leave it in another room, yeah I know I need help.

29. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    to bad government funding doesnt support programs for people with crackberry addictions......haha............:lmao:

i would love to have a blackberry but i wouldnt like to use it for making phone calls.......but its organizational features are very attractive...especially email and internet

30. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I think that's a common misconception, pda's are just as well suited for Telephone calls as cellphones. Granted the shape is a bit odd, my wizard feels like holding a brick to my head but that's why I have a corded and a bluetooth headset. Over bluetooth I have excellent call clarity and quality.