Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

SUNCOM Contracts

Discussion in 'All Other Wireless Companies' started by gator1079, Sep 27, 2007.

1. gator1079

gator1079 New Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8703e
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Beware of SUNCOM's contracts. Have been a customer for 11 years. Recently had to cancel due to coverage issues. Yeah, nothing like living in downtown Charleston, SC and having dropped calls and a hard time placing a call at 5pm in the afternoon. That didn't even include going into certain buildings and my Blackberry coverage going into ROAM mode. At any rate, was under contract, with the family share plan. The catch with their contract is that if you cancel before you contract is up, it is a $200 concellation fee PER LINE. On their simple website under each rate plan, they advertise it as "things we want your to know", it says that if you cancel there is a $200 cancellation fee. It says nothing about PER LINE. Not to mention, when I explained to them that I was cancelling , suddenly their so called "Customer Service" went out the window and the lady was rather rude. I was directed to a 1/8 inch link that 1) one could hardly see 2) it looks like typical website legal jargan that all commercial websites have and 3) there were 3 legal paragraphs telling me the opposite of what my contract told me. Go figure.

So don't be a victim. Matter of fact, don't even be a customer of SUNCOM. Their plans are very appealing because of the prices but their Customer Service and phone service SUCK!! Half the time, talking through tin cans with string connecting them would have provided better service.

The good things is that I recently changed to Verizon Wireless. Rate Cost is a little bit higher but the coverage, quality of call, and customer service is A+++. I would rather pay a little more and get great service than pay less and get 3rd rate service.

2. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    Not surprising, SunCom has plenty of weak spots in every city that they serve.
    But in a big city like Charleston, that's just ridiculous!

SunCom is finished anyway, T-Mobile will be taking over their network in about mid-2008.
    By then, they may begin to fill some weaker areas, but I even doubt that.

I honestly don't think SunCom has tried expanding their network (adding more towers) in their coverage area ever since they came into existance. It seems that most of their antennas, (that I've seen), were put up in 1999.

I heard somewhere that this is similar to how T-Mobile is in Atlanta. Not even touching / fixing it

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gator1079

gator1079 New Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8703e
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    The even sadder part to my coverage complaint was that a SUNCOM tower was less than 2 blocks from my office and I couldn't even get full strength and no there were no building obstructions, etc.. When I called to complain, the half wits that they have hired in Customer Service acted like I was bothering them.

While I can't stand the fact I am going to have to fork over $400 for breaking the contract ($200 per line), paying $400 and being done with their crappy service and horrible Customer Service is worth it. Thanks False Advertising SUNCOM

I've had friends that live in Atlanta who have had T-Mobile and loved them. They onyl switched to AT&T b/c of the iPhone. In my opinion, a big mistake. At any rate, T-Mobile may be buying SUNCOM but that won't make the service better. In addition, T-Mobiles service plans are not that impressive.

I will make it my goal to ensure no one I know or anyone I can come in contact ever signs a contract with SUNCOM.

4. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    Another common SunCom story it sounds like! With it now being only a matter of time before T-Mobile takes over the SunCom network, hopefully improvements will be made eventually because of all the potential customers in the city, although I would agree that no help is likely to occur in the short-term. And I've heard numerous SunCom complaints from the time I've spent there while most people, and relatives I know with alltel, At&t, or Verizon seem satisfied with service in that area.

Early Termination Fees per line are pretty much the standard with any provider though. Have you worked out the math to see if it's cheaper than $400 just to pay for service until your contracts are up? Last time I checked, SunCom still had anytime plan changes, so you may be able to drop down to the cheapest plan until then. So if you're within a 4-7 month window it may work out better just to ride out the contract, even if you must have 2 lines.

But I am a little confused about your perspective on T-Mobile service plans being not that impressive. Compared to SunCom I can see it, but compared plan-by-plan against Verizon, it seems like to me that T-Mobile plans are very good while Verizon's plans strike me as the worst in the industry as they give the fewest minutes for the price and no special incentives such as My Faves, My Circle, or early nights. I'm sure from your perspective that the price is justifiable because the coverage is much better, however in most cases involving SunCom, it's just a matter of SunCom being that much worse than anybody else in terms of coverage, call quality, as well as customer service. IMO, SunCom's track record for an inferior coverage area and customer service is already well-established for anybody that does their on-line research. Just as Verizon's track record is that you'll pay more for their service while they rely on their abundant marketing campaign of how 'reliable' the network is to bring in more subscribers.

#4 UFO, Sep 29, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  5. gator1079

gator1079 New Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8703e
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    UFO, you make very good points regarding the different plans.

Paying to get out the contract will be more cost effective. Had I upgraded my plan with SUNCOM and by the time I added my additional features (Blackberry, unlimited SUNCOM to SUNCOM called, unlimited Nights & weekends), I would have been paying more for the SUNCOM plan than I will be for the Verizon plan. To the tune of about $30 more a month. Not to mention, being a state employee, Verizon provides a very nice incentive and discount package on all items added to the account. In addition, their Internet service is much more reliable and faster as well.

To answer your question regard the confusion on why I didn't find T-Mobile plans impressive, my phone is used primarily for business calls and Email. While the Fave 5 with T-Mobile is great for those that speak with 5 people on a regular basis. Unfortunately, in my case, I don't have any one particular person that I speak with regularly (other than family). At any rate, I've heard nothing buy good things from friends regarding T-Mobile. I just wasn't able to sit and wait for them to take over SUNCOM. Something I wish would have happened earlier than now.

With Verizon, the "IN" calling has been surprising useful. More so than I ever expected. I can speak with anyone in the network and it not count against my minutes. I've utilized this option more than I have my package minutes.

I do in fact think T-Mobile will provide a breath of fresh air for those who have "just gotten accustomed" to SUNCOM's horrible customer service and cheap rates.

Regarding the $200 per line termination fee, my problem is that they were deceiving when I switched plans. It said on the webpage $200 and I was told when I made the change that it was $200 if I cancelled. No where did it mention or was I told the cancellation was "per a line". Which by the way, now if you make any changes to your plan, you re-up your contract for another 2 years. Again, we come back to the same issue, their Customer Service lacks competent training which costs the customers in the long run. You can literally call and ask a question, get told one thing, and call back with the same question and get told something else by another person. Talk about Corporate miscommunication.

6. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon is worth way more than SunCom in many ways, Especially the National coverage.
    SunCom's roaming fees are one of the most outrageous I've seen in renent memory.
    Any SunCom Plan (UnPlan) is either $60/mo with 10¢ roaming plus LD fees, $80/mo with 50¢ roaming, or $150/mo with no roaming.
    Also, Add-a-line with SunCom is expensive. It's $10-20 more for each line added on their limited anytime minutes plans,
    and add-a-line is unavailable for their UnPlan America Unlimited plan.
    So Verizon is clearly a better choice.

We were all waiting for this,
    it should've been done years ago, but SunCom made no effort in expanding their service to others in rural Carolina.
    I live right Behind an AT&T tower (that was built in 1996) and then, in 1999
    (according to neighbors) SunCom was added to it, just as their service was about to be launched,
    In the Meantime, they sould get out of Berwyn PA, and go move their HQ where their coverage area really is.

On the CDMA side, Sprint's PCS & iDEN needs major improvement the the rural Carolinas.
    I'm only 3 miles from Interstate 85, but Sprint service sux, (so we switched to Alltel after we moved here).
    At my location, out of every available carrier, only Sprint weak.

But back to SunCom, it's the last tower in Southern Cherokee County (also my current avatar),
    so 2 miles to my south, it's bad signal, and beyond that is no service until the Columbia metro area.

Well, T-Mobile is still kinda slow when it comes to expanding their service.
    I have a few friends in Rural NJ with T-mobile.
    They live on a very busy road, but their T-Mobile signal is 2-3 bars outside, or 0-1 bars inside (out of 6 total bars).
    If they were to expand SunCom's area at all, it'll be at least a year after they take over, We should be patient with them.

I basically forgot that my service has a two year contract.
    My Alltel service is so good, that I just don't care about a two year contract.
    I've only had Alltel since September 2006, and it feels like I just got their service.
    Two years goes by pretty fast when the service is good! :D

I think everyone looking to get a cell phone should look at more research on the company, not the phones offered,
    this way they know what their gonna be paying for.
    The iPhone is no excuse to switch to AT&T, in two years, I know there will be way better phones...

I'm surprised the FCC lets companies get away with "Too Good To Be True" ads, which plays with our brain,
    which is what I like to call FALSE ADVERTISING.
    I like to be funny and say that the commercials should have more emphasis on the disclaimer.
    I wonder what would happen if that became a law! :lmao:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #6 KyleAndMelissa22, Sep 29, 2007
  7. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Here's SunCom's "Truth In Wireless" disclaimer from their website for UnPlan:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Things we want you to know:

-At SunCom, we believe in giving you all the information up front so you'll never be taken by surprise.

-When you sign up for SunCom Service, there is a $35 activation fee for the first line.
    Additional activation fees are $10. If you cancel service before the end of your agreement, you will be charged a $200 early cancellation fee.

-SunCom Service is available to people who live in most North and South Carolina Zip codes,
    parts of Tennessee and Georgia and a small part of southwest Virginia.

-The SunCom Network has been built to provide a high level of service,
    but on occasion you may find that a call is dropped or can't be placed because of transmission limitations.

-Taxes and government fees are additional.

-Monthly service charges are based on a two-year agreement.
    One year and month-to-month pricing are not available with the SunCom Network UnPlans or the SunCom American Unlimited Plan.

-For the one year SunCom Unplan, add $5 a month.
    -Additional lines are only available with two-year agreements.
    -Additional lines are not available with the SunCom American Unlimited Plan.

-SunCom may also terminate your agreement or change your service plan if you use your service (voice and data)
    in a manner that is excessive or unreasonable with respect to volume or length of calls for normal personal use
    when compared to the predominant volume or length of calls of other customers on a similar rate plan or in your geographic area,
    or move from our service area.

-The SunCom Network UnPlan roam restricted option allows you to make calls only on the SunCom Network.
    911 calls are the only calls that can be placed when not on the SunCom network.

-The SunCom Network UnPlan with .10 roaming will allow you to use your phone off of the SunCom Network,
    and you will be charged a roaming fee of 10 cents per minute which includes any applicable domestic long distance charges.
    The 10 cent per minute charge applies anywhere in the 50 U.S. states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

8. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    That makes sense, but I did want to just check and make sure you did the math and were going the least expensive route. And it is true that SunCom has all kinds of small nickel and dime fees for things other carriers throw in for free. The reason for the faster internet is because Verizon shows the area as being covered by EVDO, high-speed data. The only two providers in Charleston that have upgraded the towers to high-speed are Verizon and Alltel.

But I still think by shopping around you could have found a better deal because Verizon plans are still so much more expensive than any other provider except SunCom, even factoring in the discount. You could have gotten a Sprint SERO data plan for as little as $30/month, although I would not recommend them for coverage concerns either. Focusing in on high-speed providers in Charleston, for a single line with blackberry unlimited data and texting with Verizon you're looking at about $129, before any possible discounts, with unlimited M2M and N&W. Verizon also caps their "unlimited" data to 5 GB/month. So if you use a lot of data and your phone as a modem, it's not unrealistic to conceive that you may go over that limit and have Verizon cancel your service. A comparable Alltel plan might be $109, before possible discounts which they also usually have for state employees, for 1200 mins, My Circle, N&W starting at 7, M2M, and actual unlimited data. The anytime minutes are a bit different but the earlier night and My Circle make up for it seemingly. But I'm sure you didn't consider every provider in-depth and in detail and in your situation, all the advertising of how great Verizon's network is, had a lot to do with you choosing them.

So I do think you made a great choice by leaving SunCom. They are a horrible provider with horrible customer service, and in your situation they are also excessively expensive. My mere point is that Verizon is a little pricey too in response to your original comment that 'the rate cost is a little higher ... but you'd rather pay more', although overall they are a very good choice with all the possible options in your area and far better than SunCom.
    That certainly is a situation in which Verizon plans appear much more appealing than T-Mobile's. If you look at other plans rather than the MyFaves plans though, and the way I was comparing, was that T-Mobile generally gives more anytime minutes for the price, although they do restrict Mobile-to-Mobile, but if you talk to a variety of people, many of which have Verizon, then the Verizon plans are more appealing than T-Mobile. But I would tend to agree with Kyleand Melissa on this subject, even if T-Mobile becomes an option in the future, I don't think they'll ever have any customers rave about coverage in your area. My point just that the plans were good, but from my time carrying around a T-Mobile, Verizon, and alltel phone, I would rank T-Mobile last for the Southeast part of the country. And specifically in the Carolinas, they've got their hands full needing to fix the SunCom network throughout those two states. And I don't think a foreign-owned company will move very quick to plug every single hole as much as they'll only upgrade and improve the network where the most people are to maximize profits.
    That does sound very shady. I was under the impression that SunCom still allowed anytime plan changes. I did not know, nor do I think it is right, that changes to one line on the account would result in contract extensions on both lines.

But thank you for providing the extra details. They go a long way in explaining your hassle with SunCom and provide another clear example of the inferior coverage and customer service they provide.

#8 UFO, Sep 29, 2007
  9. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    I'm no longer able to edit my above post, but this was when I specifically looked up the 1350 anytime minute plan. A slightly higher level which I though a business mobile user might need. I just realized that I didn't list the anytime minutes included which might have made my comparison between equivalent plans very confusion between the Sprint SERO and Alltel 1200 min plan with the other bonus features. Sorry about that.