Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Sussex Celluar won't make roaming agreements

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by JMO, Jul 11, 2002.

1. JMO

JMO New Member

[​IMG]

Checked your service area maps for new New Jersey. Notice a small non-service area in the far north west corner. This is Sussex County NJ an area covered by Sussex Cellular, inc. Use your cellular one, att or verison phone in that one county area in New Jersey and you will pay 69 cent roaming charges. According to my provider cellular one. The folks at SUSSEX CELLULAR will not make roaming agreements.

Like the one horse town that preys on tourists passing through. SUSSEX CELLULAR's major profit center is charging roaming charges, With large towers that often extend beyond the border of their service area capturing any roaming moeny they can make.

If you find this practice as distastful as I do, May I suggest that you call or write to their director of Marketing Joe Trent. Better yet, lets attend the hearing for their licence renewal. If any of you have any information on the renewal process please post it.

Perhaps if enough people express their extreme displeasure we can shame these and other preditory small providers in acting ethically, instead of just legally.

2. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    That's why AT&T went into Sussex Co. and built its own digital network.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Joe0378

Joe0378 Senior Member

Hopefully is Verizon changes their Single Rate National plans as rumors are going around come August 1st, then us Verizon people don't have to be getting charged for roaming ever again.

I wonder why Verizon, Sprint nor AT&T have any towers in Sussex County though. I don't travel their though, so I'm good.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

While I haven't been there and can't dispute you, the WA database shows both Verizon and Cell-1 to be the 800MHz providers in Sussex County. It also shows the usual players on 1900. Sussex Cellular isn't even mentioned. So either they are using someone else's licenses (in which case they should get them back!) or the WA database is incorrect.

Since the database shows Cingular offering 1900 AMPS (as well as GSM) there, I would vote for a WA problem. Because there ain't no such thing as 1900MHz AMPS service in the USA.....

5. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Joe, AT&T has towers in the PCS frequency in Sussex Co. (read my post above yours). Coverage is not great but they DO have a presence in Sussex.

Voicestream covers major roads in Sussex Co. (Rt. 23, part of 94, and Rt 15) although it is spotty.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. roamer1

roamer1 In Memoriam

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 680
    Wireless Provider(s):
    lots of orange, a little Little Rock blue
    Verizon has its own coverage in Sussex County (rather complete coverage), as do AT&T, VS/T-Mo, SPCS, and Nextel (all rather limited coverage.)

I don't know how the HELL Sussex stays in business given the way they anger other carriers (even more so than the likes of US Hell and now-nonexistent InterCel)... IMO Sussex is only strangling themselves to death... Maybe Commnet (small carrier with cell sites literally all over the country that all go to a switch in Yuma AZ, www.commnetwireless.com) will buy them [​IMG]

-SC

7. boo99

boo99 Member

Yes AT&T has a tower in Sussex which works in the southern most part.......if you go to RT 23 North of town then theirs no coverage with an AT&T phone.......which is why I got released from contract to Verizon which literally works in 98% of Sussex

jg