Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Switching to AT&T

Discussion in 'AT&T Wireless Forum' started by ComicalMoodyDan, Apr 16, 2012.

1. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Well I'm heading to AT&T, after some issues with Sprint and then switching to T-Mobile prepaid for a bit I'm coming to AT&T. I've been happy with T-Mobile's service but honestly this HTC Wildfire S just isn't cutting it for me, its far too lacking in features and ALWAYS running out of memory. I really need to be on post paid with a higher end phone. I've never had luck with Sprint as a customer or as an employee so no to them, T-Mobile's post paid service actually isn't much cheaper than AT&T or Verizon. So it was pretty much down to AT&T or Verizon for me. I went with AT&T because they offer Unlimited Any Mobile if you have an unlimited messaging package, that really was a big factor and my main reason why I chose to go with AT&T. Can't wait to get my new phone!!! I ordered the Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket in White yesterday online and it should be here Wednesday.

I haven't been an AT&T customer in years but when I had them in the past really had no issues. Sprint's the only carrier I've seen to been stuck in a bad relationship with they always treat me like crap but I keep coming back, not anymore though and prepaid service just isn't for some.

2. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Great to hear you're back with the Deathstar... Let us know how it goes for you.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Honestly Jay I've at this point in time delt with every carrier and I've been the happiest with AT&T and Verizon. T-Mobile I've had mixed luck with and Sprint has just been the worst company to deal with and everything with them is a headache. I had AT&T many years ago with no real issues except I had some service trouble indoors but honestly they have improved a LOT in my area. AT&T is pretty good here now and while they lack an LTE network here my market does appear to have solid HSPA+ coverage with them and this phone supports that at up to 21 Mbps plus LTE whenever it comes here.. So I should get much better data speed with this phone than I did with Sprint's crappy data network and even T-Mobile's 3G network here.

Verizon has LTE here and I hear its super fast but AT&T's network should be pretty fast too but honestly I'd rather sacrifice a little speed and get unlimited calling to any mobile. Plus I really really like the White Skyrocket and I got a GREAT deal on it through my corp discount.

1 person likes this.
  4. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I've stayed with SBC through all the mergers and acquisitions, I've never switched carriers. I've been happy with the network, and since most of my family and friends are on AT&T I'm able to have 3 lines sharing a 500 minute family plan, and we never run out of minutes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I've switched around but I did stay the longest with AT&T and Verizon, Verizon most likely the longest time. My grandmother has an AT&T line and yes her service is pretty good here and I think I'll be happy with AT&T again. Worst part is waiting for your new "toy" heh. Granted I'm going to be paying more with AT&T but honestly anymore with wireless service it does seem to be true that you get what you pay for. Verizon and AT&T do have the best coverage, the best phones, the fastest networks, and in general better CS.

My corp discount only knocks off $8 a month since its just off the voice part only but I'll take what I can get. I also managed to get free activation and by taking a Skyrocket refurb I was able to get the phone free. I figured why not a new one would be $175 for me but I can take a refurb for free with the same return policy and with insurance I'm still covered if something happens to it.

6. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Been home from work a couple of hours now, got the phone today in the mail and it had no charge on it whatsoever. So I'm charging it now, can't wait to use it!

1 person likes this.
  7. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Just a little update on my first day experience with this phone. The battery is holding out well I've used quite a bit of data on it and a little phone use and I still have a decent amount of charge left by now my old HTC EVO 4G that I had on Sprint a short time back would have been dead. Audio quality is great on it, the phone is much more clear and natural sounding than my HTC Wilddire S on T-Mobile that I just came from. The phone is very quick and responsive and the screen is bright and clear, I'm surprised on how well I can see this phone even in direct sunlight. The keyboard is roomy and I can type on it much quicker and more accurately.

Memory is NO longer a problem on this phone as it was with my HTC Wildfire S, I've already installed quite a few apps on the phone using the internal memory completely and I have tons of space left plus my SD card option which I'm not using yet. RF on the phone seems to be excellent although I haven't traveled much yet but at work where every cell issues picking up a signal I noticed this phone picking up a useable data signal where almost every other phone carrier and phone fails including Verizon and that really impressed me!

Data speeds are fairly impressive but it's nothing like the LTE speeds I've seen here from Verizon users but it is much faster than T-Mobile's 3G network here and absoultely blows my Sprint data experience here out of the water. HSPA+ seems to be pretty solid here on data speeds. I've done a few tests at home and on the road near me with results I'm happy with. I've been getting downloads in the 4-6 Mbps range and uploads averaging 900 kbps - 1 Mbps range. I got a bit above 6 Mbps at work in my break room which it seems as though this phone gets a better signal in my break room than T-Mobile gets. Also at work on T-Mobile in that same spot I'd get around 500 Kbps in speed tests and in that same spot AT&T comes in at a little over 6 Mbps! I was very happy with that and I could definately tell a huge difference in checking my facebook in that spot coming from T-Mobile to AT&T.

So far so good!!! Hope it stays that way but as of yet I'm impressed.

2 people like this.
  8. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Just a final update here. I've had AT&T for a bit over two weeks now and I've decided to stay with them. I've been quite impressed with the network improvements in my area as I've said before my voice service is better than what I got with Sprint and the data speeds and network is far superior. Even compared to T-Mobile I get a slightly better voice network but my data speeds are quite a bit better and AT&T has HSPA+ well built out which T-Mobile lacks.

I think what's surprising is how much AT&T has improved in building coverage, I've had very little trouble in picking up a signal inside even in tough spots. Only Verizon seems to have better voice service in my area and honestly anymore its not a lot better than AT&T. Many years ago when I had AT&T I had some issues indoors and honestly for the most part those issues are nearly all fixed. The 3G/4G HSPA+ Network is much better built out and faster here beating everybody but of course Verizon's excellent LTE network in my area. As I said in a previous post I average 4-6 Mbps in most areas (indoors and outdoors) and hit 10 Mbps and a little above in some outdoor high signal areas. I'm quite surprised that even in poorer signal areas indoors that I'm still getting a low of 4 Mbps indoors for downloads, quite impressive!!! Considering I didn't get half that in the best spots with T-Mobile and Sprint well nowhere in the ball park even.

On to AT&T's online account management its much improved over years past with some options I'm surprised you can do online. Such as change your phone number and I even noticed a transfer of liability link online which I have not clicked on but if you can do that online very impressive!!! Although I'd say not all of that can be done online but still even for AT&T to provide information on that process online is nice. I like the AT&T account management online and the android app. On a negative note while the online account is nice and powerful its somewhat cluttered and takes some getting use to on where to find information. Overall though I like it and its better than Sprint's and especially T-Mobile's who has a massively cluttered look and lacked features.

Bottom line it was a tough choice between going back to Verizon or heading to AT&T. I'm happy with AT&T though the voice network is not quite as good as Verizon here but its a close second and its just fine for me. The Data network is not as fast as LTE but its still quite fast and more than fine for me or really anybody's needs for a phone I can imagine. I do have to say though when it comes to retail stores AT&T seems to beat Verizon. The AT&T store just has a better atmosphere than Verizon and the AT&T reps are much more friendly and socialable. AT&T sold me with the Unlimited to Any Mobile feature, I mean isn't that feature just great! It's why I chose AT&T over Verizon. I really liked that feature on Sprint and I'm glad that AT&T offers it as well.

I'm done switching around and I think I'm gonna be an AT&T customer for quite a number of years to come. :)

1 person likes this.