Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

switching phones resets your upgrade benefits?

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by SmArTeStChIlD421, Nov 22, 2007.

1. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    my mom is due for an upgrade in a couple months and she said she doesnt really need the upgrade now.......i do......if i were to use her upgrade to get the phone i wanted and activate it on my account......would i still be able to claim my $150 upgrade benefits when my contract is up to get her a new phone???

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I think right now every time you put a new phone on your line it reups your contract date. But this is just what I have heard.

3. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    well see this is what i had heard as well but i also heard that Sprint was getting some heat about this policy......so they changed it........i just was wondering if there was anything in "writing"

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I thought they got rid of that policy, but I keep hearing different. So I don't know what the real story is. It would be nice to see it in writing directly from Sprint.

5. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    i know that there was an active thread not to long ago with a news article that had a formal statement from Sprint that they were gonna discontinue the policy..........too bad i dont have time to dig it up :biggrin:

6. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    If you activate the phone on her line first, then switch it to yours and reactivate her old phone on her line, you won't need to worry about resetting your eligibility, as the policy only applied to the activation of a new handset.

You are correct in that Sprint has supposedly changed this policy. I had to fight to get my eligibility date fixed though, so it might just be easier to activate it on her line and then switch the phone to yours.

Also, note that if there are additional mail in rebates the ESN is going to have to be active on the upgrade line (your mom's in this case) for 30 days in order for the rebate to be approved.

7. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    thats complicated.......of course i might just call sometime and see of it is possible to do it without all those extra steps but that loop hole does make sense

8. txchick1971

txchick1971 New Member

here's my problem......february 06 i got 2 lines for my kids......my daughter has had 1 replacement thru lockline and a couple replacements thru warranty......last month they replace her phone with a katana because they couldn't fix her phone....my other line was broken 2 weeks ago and they replaced it with a new phone of the same model.....here's the deal.....son's line which was replaced 2weeks ago is eligible for 150 upgrade december 1st....that's 22 months from original contract date........now, what has happened is they say we upgraded my daughter's phone to the katana and she's not eligible for upgrade until 09/08 for 75 ........i am totally ticked off..........both kids what the rumor but i CAN'T GET ANYWHERE WITH CUSTOMER SERVICE........ECARE has offered to send me the phones with 150 rebate on both lines but i've heard some horror storys about ecare and their lies so i'm scared to take that offer.........they keep telling me to go to the sprint store but i have and no one can help me........any suggestions?

9. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Actually eCare is a good way to go. You are right in that warranty and lockline replacements shouldn't reset your date, even if they upgrade the phone to a newer model.

The best thing about eCare is that you will find yourself with the offer in writing. Print out that email they sent you and keep it. Then, if you have any issues later, you have proof of the deal you were offered. If they have notated your account that you are to get the discount, a store rep should see it.

10. rallykid

rallykid New house = No free time

My Phone:
    LG 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint
    The system automatically resets it when you change the ESN. A quick call to care will get it resolved and they can put the proper upgrade codes on the account.

11. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    you would think this would be a bug that they would have worked out of the system by now........whats up with that...........is it characteristic of one of the two systems Premier or ENSEMBLE?) or both?

12. txchick1971

txchick1971 New Member

they told me they couldn't change anything on my account..........doesn't matter i went to best buy this weekend and upgraded my phones........they gave one 150 on the spot and the other i was supposed to get 75 but for some reason i only paid 139 for a 279 phone..........cool ehhh, well then when i got home i emailed ecare and told them i activated the phones and i would like to have the rebates as promised in their email........so they credited my account 150 bucks.........whooohooo, i paid 38 bucks for 2 phones!!!! Merry Xmas i say to myself.

13. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Quick call? Took me well over an hour to get it fixed between all the times I was transferred and placed on hold.

14. txchick1971

txchick1971 New Member

Use Sprint Email Customer Service......you Get Faster Response

15. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    NIce! Glad it all got resolved!

Yeah, ecare is better overall, but I have found lately that they take anywhere from 4 hours to 2 days to get back to me.

16. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

you really do....it takes about a day until they first get back to you but after that all the responses are relatively quick

17. Pixie

Pixie New Member

ANY ESN changes prior to Sept of this year will have reset your eligibility for your upgrade. They tried to work the bugs out for TEP replacement phones but didnt work until Sept in UBP. Even that isnt accurate as swapping to an old handset will still SOMETIMES reset it. It seems to be hit or miss at this point.

They should track by upgrade codes rather than ESN.

18. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yeah but then people could upgrade phones and then never activate them on Sprint..............they could have them unlocked and with the new "openness" policies it will be easier for Verizon Sprint and Alltel customers to switch between the companies.........or at least thats the way it looks